Recommendations following soft palate surgery

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ty for all the help. Still waiting to hear back from my vet, decided to give him a small portion of wet food, maybe a few times today. He seems to be in better spirits today, very affectionate and far less of the gurgling noises, although he is certainly snoring quite loudly which actually is rather rare for him. Hopefully these are positive signs, been a stressful couple of days so far.

Right direction... keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Great that the surgery went well. I remember that when Castor went through this, the vet told us to start him on some new kibble (allergy kibble) at once. The poor pup threw up and it was absolutely awful before I realised he needed bland soft food (I probably got that advice here!). As soon as we switched to boiled rice/minced meat, things changed and Castor was like a new dog. I have no idea why vets say newly operated dogs should eat kibble (and in our case, it was a really good hospital and a very experienced vet). Anyway, if you give kibble, at least soak it (pour hot water over and leave to cool before serving) as that will make the food much softer.

That sounds like a good idea ill try to do that tonight

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
So my normal vet just called me. He said he has been unable to get in touch with my surgeon so far, but he agreed with the approach of mixing his wet food with the dry food that has been softened with hot water. He said that it sounded quite unusual to give him dry food although everything was case to case, and I was telling him that it wasn't a specific case that it was just her general recommendation towards all following the surgery. He is trying to get back in touch with her for more info, but I am going to try out the wet food with soft dry food plan tonight and go from there.

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Thank you so much for the idea of putting hot water on the dry food, he devoured the food for the first time since he has been home.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you so much for the idea of putting hot water on the dry food, he devoured the food for the first time since he has been home.

Great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Never kibble after palate surgery. We always give some sort of soft food. Go with gut.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.