mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Good morning everyone! Some puppy issues with Jackson - he is going for his first vet check today and I need some advice. From the day we first met Jackson, when he was 5 weeks old,he had this sort of congested sound. It sounded like mucus in his throat. Breeder assured us he drinks too fast and it worsens after drinking water. After his 6 week health check, vet determined his lungs were completely clear and the congestion was most likely in his throat but nothing to worry about.. He is active, eats great, no vomiting. When I picked him up to go home at 8 weeks, his "rasp" was loud, like you wanted him to just cough it up! Breeder took him to vet that morning just to be sure it wasn't something to be concerned about, and he said Jackson was just fine. Today, he had some mucus in his throat upon waking. He played hard until breakfast. Did cough a little during eating, coughed up some mucus and undigested food (very small amount) and finished his breakfast with not a problem. He is very small, and his nares look narrow and tiny. Anything I should address with our vet today? I am not sure of his bulldog experience, but he was highly recommended by someone who had an older bulldog. This will be our first meeting. The breeders vet is very bulldog saavy, so I am hoping he is correct. Any thoughts out there? Jackson is very active and normal otherwise. Of note, I do not hear this "congestion/rasp" when he is sleeping. TIA!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm... maybe an elongated palette? Might be worth mentioning at this point, but he's way too young for them to do anything about it... we had Walter & Willow's done during other procedures. They were at the least over a year old.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Good morning everyone! Some puppy issues with Jackson - he is going for his first vet check today and I need some advice. From the day we first met Jackson, when he was 5 weeks old,he had this sort of congested sound. It sounded like mucus in his throat. Breeder assured us he drinks too fast and it worsens after drinking water. After his 6 week health check, vet determined his lungs were completely clear and the congestion was most likely in his throat but nothing to worry about.. He is active, eats great, no vomiting. When I picked him up to go home at 8 weeks, his "rasp" was loud, like you wanted him to just cough it up! Breeder took him to vet that morning just to be sure it wasn't something to be concerned about, and he said Jackson was just fine. Today, he had some mucus in his throat upon waking. He played hard until breakfast. Did cough a little during eating, coughed up some mucus and undigested food (very small amount) and finished his breakfast with not a problem. He is very small, and his nares look narrow and tiny. Anything I should address with our vet today? I am not sure of his bulldog experience, but he was highly recommended by someone who had an older bulldog. This will be our first meeting. The breeders vet is very bulldog saavy, so I am hoping he is correct. Any thoughts out there? Jackson is very active and normal otherwise. Of note, I do not hear this "congestion/rasp" when he is sleeping. TIA!!

What you can do is get a diffuser, put it where he sleeps or spends most of his time. If the diffuser holds one cup of water add these essential oils.....

8 drops of Eucalyptus
8 drops of Peppermint
5 drops of Lavender
3 drops of Tea Tree

Leave it on all day especially where he sleeps. This will clear any mucus and will cough it out. I always have these oils in my diffuser since mine were pups. Nyala as a pup had green guk coming out of her nose, eyes mouth n took about 3 days it all cleared out..Don’t use peppermint if you have a cat, simply remove it.

Here’s some bedtime reading.....

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

If you are not sure of a recipe, or replacing an oil with another cause your out or think it will do, that’s a big NO NO... please ask me. It will be my pleasure to guide you. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How did the vet visit go? You can also squirt a little lemon juice in mouth to help break up the mucus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.