Well no new fur baby for me this year :(

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Doesn't look like there is a baby bully in my future, at least for this year. :angry: God has decided my money and plans are best used towards a skin baby at this time!! :p Out of all the things that have gone wrong for me the past year, this happens at a horrible time. But I will take it as my path and rejoice in the fact that I am blessed with this gift. While I am a little miffed my birth control didn't work, I am happy to give my son a brother or sister.

So my reason for posting of course is to know how best to integrate Bear into this situation. I know how my other dog is with babies. Bear is just well he's a bully.

Any advice on that introduction is great. I do have some time, nearly out of my first trimester (keeping fingers crossed nothing happens of course).

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
CONGRATULATIONS! That is wonderful news :). Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy. I never did anything special introducing baby and puppy. Maybe someone else has good suggestions.

L

Lucy-licious

congratulations [MENTION=676]mammyglicks[/MENTION] hope you have a happy pregnancy :)

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
Awwwww congrats. I don't have any advice either as I don't have any kids but good luck hopefully there will be more helpful people on here that will be able to help.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Congrats. Hoping you have a wonderful pregnancy

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Congrats. I know it wasn't planned but once that little bundle appears the world just seems to get better. I don't have little ones with the bullies. However both my kids were born with a spoiled rotten Springer in the house. I did what I had read to do. Place the baby on the floor and let the dog sniff them out. Gordon did great and they all grew up to be best friends. I know as loving and gentle bullies are, you shouldn't have any trouble. [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] should be able to confirm.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
CONGRATULATIONS !!! Funny how you make it sound like it's bad news. :D. Sorry, don't have any tips either, but it'll be interesting what other people will say!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh Congratulations!!! How exciting!!!

Just keep him away for about a week when you first bring baby home. Once the baby's poo is regular, and diaper is full, introduce baby butt to bulldog. Works like a charm! After I did this they stopped freaking and jumping all over the place! I was so afraid our babies would get scratched! Was not long after I could put their chair on the floor. Got a lot of licks but never any pawing or scratching :up:

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Thank you everyone!! [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] I didn't mean to sound like it is bad news. Thats the bully obsession kicking in, I was looking forward to another one, this is just something extremely different I wasn't planning on to look forward to. I am excited.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] Thank you. I am sure i'll have more questions as time passes. Bear is just so loveable he doesn't know his own strength and it is a concern for me with a newborn. Bear kind of "attacked" me last week. He was insistent on getting my ponytail holder out of my hair. I was actually kind of scared and he scratched me up getting him off of me, boy he is strong. It was unexpected and not sure what my hair did to piss him off but I can't have a pony tail or I can't even twist my hair into a bun, it's like Bear Bully Crack or something.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We have our second EBN baby on the way! Congrats on the upcoming mini-4-pawer!

Did we ever find out if Bear and O are related? Cause she just bit me on the thigh. She didn't even say she was sorry! :angry:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Congrats on the new addition! Are you going to try to find out in advance if it's a boy or girl?

Could Bear be thinking you have a toy hiding in your hair when it's in a pony tail or bun?

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
The best advice I can give to you is take it slow. I have three kids (ages 8, 4,3) and I'm babysitting my newborn niece. This may sound weird, but I asked my sister for one of my nieces blankets, one that had not been washed so that it still smelled like her. I gave it to Rosie so that she could start recognizing her 'scent'. Then each day I let Rosie come in and smell Emma for a few minutes, gradually increasing the time they were together (atleast in the same room). I also used a baby gate and kept the baby in the room with me and let Rosie and our other dog (who couldn't give two licks about a new baby) have the roam of the house but they were still close enough to hear and see and smell the baby. So when the baby cried Rosie was able to get used to hearing it, without me worrying about how she could harm the baby (not worried about biting, worried about her jumping on the baby:)). Rosie doesn't have a mean bone in her body, but you can never be too careful when it comes to a newborn and a #65, bullheaded bulldog:) I have only owned one bulldog, but I can tell you that she has been wonderful with the baby-and you know they're good with older kids. Only thing I can say is that she was VERY VERY curious about her in the beginning. So it's best to get them acclimated to each other in the beginning. I don't agree with those that keep the animals seperated from the baby. We're all one big happy family here and nobody is getting segregated because of a new addition. Bear will be great with the baby I'm sure of it. Bulldogs are so darn loving!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh congrats!!!!!! Yay a 2nd ebn baby!!!!!!!!! How exciting!!!! :D Oh do not stress over how Bear will do, it works out amazing actually. The idea of bringing home the baby blanket is a good one and I had heard that also but we never actually remembered at the time. lol. Cutty LOVES the babies just like most bullies would and of course he thinks he is a gentle little pug who is really a big bull in a china shop so at first you really cant be too careful. I let the boys sniff both girls when we first came home but didnt let them on the couch where we were holding at first. It did crack me up how attentive Cutty was at first. My gosh when Paige first woke up crying he was up with me, right by my side thinking "what is wrong?!" (That wore off after a few days and he stayed in bed when I got up, haha) The only problem I have with Cutty now is he over cleans Paige and I have to step in to relieve her from his slobbery kisses. He just LOVES babies and I am sure Bear will too. It is fun watching it actually cuz Mugsy kinda likes her enough to kiss on her for a minute but if she is crying he is running the other way.
So when is the due date?!?! How are you feeling? Hopefully you have a great pregnancy and enjoy it all like I was able to. Any fun cravings? :lol:

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] Bear and O need to get together, I wish we were much closer. LOL. I can only imagine the mayhem those two would cause. I have to get his AKC papers out and post. I just have to dig. Who is the other one expecting?

[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] I want a surprise but I am impatient and the hubby will most likely want to know anyway so he can get all the stuff. Bear must think its a toy, and you know bullies and their toys or food, STAY OUT OF THE WAY, lol.

[MENTION=2156]Rosiesmom[/MENTION] I will have to try the blanket thing too. Bear just doesn't know his own strength so for that I would have to keep him away. I would never leave him alone with a baby.

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] I am uncertain of an exact date but its a good ways away and I am OK with that. I have been on the depo shot. I had my last shot Feb 28th. My boobs had been hurting which only ever happened this way when i was pregnant, so yesterday when i went to my PCP she confirmed it. She thinks I was pregnant prior to the shot and claims i should be fine with having that. So I am about 11 weeks give or take. Not out of the woods but I had to share with someone and I have a WHOLE BOARD here, lol. I won't tell family until I am in the clear. I've been under the weather sick to my stomach and absolutely not eating but I thought I was getting sick. Thinking of meat is making me ill, the only thing I think I could stomach is grits. So I bought some. That and fruit. My full pregnancy with my son was fantastic. I threw up ONE time, never missed a day of work (at the time i was in an office), craved pineapple and cookie dough, my water broke at work 3 weeks early, put on pitocin at 7pm, epidural at 9pm, pushed at 1230a and he was here. I was a moron thinking I could go natural. I admire any woman who has been able to do it. I have negative infinity pain tolerance. Oh well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online