Urine Odor

Capt Swirley

Jun 28, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tango
During the summer, my boys urine smelled horrible. I would describe it as smelling like "tar" (I think the chemical odor is actually called mercaptaina). It wasn't particularly dark in color. I would "lead him to water but..." he just didn't seem thirsty. Was this a sign of a dietary issue, or was he dehydrated? It seems much better now.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
During the summer, my boys urine smelled horrible. I would describe it as smelling like "tar" (I think the chemical odor is actually called mercaptaina). It wasn't particularly dark in color. I would "lead him to water but..." he just didn't seem thirsty. Was this a sign of a dietary issue, or was he dehydrated? It seems much better now.

Dogs/animals that doesn’t drink much usually their diets consist of moisture like raw, cans of dog food, meds etc... what do you feed your dog?

OP
C

Capt Swirley

Jun 28, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tango
Some kibble mixed with cooked chicken tender or a thigh, maybe an egg mixed in (raw or boiled), twice daily. No medications.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Some kibble mixed with cooked chicken tender or a thigh, maybe an egg mixed in (raw or boiled), twice daily. No medications.

I answered your other thread... I figured you were feeding moist food. That’s why your dog doesn’t drink much n it’s normal so don’t worry:)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Doesn't sound like enough fluid, because kibble is very dry, and it sounds like that is a major ingredient of the diet. Maybe you should mix in some water with the kibble and let in soak in a few minutes before you give it to your dog to eat. If your dog won't eat the kibble mixed with water maybe you should switch to a dehydrated raw eg. Honest Kitchen (which is mixed with a lot of water about 10 min before you serve it ).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

I use to feed my brindle as a pup like your doing and she never drank much. Now both drink even less now that they are on full raw. I did notice they rather drink out of the bowl outside than inside. The outside bowl is always cooler water than inside.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online