Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 week old puppy w/yeast infections

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cooper
    Likes (Received)

Default 9 week old puppy w/yeast infections

So, Iíve had my puppy for about a week and a half. We started off with a lot of diarrhea issues and I took him to the vet on the 15th with a conclusion of maybe stress diarrhea. On the 16th or 17th, I started transitioning him off the terrible Royal Cannin Puppy chow and we are still, slowly, transitioning to Merrick Grain Free Beef Puppy chow.
    On the 20th we returned to the vet for his next vaccination and for a check on newly developed ear itching. It turned out he had a yeast infection in both ears and some dry spots on his chest and rear leg that tested positive for a yeast infection. The vet said he was pretty young to diagnose as a food allergy just yet and said it could just be a common Bulldog issue. We are using MiconaHex + Triz wipes, Animax ointment for his ears along with an ear cleaner for once a week cleaning as well as a medicated bath to use once a week. We decided to not use antibiotics just yet.
    Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong or any suggestions?
    Iím worried a yeast infection may develop in his wrinkles. How should I prevent that from happening?

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 9 week old puppy w/yeast infections

@AKbully, yes too young for food allergies. Hereís a recipe that eliminates yeast, tail pocket n rashes. I still use it to this day if needed so does a family member (human) for his own ears. I recently got Jake and he had dirty ears that thick browny guk in his ears. Went to the vet for a checkup as he was the newcomer n the vet said whatever youíre using for his eyes to continue as it was a bacteria and was going. I know it works...

15 drops Lavender
    15 drops Geranium
    15 drops Frankincense
    15 drops Basil
    10 drops Arborvitae (or thuja)

Get some Fractionated Coconut Oil the clear one, a bottle about 4oz in size, fill 3/4 of the way full of the FCO. SHAKE bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infections. If ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated coconut oil on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

Now thatís the mixture n it is NOT just for ears as Iíve mentioned above. I always keep a batch on hand. Maintenance is the key with these dogs. For their folds I only use fragrance free baby wipes from Costco. I do wipe their folds on daily basis and their ears without the mixture. Mixture is only once a month for maintenance.

Stress diarrhea is a big possibility as, new home, new people, new food etc etc. You might even see some very ďbright redĒ blood in the diarrhea which is normal. Not dark as thatís not normal. It will go on its own. Your puppy needs probiotics as his gut needs to get back on track. Royal Canin is horrible kibbles fit for cows. Thatís probably where your yeast is coming from. I use in food form like fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies as a topping. Yours is a puppy so one teaspoon per day. Donít over supplement your puppy as he still has momís milk supporting him. Rotate the proteins in same brand of dog food once your bag is finished. The more you rotate on regular basis of protein the less heíll develop allergies later on. A body needs variation. Just like humans.

Btw donít use same wipe that youíre cleaning his yeast then his folds or the ears. Use clean wipes for each body parts.

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Antibiotics will do nothing for yeast...only anti fungal meds. Beef may not be to his liking...consider a different protein, like Duck. I recommend Duck only because it has been our GOTO for all(hundreds) of our rescues for the past 15 years and not a single problem with it. We've seen many pups come in to rescue with Demodex Mange that were incorrectly diagnosed/not diagnosed. Yeast is often secondary to Demodex flare up. If this continues have your Vet check for mites.
    Pics would be helpful.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Agree with @oscarmayer , very common to have mange ( mites ) at young age. Vet should do a scraping to check for mange, and treatment of choice would be nexgard monthly for at least 3 months, which will also protect him from ticks and fleas. Try a limited ingredient duck dog food also like oscarmayer suggested eg. Acana Duck and Pear , Zignature Duck.

I like to flush my dog's ears out weekly with EcoEars to prevent ear infections, plus I clean debris out daily with witch hazel on a wipe.

I like to clean eye rope wrinkle every 2nd day with my 3 wipe method:
    a) wet round cosmetic pad with a dab of ketohex or curaseb shampoo ( ketoconazole/chlorhexidine )
    2) wet round cosmetic pad to rinse
    3) dry round cosmetic pad to dry

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@AKbully forgot to mention to add this to one of his meals, oil of oregano. This will fight the yeast for sure. Keep it as maintenance once yeast is cleared up.

