Flashback Friday!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I don't know when it happened, but it happened within the past 3 years. Curly had gained A LOT of weight. I would like to think it was the fault of moving to the mountain and not being able to go on as many walks because of wildlife, but truly it was our fault.

His metabolism had slowed down and we didn't notice, at all. November 2018, we had a 92 lbs bulldog. We didn't think he was overweight at the time...but looking back, wow.

Back in November 2018, mi'me, my Boston terrier mix had some teeth pulled so I ended up buying her canned Fromms shredded pork because she could only eat canned food for a month. It was expensive and my husband started looking at the ingredients and said - I bet I can make this but better...

My husband is fortunate enough to work with Army Veterinarians and he did a lot of research. He started making homemade food for all the dogs. We talked about going the raw route but it really isn't very feasible for where we live and our lifestyles.

As some know, my husband currently is on assignment for about 2 years in LA. So now, my husband comes into town one weekend a month just to make a month batch of food for the dogs, which we freeze. The dogs are now on 90% homemade food and 10% kibble (I throw some kibble in there when we start running low on food while I wait for my husband's weekend).

Anyhow, Curly started shedding weight when we started him on it November of last year. One year later he has lost 22lbs and is now 70lbs.

He is a big bulldog, in general, but the vet wants him to lose about 5-10 more pounds...however, he has been through a lot this year and, the reality is, though he is in remission, dogs with lymphoma only have about 6-12 months life expectancy after chemo. So that said, we are going to continue to maintain his 70lbs and let him live his best year.

We are so happy with his accomplishment. And wanted to share his flashback Friday photos

(Btw, we had a bunch of puppy pads left over the years so we now use them under his water dish, hence the puppy pads)
1c5d41e66460cbd1a29b092022f41a5d.jpg
40704e3cf9ae75584fd898229d3de9cb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
What a difference! Thanks for sharing.

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
Wow. He doesnā€™t look like the same dog.. Iā€™m so sorry to hear of his diagnosis and will say a prayer for all of you involved to get through it.. HUGS!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Good job! He looks great. 22lbs in a year is a lot but homemade or raw a dog will shed faster as itā€™s digested much easier. Very healthy way to lose weight. Have you looked into CBD oil for his lymphoma? Very effective.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Good job! He looks great. 22lbs in a year is a lot but homemade or raw a dog will shed faster as itā€™s digested much easier. Very healthy way to lose weight. Have you looked into CBD oil for his lymphoma? Very effective.
Yup! He is on a full spectrum CBD now.

In terms of the food, the vet said that kibble has concentrated calories...so with the homemade food we could give him a lot more to fill his belly but still had less calories than giving him straight kibble.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Wow. He doesnā€™t look like the same dog.. Iā€™m so sorry to hear of his diagnosis and will say a prayer for all of you involved to get through it.. HUGS!
My husband said that Curly looked like a baby hippo last year [emoji23][emoji23]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a fantastic job you both have done... C-Man is living a wonderful life and we are getting to enjoy him with you!

He looks great... an amazing difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
WOW what an accomplishment!!! TRUE LOVE!!! I'm sure the health benefits will be huge :) I pray for good prognosis with the lymphoma

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
Curly looks great. Do you have a recipe for his food that you could share?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Excellent work! Please give Curly a big ole squeeze from me!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel and Bentley say good job to Curly. Curly.....you are the man.

Happy Veterans Day Stu...thanks for your service.

Btw...still waiting for my Tommy's chili cheese burger and the Hollenbeck burrito from El Tepeyac.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.