mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Jackson had his vet check yesterday and the "rattle/congestion" we are hearing is from his elongated palate. Vet said it was "quite long" and he will bear watching. He said surgery would onky be done if necessary and when he is older. Should the breeder have mentioned this possibility when I questioned his rattle? Shouldnt HER vet who gave him the health certificate made note of it? It would not have changed a thing for us, we would have taken him anyway, but I feel like she kind of deceived us. Would love feedback on this from you all! Also, would really appreciate info from any of you that went thru this first hand. Do they all need surgery? Can they grow out of it? Did the surgery completely correct the problem? Anything I need to watch for? TIA!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Iā€™m not surprised the breeder said nothing to you about, unfortunately it is almost expected to be an issue.

Iā€™ve been through two needing surgery. Nitschke we did at age two and he did great after and did not need any additional procedures.

Our Frenchie, Cheli has had it three times, the second was due to scar tissue formed due to is allowing him to bark... just dumb on our part.... third was due to sleep apnea issues, since the palate is soft tissue and can grow back.

They bounce back quick... a few days of soft food and they are all good to go.

Not all need it... Banks was fine and Lambeau we had his nares widened at 16 weeks, which we believe help eliminate stress on the palate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I just had Jakeā€™s done. My breeder said he was fine but again he was on a farm in bigger runs. So basically wasnā€™t an issue on the farm. I noticed it on his walks. I wanted him to walk daily with Nyala. He didnā€™t do more than 100ft n started to pant hard. Brought him the my vet to book his vasectomy and to have the soft palate checked. Did both surgery at the same time. His walks are now a good one km. Like Christine said, soft food for a good week or so. I thawed out their raw and he still inhaled it down...

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Thankyou!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had both Walter and Willow's done... AND had their nares widened. Sadly (and it hurts just to say this) I think what Winston should've had his done and he would still be here w/us :( I will NEVER have another bulldog w/out having these checked or done early on.

Anyhoo... both my guys recovered quickly, and had zero complications from their surgeries. We had them done during eye procedures that they both needed...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
My vet said some very interesting that made sense to me. When I brought Jake for his checkup a couple weeks before surgery he said dogs donā€™t die because of nostril airways but dies from soft palate. He also said he doesnā€™t like to do both surgeries at the same time because itā€™s to close to one another for infection. He will do nostrils only if both are barely open. Jakeā€™s are medium and heā€™s over 2.5 yrs old. So doubt heā€™ll have nostril issues. Just a thought n yes ask questions...

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
Can a vet just look in the mouth and make the determination whether they need surgery for soft palate or do they need x-rays?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Jackson had his vet check yesterday and the "rattle/congestion" we are hearing is from his elongated palate. Vet said it was "quite long" and he will bear watching. He said surgery would onky be done if necessary and when he is older. Should the breeder have mentioned this possibility when I questioned his rattle? Shouldnt HER vet who gave him the health certificate made note of it? It would not have changed a thing for us, we would have taken him anyway, but I feel like she kind of deceived us. Would love feedback on this from you all! Also, would really appreciate info from any of you that went thru this first hand. Do they all need surgery? Can they grow out of it? Did the surgery completely correct the problem? Anything I need to watch for? TIA!!

Castor was fine until about a year but then it became pretty obvious that we needed to do something and he went through soft palate surgery and widening of his nares when he was 18 months. As others say, they are fine after a couple of days - just make sure to fed soft bland food the first week. We took Castor to a large vet hospital not only for the surgical expertise but also because they could keep him over night - apparently there is a slight risk of swelling after surgery and we wanted to make sure that Castor was being monitored by vet staff.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Can a vet just look in the mouth and make the determination whether they need surgery for soft palate or do they need x-rays?

I don't think so. When we took Castor to a surgeon for an evaluation, he examined Castor externally, observed him and listened to his breathing but there were no x-rays. I think it's pretty obvious when the dog needs this procedure. Castor would throw up white foam on a daily basis and even after a short walk, his breathing was very laboured although he was young and very fit.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

No, a true evaluation requires sedation... no rays, look in the throat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

When I got Jake, I wanted him completely checked. This vet he knows all flat nose dogs inside out. He opened his mouth n pushed down on Jakeā€™s tongue and show me, you barely saw the entrance. There was no sedation to check. When he had surgery, the vet said it was extremely long...

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.