Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 15

Thread: Moose Squinting With One Eye

  1. #1
    Wrinkle Wiper bulldogs1501's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    118
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Moose
    Likes (Received)
    204

    Default Moose Squinting With One Eye

    Hello all!
    I have a question.

    Few weeks ago we noticed Moose's eye constantly tearing, waking up with a lot of gunk around his eye and reddish so we took him to the vet. Our vet (has 2 bullies herself) told us he has entropion in one eye but wouldn't rush to surgery. She also mentioned it's allergy season and to give him some time. She sent us home with Vetropolycin cream to apply to his eyes for 2 weeks. It seemed to have gotten better, but the last 24 hours I have noticed him squinting with the eye. Any clue as to what may have caused this suddenly? I've done warm compresses and he likes the massage, but obviously something is wrong.

    Anyone have any experience with entropion they want to share? What can we do to alleviate the pain? We are taking him to the doc on Monday...

    Here's a video of his squinting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnBpB2Ngm8s

    Also. Here's a video of him being lazy )) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MF_tMkHmuQ

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,464
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11495

    Default Re: Moose Squinting With One Eye

    @bulldogs1501 love the lazy bum... cute... a few members went through entropion issues n will let them answer you instead. I personally didnít. From your video the squinting can also be an eyelash problem. Growing inside instead of out. Try to look with a flashlight, if not ask them on Monday.

  3. #3
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    13,704
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    7128

    Default Re: Moose Squinting With One Eye

    We have had a bully w/entropion issues... I would make sure they check to see if he hasn't scratched his eye to create an eye ulcer. Obviously I wouldn't rush to surgery w/any bulldog... we gave our Winston Zyrtec daily, that really seem to help w/eye allergies. I would talk to your vet about trying to get him thru this fall allergy season w/meds and ointments.

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  4. #4
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,044
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    6420

    Default Re: Moose Squinting With One Eye

    Eye Ulcer = BAD. If it ruptures that could mean loss of sight or the immediate need for a very expensive graft. See an eye specialist as soon as possible. Moose's diagnosed entropion (or distichia) should be corrected right away to get ahead of future vision problems. I do not recommend that this surgery be done by anyone other than an eye specialist.

    Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

  5. Likes 1Chumly, 2BullyMama, Dollys Owner liked this post
  6. #5
    Kennel Cleaner paw7004's Avatar
    Real Name
    Polly
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    80
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop
    Likes (Received)
    80

    Default Re: Moose Squinting With One Eye

    Porkchop has entropion as well. Surgery is not an option. My vet recommended using Genteel Eye Drops each morning and it is giving him some relief. The first thing he does in the morning before the drops is to drag his face on the carpet to clear his "gooey eye", which certainly doesn't help if carpet fibers cause more irritation.

  7. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
  8. #6
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    44,584
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    15813

    Default Re: Moose Squinting With One Eye

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs1501 View Post
    Hello all!
    I have a question.

    Few weeks ago we noticed Moose's eye constantly tearing, waking up with a lot of gunk around his eye and reddish so we took him to the vet. Our vet (has 2 bullies herself) told us he has entropion in one eye but wouldn't rush to surgery. She also mentioned it's allergy season and to give him some time. She sent us home with Vetropolycin cream to apply to his eyes for 2 weeks. It seemed to have gotten better, but the last 24 hours I have noticed him squinting with the eye. Any clue as to what may have caused this suddenly? I've done warm compresses and he likes the massage, but obviously something is wrong.

    Anyone have any experience with entropion they want to share? What can we do to alleviate the pain? We are taking him to the doc on Monday...

    Here's a video of his squinting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnBpB2Ngm8s

    Also. Here's a video of him being lazy )) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MF_tMkHmuQ

    Poor handsome fella.... I'd get back to vet and let her know it is not getting better.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
  10. #7
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,464
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11495

    Default Re: Moose Squinting With One Eye

    Any updates?

  11. #8
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,640
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1673

    Default Re: Moose Squinting With One Eye

    Quote Originally Posted by paw7004 View Post
    Porkchop has entropion as well. Surgery is not an option. My vet recommended using Genteel Eye Drops each morning and it is giving him some relief. The first thing he does in the morning before the drops is to drag his face on the carpet to clear his "gooey eye", which certainly doesn't help if carpet fibers cause more irritation.
    My vet recommended I use Systane eye drops as a lubricant, but I switched my dog to Hydrasense night therapy gel twice daily, because it's preservative free and contains sodium hyaluronate, and haven't really noticed any difference, but I figure it has to be less irritating without the preservative.

