Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Hi all, help or advice is much appreciated

We have been to the vets today as Bruce has had an upset tummy for 5 days now.

He is drinking and seems normal in himself just quite bad diarrhoea.

The vet has advised we keep him on a diet of chicken, rice, eggs and potatoes for the next 5 days.

I am just concerned about the amount to give him as he seems to be starving. He is 6 months old and is on 2 feeds a day usually with his kibble around 300-400g.

I am feeding him little and often whilst his tummy settles back down but he seems so hungry. I want to ensure he gets the right amount of food to help with his development and growth but at the same time dont want to upset his tummy more or start to over feed him.

What do I do?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] help with the metrics, please.

I would give at least 1 1/2 cups per meal...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi all, help or advice is much appreciated

We have been to the vets today as Bruce has had an upset tummy for 5 days now.

He is drinking and seems normal in himself just quite bad diarrhoea.

The vet has advised we keep him on a diet of chicken, rice, eggs and potatoes for the next 5 days.

I am just concerned about the amount to give him as he seems to be starving. He is 6 months old and is on 2 feeds a day usually with his kibble around 300-400g.

I am feeding him little and often whilst his tummy settles back down but he seems so hungry. I want to ensure he gets the right amount of food to help with his development and growth but at the same time dont want to upset his tummy more or start to over feed him.

What do I do?

Hereā€™s the conversion

Donā€™t forget measuring butter, water, flour will have a slight difference... goes by density. Example butter 113g. and flour 64g for a 1/2 cup. Why Iā€™m giving the formula below for your measurements. Also when youā€™re feeding real food or raw, dogs all seems to be starving as itā€™s digested fast because itā€™s much lighter n doesnā€™t sit in the stomach like kibbles. You mentioned 2 feeds a day usually with his kibble around 300-400g. 454g is one pound thatā€™s a lot. He doesnā€™t need more. Now just double checking here, youā€™re not feeding him 2x a day 300-400g? Cause thatā€™s a lot of food even for me :)

1/3 cup 76 grams.
1/2 cup 113 grams.
1 cup 227 grams

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Hereā€™s the conversion

Donā€™t forget measuring butter, water, flour will have a slight difference... goes by density. Example butter 113g. and flour 64g for a 1/2 cup. Why Iā€™m giving the formula below for your measurements. Also when youā€™re feeding real food or raw, dogs all seems to be starving as itā€™s digested fast because itā€™s much lighter n doesnā€™t sit in the stomach like kibbles. You mentioned 2 feeds a day usually with his kibble around 300-400g. 454g is one pound thatā€™s a lot. He doesnā€™t need more. Now just double checking here, youā€™re not feeding him 2x a day 300-400g? Cause thatā€™s a lot of food even for me :)

1/3 cup 76 grams.
1/2 cup 113 grams.
1 cup 227 grams

Hi thank you for the advice

No I feed him 300-400g shared across both feeds.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor Bruce! Here vets say it's more important that dogs drink than that they eat. We stick to small portions when Castor's tummy is upset. I cook pudding rice (round rice) in lots of water (at least twice as much as usual) and let it boil for 40-60 mins on low heat. I add chicken or minced meat after a while plus more water if needed. Nothing else. When the 'soup' has cooled off, Castor gets 1-2 dl, 2-3 times a day.

Bruce is so young that it is probably more important that he eats, but on the other hand, you don't want to feed him so much that his tummy cannot handle it. Small portions across the day I would think is the best strategy (but I am no vet so trust your vet's recommendations on portion size!).

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
300-400 grams of wet food not equivalent in nutrients to 300-400 gr of kibble, as kibble is very concentrated food. He might need a bit more. What is your puppyā€™s weight? Normally it is recommended to take weight in kg and feed 3% of his weight. But I feed my dog more, I cook at home for him, I feed Around 5-6%, he is 25 kg and gets 1200 gram of food a day in two portions, and he is not fat. He is quite active boy. But as you donā€™t want to overfeed you puppy with upset tummy may be look at 3%. Another option - just try to add a bit to each meal, like 25-30 grams and see if he looks more satisfied.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Was he tested for parasites?

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
He was not tested for anything.
The vets asked questions, took his temperature and felt around. He then said just give him another 5 days on a diet of chicken, rice, egg and potatoes

- - - Updated - - -

300-400 grams of wet food not equivalent in nutrients to 300-400 gr of kibble, as kibble is very concentrated food. He might need a bit more. What is your puppyā€™s weight? Normally it is recommended to take weight in kg and feed 3% of his weight. But I feed my dog more, I cook at home for him, I feed Around 5-6%, he is 25 kg and gets 1200 gram of food a day in two portions, and he is not fat. He is quite active boy. But as you donā€™t want to overfeed you puppy with upset tummy may be look at 3%. Another option - just try to add a bit to each meal, like 25-30 grams and see if he looks more satisfied.

His weight is 20kg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] 20k is 44lbs.
[MENTION=19086]Amy89[/MENTION] yes follow your Vetā€™s advise 1lb or your 400g is good as you donā€™t want to over feed him right now. Needs to clean his inside so you canā€™t stuff him. Why you mixing his kibbles with the bland diet? Why not just the bland diet?

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] 20k is 44lbs.
[MENTION=19086]Amy89[/MENTION] yes follow your Vetā€™s advise 1lb or your 400g is good as you donā€™t want to over feed him right now. Needs to clean his inside so you canā€™t stuff him. Why you mixing his kibbles with the bland diet? Why not just the bland diet?

Sorry there must be some misunderstanding. I am only giving him the bland diet and have since sunday

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
He was not tested for anything.
The vets asked questions, took his temperature and felt around. He then said just give him another 5 days on a diet of chicken, rice, egg and potatoes

- - - Updated - - -

His weight is 20kg

It might be worth having a fecal test done to rule out parasites. Giardia and others can cause diarrhea.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
It might be worth having a fecal test done to rule out parasites. Giardia and others can cause diarrhea.

I will give him till sunday as the vets said and if he is no better take him back and demand some tests.

He has been bad since Friday and been on a bland diet since sunday

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
It seems to be getting worse.

It is now a sort of yellow/caramel colour liquid coming out. I have ready this could be a food intolerance. Could the bland food be making it worse?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It seems to be getting worse.

It is now a sort of yellow/caramel colour liquid coming out. I have ready this could be a food intolerance. Could the bland food be making it worse?

Call the vet n let him/her know itā€™s worse. Also I would personally remove the eggs n potatoes. I would keep the rice n chicken only. Also try boiling the chicken for a few hours n add that broth to the bland diet. Broth is full of minerals which they need.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Call the vet n let him/her know itā€™s worse. Also I would personally remove the eggs n potatoes. I would keep the rice n chicken only. Also try boiling the chicken for a few hours n add that broth to the bland diet. Broth is full of minerals which they need.

I'll give them a call in the morning.

I will definitely remove the eggs, I have been boiling the chicken but not for a few hours. I'll add the broth too. Thank you

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online