https://www.dogster.com/dog-food/ore...s-what-to-know

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...-for-your-dog/

7. Likes Dollys Owner, AKbully liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AKbully View Post
    So, Iíve had my puppy for about a week and a half. We started off with a lot of diarrhea issues and I took him to the vet on the 15th with a conclusion of maybe stress diarrhea. On the 16th or 17th, I started transitioning him off the terrible Royal Cannin Puppy chow and we are still, slowly, transitioning to Merrick Grain Free Beef Puppy chow.
    On the 20th we returned to the vet for his next vaccination and for a check on newly developed ear itching. It turned out he had a yeast infection in both ears and some dry spots on his chest and rear leg that tested positive for a yeast infection. The vet said he was pretty young to diagnose as a food allergy just yet and said it could just be a common Bulldog issue. We are using MiconaHex + Triz wipes, Animax ointment for his ears along with an ear cleaner for once a week cleaning as well as a medicated bath to use once a week. We decided to not use antibiotics just yet.
    Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong or any suggestions?
    Iím worried a yeast infection may develop in his wrinkles. How should I prevent that from happening?
    The gang gave you great advice.... but at 9 wks old, did the vet do a scrape for manage as others mentioned, at his young age it is possible.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

9. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cooper
    Likes (Received)

Iím not sure if he vet tested for mange...hmm.
    But now his diarrhea has returned!! The vet did mention that along with the new environment stress I could be overfeeding him. Maybe I transitioned him too quickly off the Royal Cannin. Iím adding one packet of Fortiflora. The back of Merrick suggested 2 cups a day. My vet suggested 1 1/4 a day. I think he got closer to 1 3/4 cups yesterday. I feel like we are just kind of a mess!! Would anyone recommend Pepto for a 9# Puppy?

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

I’m not sure if he vet tested for mange...hmm.
    But now his diarrhea has returned!! The vet did mention that along with the new environment stress I could be overfeeding him. Maybe I transitioned him too quickly off the Royal Cannin. I’m adding one packet of Fortiflora. The back of Merrick suggested 2 cups a day. My vet suggested 1 1/4 a day. I think he got closer to 1 3/4 cups yesterday. I feel like we are just kind of a mess!! Would anyone recommend Pepto for a 9# Puppy?
    You could give 1 ml/ 4 kg every 6 hours, but it's got salicylate so be a lot safer to try canned pumpkin ( not the pie filling one ), or slippery elm powder ( 1/4 tsp per 10 pounds ) https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/ca...at-irritation/

Also feed less as you mentioned.

13. Likes 2BullyMama, AKbully liked this post
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cooper
    Likes (Received)

I’m still having issues with his diarrhea. I thought it was improving as it seems to firm up during the day and then gets runny towards the evening. I could’ve been over feeding. He’s fully on Merrick Grain Free now. I had to take him to the vet for an Emergency situation, he sliced his lower lip pretty deeply (chewing on recliner frame) and the vet gave him a touch of sedation and glued his wound closed. We didn’t discuss the diarrhea too deeply as it seemed fine before the ER visit. I asked to not use antibiotics at the time since I felt he was recovering from diarrhea. Shortly after we pulled out of the parking lot he started having diarrhea again. When we got home, it turned to a pretty liquidy stool. I plan on starting him on the bland diet, boiled hamburger meat and rice. How much should I feed him of this and how many times a day? He’s gaining weight, he put on nearly a pound in 3 days.
    Cooper is my 2nd Bulldog. My 1st passed away in April at the age of 11 years old and she never even had so much as an ear infection! But as far as puppy raising goes, 11 years was a lifetime ago! It all still feels brand new to me.

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@AKbully, all great advice above.

16. Likes AKbully liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

I would also treat him with fenbendazole 50 mg/kg/day once daily for 5-10 days for the diarrhea just in case he has giardiasis since it's very common in puppies and fenbendazole has almost no side effects.

18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Iím still having issues with his diarrhea. I thought it was improving as it seems to firm up during the day and then gets runny towards the evening. I couldíve been over feeding. Heís fully on Merrick Grain Free now. I had to take him to the vet for an Emergency situation, he sliced his lower lip pretty deeply (chewing on recliner frame) and the vet gave him a touch of sedation and glued his wound closed. We didnít discuss the diarrhea too deeply as it seemed fine before the ER visit. I asked to not use antibiotics at the time since I felt he was recovering from diarrhea. Shortly after we pulled out of the parking lot he started having diarrhea again. When we got home, it turned to a pretty liquidy stool. I plan on starting him on the bland diet, boiled hamburger meat and rice. How much should I feed him of this and how many times a day? Heís gaining weight, he put on nearly a pound in 3 days.
    Cooper is my 2nd Bulldog. My 1st passed away in April at the age of 11 years old and she never even had so much as an ear infection! But as far as puppy raising goes, 11 years was a lifetime ago! It all still feels brand new to me.
    Have him tested for giardia... and how much are you feeding at each meal and how many meals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads