AKbully

Aug 15, 2019
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
So, Iā€™ve had my puppy for about a week and a half. We started off with a lot of diarrhea issues and I took him to the vet on the 15th with a conclusion of maybe stress diarrhea. On the 16th or 17th, I started transitioning him off the terrible Royal Cannin Puppy chow and we are still, slowly, transitioning to Merrick Grain Free Beef Puppy chow.
On the 20th we returned to the vet for his next vaccination and for a check on newly developed ear itching. It turned out he had a yeast infection in both ears and some dry spots on his chest and rear leg that tested positive for a yeast infection. The vet said he was pretty young to diagnose as a food allergy just yet and said it could just be a common Bulldog issue. We are using MiconaHex + Triz wipes, Animax ointment for his ears along with an ear cleaner for once a week cleaning as well as a medicated bath to use once a week. We decided to not use antibiotics just yet.
Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong or any suggestions?
Iā€™m worried a yeast infection may develop in his wrinkles. How should I prevent that from happening?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=19186]AKbully[/MENTION], yes too young for food allergies. Hereā€™s a recipe that eliminates yeast, tail pocket n rashes. I still use it to this day if needed so does a family member (human) for his own ears. I recently got Jake and he had dirty ears that thick browny guk in his ears. Went to the vet for a checkup as he was the newcomer n the vet said whatever youā€™re using for his eyes to continue as it was a bacteria and was going. I know it works...

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae (or thuja)

Get some Fractionated Coconut Oil the clear one, a bottle about 4oz in size, fill 3/4 of the way full of the FCO. SHAKE bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infections. If ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated coconut oil on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

Now thatā€™s the mixture n it is NOT just for ears as Iā€™ve mentioned above. I always keep a batch on hand. Maintenance is the key with these dogs. For their folds I only use fragrance free baby wipes from Costco. I do wipe their folds on daily basis and their ears without the mixture. Mixture is only once a month for maintenance.

Stress diarrhea is a big possibility as, new home, new people, new food etc etc. You might even see some very ā€œbright redā€ blood in the diarrhea which is normal. Not dark as thatā€™s not normal. It will go on its own. Your puppy needs probiotics as his gut needs to get back on track. Royal Canin is horrible kibbles fit for cows. Thatā€™s probably where your yeast is coming from. I use in food form like fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies as a topping. Yours is a puppy so one teaspoon per day. Donā€™t over supplement your puppy as he still has momā€™s milk supporting him. Rotate the proteins in same brand of dog food once your bag is finished. The more you rotate on regular basis of protein the less heā€™ll develop allergies later on. A body needs variation. Just like humans.

Btw donā€™t use same wipe that youā€™re cleaning his yeast then his folds or the ears. Use clean wipes for each body parts.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Antibiotics will do nothing for yeast...only anti fungal meds. Beef may not be to his liking...consider a different protein, like Duck. I recommend Duck only because it has been our GOTO for all(hundreds) of our rescues for the past 15 years and not a single problem with it. We've seen many pups come in to rescue with Demodex Mange that were incorrectly diagnosed/not diagnosed. Yeast is often secondary to Demodex flare up. If this continues have your Vet check for mites.
Pics would be helpful.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Agree with [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] , very common to have mange ( mites ) at young age. Vet should do a scraping to check for mange, and treatment of choice would be nexgard monthly for at least 3 months, which will also protect him from ticks and fleas. Try a limited ingredient duck dog food also like oscarmayer suggested eg. Acana Duck and Pear , Zignature Duck.

I like to flush my dog's ears out weekly with EcoEars to prevent ear infections, plus I clean debris out daily with witch hazel on a wipe.

I like to clean eye rope wrinkle every 2nd day with my 3 wipe method:
a) wet round cosmetic pad with a dab of ketohex or curaseb shampoo ( ketoconazole/chlorhexidine )
2) wet round cosmetic pad to rinse
3) dry round cosmetic pad to dry

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So, Iā€™ve had my puppy for about a week and a half. We started off with a lot of diarrhea issues and I took him to the vet on the 15th with a conclusion of maybe stress diarrhea. On the 16th or 17th, I started transitioning him off the terrible Royal Cannin Puppy chow and we are still, slowly, transitioning to Merrick Grain Free Beef Puppy chow.
On the 20th we returned to the vet for his next vaccination and for a check on newly developed ear itching. It turned out he had a yeast infection in both ears and some dry spots on his chest and rear leg that tested positive for a yeast infection. The vet said he was pretty young to diagnose as a food allergy just yet and said it could just be a common Bulldog issue. We are using MiconaHex + Triz wipes, Animax ointment for his ears along with an ear cleaner for once a week cleaning as well as a medicated bath to use once a week. We decided to not use antibiotics just yet.
Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong or any suggestions?
Iā€™m worried a yeast infection may develop in his wrinkles. How should I prevent that from happening?

