Recommendations following soft palate surgery

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Crabcake had his soft palate surgery today. I got the good news quickly that the surgery went well and he woke up with no issues. Hoping to get him back tomorrow morning if inflammation is kept down tonight. Do you guys have any recommendations in terms of what and how much food to give him, should he be crated to keep him calmer, or anything to ask the doctor tomorrow? Thank you

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Awesome that all went well... soft food for at least three - five days. I usually do ground beef with egg noodles.

How old is crab cake?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Jake had his done a couple months ago n all is great. I didn’t crate him at all. He goes on his own but the door is always open. I feed mine raw so I just thawed it out. If yours is on kibbles, Christine gave you a great option. Basically anything healthy but soft n moist.

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
about to turn 3 years old, he is on a mix of dry and wet. My plan was to stick to just wet so that his diet doesn't change much for the week

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
My plan was to stick to just wet so that his diet doesn't change much for the week
Thats a good plan. Be on the lookout for any signs of labored breathing. Report concerns to you Vet right away. Be pushy if you have to. First couple of days there will be some swelling so a little noise is normal. After two days you should begin to see improvement(less noise). In a week to 10 days he’ll be doing great. Hoping all goes smooth for the Cakemeister.

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Thats a good plan. Be on the lookout for any signs of labored breathing. Report concerns to you Vet right away. Be pushy if you have to. First couple of days there will be some swelling so a little noise is normal. After two days you should begin to see improvement(less noise). In a week to 10 days he’ll be doing great. Hoping all goes smooth for the Cakemeister.

Ty for your help. Keeping that dude calm is going to be quite the challenge. I took all of his toys off floor and anything he might jumpm up for. Also going to try to keep him off the couch which will be difficult. Im sure everyone here knows, they just have such short bursts of energy that keeping him calm is quite the challenge

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Ty for your help. Keeping that dude calm is going to be quite the challenge. I took all of his toys off floor and anything he might jumpm up for. Also going to try to keep him off the couch which will be difficult. Im sure everyone here knows, they just have such short bursts of energy that keeping him calm is quite the challenge

He’s home now but there is a lot of inflammation and he is making a lot of gurgling noises and tons of drooling that he can’t control. Trying to ignore him as much as possible so that he doesn’t get excited at all which is very difficult. Also he has dried blood still in his folds that really makes me question the doctor

The surgeon recommended kibble and absolutely not wet food which seems so nonsensical to me for a sore throat. Hopefully this all works out long term but man this does not feel good right now

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He’s home now but there is a lot of inflammation and he is making a lot of gurgling noises and tons of drooling that he can’t control. Trying to ignore him as much as possible so that he doesn’t get excited at all which is very difficult. Also he has dried blood still in his folds that really makes me question the doctor

The surgeon recommended kibble and absolutely not wet food which seems so nonsensical to me for a sore throat. Hopefully this all works out long term but man this does not feel good right now

What? Kibble? No, soft wet food. Also, no barking it can cause scar tissue to form. And, what do you mean blood in folds? I’m no understanding why there would be any there? I have two go through this surgery, and our Frenchie actually three times ( second was due to a barking, scar tissue and to be removed, Nd third was due to regrowth).. never any blood

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

You follow the Vet’s recommendation you’ll be going back very soon for other issues. Guarantee wet food only! Jake had some gurgling noises too but no drooling n no blood in his folds. You didn’t get the nostrils done correct? Would probably answer the blood in folds. If not the vet should of at least clean him up while he was still asleep or at least before you picking him up. When I brought Jake home he was out for a good 24hrs. He wasn’t moving much. Just laid there. It’s normal so don’t worry about that part. Feed him wet food n if he’s the inhale type, give him smaller portions at a time. He’ll be fine. It took Jake a good month before noise to stopped. All dogs are different so yours might heal faster, idk. Keep us posted :)

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Ughhh, I asked this surgeon and assistants multiple times about the wet food/dry food and they were all insistent on dry food. He didn't touch his dry food today and only ate things that I wrapped the medicine in like cheese bites and roast beef. Really don't know what to do but think im going to go with my gut and just feed him the wet food. Going to try and contact my regular vet to see his opinion on things.

The dried blood was from them getting his nostrils done. This was a last second thing that I was unaware of going into the procedure, and they explained to me that this was standard on every soft palate surgery that they conducted. Still thought it was beyond ridiculous that they did not clean it up while he was asleep because it is going to take me a couple of days to clean his folds because I don't want him panicking or breathing too hard while i clean them.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ughhh, I asked this surgeon and assistants multiple times about the wet food/dry food and they were all insistent on dry food. He didn't touch his dry food today and only ate things that I wrapped the medicine in like cheese bites and roast beef. Really don't know what to do but think im going to go with my gut and just feed him the wet food. Going to try and contact my regular vet to see his opinion on things.

The dried blood was from them getting his nostrils done. This was a last second thing that I was unaware of going into the procedure, and they explained to me that this was standard on every soft palate surgery that they conducted. Still thought it was beyond ridiculous that they did not clean it up while he was asleep because it is going to take me a couple of days to clean his folds because I don't want him panicking or breathing too hard while i clean them.

Holy cow... I’m not liking anything you say about this surgery. Nares tend to be needed but not in EVERY. Instance.

Please keep us posted and give him soft food... think of you having a sore throat and how soft foods hurt less than eating a hoagie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

You were unaware him having the nostrils done??? There’s a money grab vet for you. I’m so sorry you have to go through all of this. I just hate when vets think of their pocket before the client’s. Jake never got his nostrils done as they are as they call it “medium “ opening. My vet doesn’t like doing both at the same time as he said it creates too much swelling in the same area especially for this type of breed. So basically yours will have more swelling n that’s one big reason NOT to feed any kibbles for now. Yes go with your gut and stick to soft food n go see your regular vet. If he had both surgery done I would extend a few more days with wet food. Home cook for him. Get some protein n veggies. Like boil a turkey for a good 8hrs, keep the broth n ziploc the meals for the week. Add you veggies, turkey n broth. You’ll have a happy healthy fur baby loving his meals.

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Ty for all the help. Still waiting to hear back from my vet, decided to give him a small portion of wet food, maybe a few times today. He seems to be in better spirits today, very affectionate and far less of the gurgling noises, although he is certainly snoring quite loudly which actually is rather rare for him. Hopefully these are positive signs, been a stressful couple of days so far.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ty for all the help. Still waiting to hear back from my vet, decided to give him a small portion of wet food, maybe a few times today. He seems to be in better spirits today, very affectionate and far less of the gurgling noises, although he is certainly snoring quite loudly which actually is rather rare for him. Hopefully these are positive signs, been a stressful couple of days so far.

Good signs n good decision on wet food. :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Great that the surgery went well. I remember that when Castor went through this, the vet told us to start him on some new kibble (allergy kibble) at once. The poor pup threw up and it was absolutely awful before I realised he needed bland soft food (I probably got that advice here!). As soon as we switched to boiled rice/minced meat, things changed and Castor was like a new dog. I have no idea why vets say newly operated dogs should eat kibble (and in our case, it was a really good hospital and a very experienced vet). Anyway, if you give kibble, at least soak it (pour hot water over and leave to cool before serving) as that will make the food much softer.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.