  12. Likes oscarmayer, 2BullyMama, bulldogs1501 liked this post
  13. #9
    Wrinkle Wiper bulldogs1501's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    118
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Moose
    Likes (Received)
    204

    Default Re: Moose Squinting With One Eye

    Hello all. Sorry I've been MIA...busy planning a wedding. We took Moose to the vet about 2 weeks ago. Our vet who has 3 bulldogs wasn't too concerned. She said she would still wait before surgery and that there will be days when it flares up more than others. She gave us neopolydex ointment to apply to his eyes and said to keep monitoring it...
    However, we did find that our guy has an elongated soft palate so he will need surgery. We are going to do it after the wedding and when it gets colder toward the end of the year. We will then also try to do entropion surgery at the same time...

  14. Likes Dollys Owner, 2BullyMama, oscarmayer liked this post
  15. #10
    Dog Show Judge cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,726
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2567

    Default Re: Moose Squinting With One Eye

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs1501 View Post
    Hello all. Sorry I've been MIA...busy planning a wedding. We took Moose to the vet about 2 weeks ago. Our vet who has 3 bulldogs wasn't too concerned. She said she would still wait before surgery and that there will be days when it flares up more than others. She gave us neopolydex ointment to apply to his eyes and said to keep monitoring it...
    However, we did find that our guy has an elongated soft palate so he will need surgery. We are going to do it after the wedding and when it gets colder toward the end of the year. We will then also try to do entropion surgery at the same time...
    Wishing you a nice wedding!
    Concerning doing eye surgery together with other surgery - I'd doublecheck whether that is a good idea. Our Castor was scheduled for eye surgery (entropion) a year or two ago but we backed out as he didn't seem to be in pain and we then decided not to sedate him unless needed. Anyway, while discussing the operation with the eye surgeon, we asked her if they could also check his teeth while he was under. If I remember correctly she said they never did eyes and teeth at the same time (risk of spreading bacteria, I guess). Now, soft palate is of course not teeth but they go in via the mouth so if this is a general precaution, they may not do eyes and soft palate at the same time.

    Castor btw did soft palate surgery in late November five years ago and that was a good time of year.


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  16. #11
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    44,584
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    15813

    Default Re: Moose Squinting With One Eye

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs1501 View Post
    Hello all. Sorry I've been MIA...busy planning a wedding. We took Moose to the vet about 2 weeks ago. Our vet who has 3 bulldogs wasn't too concerned. She said she would still wait before surgery and that there will be days when it flares up more than others. She gave us neopolydex ointment to apply to his eyes and said to keep monitoring it...
    However, we did find that our guy has an elongated soft palate so he will need surgery. We are going to do it after the wedding and when it gets colder toward the end of the year. We will then also try to do entropion surgery at the same time...
    Glad that the neo poly will help and surgery can wait.

    Good luck with the wedding and keep us posted


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  17. #12
    Wrinkle Wiper bulldogs1501's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    118
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Moose
    Likes (Received)
    204

    Default Re: Moose Squinting With One Eye

    Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    Wishing you a nice wedding!
    Concerning doing eye surgery together with other surgery - I'd doublecheck whether that is a good idea. Our Castor was scheduled for eye surgery (entropion) a year or two ago but we backed out as he didn't seem to be in pain and we then decided not to sedate him unless needed. Anyway, while discussing the operation with the eye surgeon, we asked her if they could also check his teeth while he was under. If I remember correctly she said they never did eyes and teeth at the same time (risk of spreading bacteria, I guess). Now, soft palate is of course not teeth but they go in via the mouth so if this is a general precaution, they may not do eyes and soft palate at the same time.


    Castor btw did soft palate surgery in late November five years ago and that was a good time of year.
    Thank you for that advice. He seemed fine last week and then the last two days again he is not opening his eye. The neopoly dex seems to help only that he is not trying to paw at his eyes. However, his eye has been shut for the better part of the last two days.

    Any docs in New Jersey that anyone would recommend for a consultation/surgery. We hate seeing him like this.

    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •