Paw problems

BullyGiGi

Jul 13, 2018
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba J
Hi yall, been awhile since I've been on. Hope y'all are doin great!! Our Bully, Bubba J, is experiencing paw issues. Vet said they are prone to cysts between there paws. Doc gave him a shot to alleviate the swelling but I wanna do more. Any advice?

denoerr

May 9, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
I am having the same problem. He's on an antibiotic and apoquel. His feet are oozing and so sore. My vet suggested keeping his feet dry and using Gold Bond Medicated powder. I have been doing that, but he keeps licking his feet. I almost want to cover them with a breathable material to make him stop. Does anyone know of anything like that that I can put on his poor little feet or if it's even recommended?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
If interdigital cysts (which are common in bulldogs), chlorehexidine can help (eg chlorehxidine shampoo that you leave on for ten minutes and then rinse). But if the vet gave some shots [MENTION=18457]BullyGiGi[/MENTION] and antibiotics @denoerr perhaps your dogs are experiencing something else? You will hopefully get lots of input here soon!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
NO meds will fix indigital cyst. Donā€™t even bother with those meds as youā€™re basically ruining the immune system. Vets cannot do anything for indigital cyst as itā€™s simply one of those things that comes n goes. [MENTION=9875]cefe13 n [MENTION=15331]BullyBoston[/MENTION][/MENTION] has you covered. Also you can use Bag Balm. Green tin can for cows ā€œnipplesā€ not the ones for your hands n face. I used that on my previous dog n worked great. Within couple days they dry out. Also since youā€™re giving meds make sure your dogs are getting probiotics to get their gut flora back on track so the immune system works.

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Interdigital cysts are normal in bulldogs when they have allergies. Could be food and/or grass related. My English bulldog gets them from time to time and used to be very yeasty. Once we switched him to raw food the yeast and bad smell went away. He does get the cyst between his toes but not as frequently as before so we think this is also related to an outdoor/environmental allergy but we haven't tested him for it. For the cysts what works for us is soaking them in Epsom salt 2x a day for 20-40 minutes if possible. Also, the medicated shampoo or wipes that the previous person mentioned (chlorexadine sp?). I like the wipes myself as they are easy to wipe their paws with. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Gang has you covered but yes, interdigital cysts are common but usually allergy related. So if you can figure out allergy, you might be able to eliminate the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Gang has you covered but yes, interdigital cysts are common but usually allergy related. So if you can figure out allergy, you might be able to eliminate the issue. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huuummm....Duke had no allergies. Mind you he was eating raw....Anxiety yes for sure and why he kept licking his paws. Was tested for all n nothing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi yall, been awhile since I've been on. Hope y'all are doin great!! Our Bully, Bubba J, is experiencing paw issues. Vet said they are prone to cysts between there paws. Doc gave him a shot to alleviate the swelling but I wanna do more. Any advice?

Can you post a photo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
BullyGiGi

BullyGiGi

Jul 13, 2018
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba J
Thanks for all the input and actually since I switched to eukanuba that's when I noticed them. Y'all are awesome!!

OP
BullyGiGi

BullyGiGi

Jul 13, 2018
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba J
Thanks y'all!! Now that I think about it this started after switching to eukanuba. My Bully butt is gonna be the death of me lol. Y'all rock, so grateful to be on here. :yes:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks y'all!! Now that I think about it this started after switching to eukanuba. My Bully butt is gonna be the death of me lol. Y'all rock, so grateful to be on here. :yes:

eukanuba Is full of grains. Not the best. If youā€™re sticking to kibbles go with Acana single protein. Add frozen green smelly tripe as a snack during the day :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Yep.. crap food. If staying with kibble go grain free and try a duck or turkey protein

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyson55

Feb 11, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
NO meds will fix indigital cyst. Donā€™t even bother with those meds as youā€™re basically ruining the immune system. Vets cannot do anything for indigital cyst as itā€™s simply one of those things that comes n goes. [MENTION=9875]cefe13 n [MENTION=15331]BullyBoston[/MENTION][/MENTION] has you covered. Also you can use Bag Balm. Green tin can for cows ā€œnipplesā€ not the ones for your hands n face. I used that on my previous dog n worked great. Within couple days they dry out. Also since youā€™re giving meds make sure your dogs are getting probiotics to get their gut flora back on track so the immune system works.
I'm havin this problem now its on his second paw

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm havin this problem now its on his second paw
Thereā€™s basically 2items I keep for my dogs in the household as mentioned is Bag balm n NuStock. IC are just hard to make them disappear for good. If a dog is prone to them they do come back. But you can keep them at bay. My previous bully was one of them. I put NuStock on them, wrapped up the paw with ā€œvet tapeā€, wait a couple days or 3, remov the wrap n the IC have wrinkled up. Most of the time ā€œifā€ it is a bigger bubble cyst, I would sterilized a needle, soak it in alcohol and pierce it then do the steps. Bag balm works too but I like BB more for rashes or normal skin issues n maintenance. My vet has horses n he too uses NuStock for them.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online