The gang gave you great advice.... but at 9 wks old, did the vet do a scrape for manage as others mentioned, at his young age it is possible.

OP
A

AKbully

Aug 15, 2019
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Iā€™m not sure if he vet tested for mange...hmm.
But now his diarrhea has returned!! The vet did mention that along with the new environment stress I could be overfeeding him. Maybe I transitioned him too quickly off the Royal Cannin. Iā€™m adding one packet of Fortiflora. The back of Merrick suggested 2 cups a day. My vet suggested 1 1/4 a day. I think he got closer to 1 3/4 cups yesterday. I feel like we are just kind of a mess!! Would anyone recommend Pepto for a 9# Puppy?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Iā€™m not sure if he vet tested for mange...hmm.
But now his diarrhea has returned!! The vet did mention that along with the new environment stress I could be overfeeding him. Maybe I transitioned him too quickly off the Royal Cannin. Iā€™m adding one packet of Fortiflora. The back of Merrick suggested 2 cups a day. My vet suggested 1 1/4 a day. I think he got closer to 1 3/4 cups yesterday. I feel like we are just kind of a mess!! Would anyone recommend Pepto for a 9# Puppy?
You could give 1 ml/ 4 kg every 6 hours, but it's got salicylate so be a lot safer to try canned pumpkin ( not the pie filling one ), or slippery elm powder ( 1/4 tsp per 10 pounds ) https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/care/slippery-elm-for-dogs-safely-treat-irritation/

Also feed less as you mentioned.

OP
A

AKbully

Aug 15, 2019
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Iā€™m still having issues with his diarrhea. I thought it was improving as it seems to firm up during the day and then gets runny towards the evening. I couldā€™ve been over feeding. Heā€™s fully on Merrick Grain Free now. I had to take him to the vet for an Emergency situation, he sliced his lower lip pretty deeply (chewing on recliner frame) and the vet gave him a touch of sedation and glued his wound closed. We didnā€™t discuss the diarrhea too deeply as it seemed fine before the ER visit. I asked to not use antibiotics at the time since I felt he was recovering from diarrhea. Shortly after we pulled out of the parking lot he started having diarrhea again. When we got home, it turned to a pretty liquidy stool. I plan on starting him on the bland diet, boiled hamburger meat and rice. How much should I feed him of this and how many times a day? Heā€™s gaining weight, he put on nearly a pound in 3 days.
Cooper is my 2nd Bulldog. My 1st passed away in April at the age of 11 years old and she never even had so much as an ear infection! But as far as puppy raising goes, 11 years was a lifetime ago! It all still feels brand new to me.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=19186]AKbully[/MENTION], all great advice above.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would also treat him with fenbendazole 50 mg/kg/day once daily for 5-10 days for the diarrhea just in case he has giardiasis since it's very common in puppies and fenbendazole has almost no side effects.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Iā€™m still having issues with his diarrhea. I thought it was improving as it seems to firm up during the day and then gets runny towards the evening. I couldā€™ve been over feeding. Heā€™s fully on Merrick Grain Free now. I had to take him to the vet for an Emergency situation, he sliced his lower lip pretty deeply (chewing on recliner frame) and the vet gave him a touch of sedation and glued his wound closed. We didnā€™t discuss the diarrhea too deeply as it seemed fine before the ER visit. I asked to not use antibiotics at the time since I felt he was recovering from diarrhea. Shortly after we pulled out of the parking lot he started having diarrhea again. When we got home, it turned to a pretty liquidy stool. I plan on starting him on the bland diet, boiled hamburger meat and rice. How much should I feed him of this and how many times a day? Heā€™s gaining weight, he put on nearly a pound in 3 days.
Cooper is my 2nd Bulldog. My 1st passed away in April at the age of 11 years old and she never even had so much as an ear infection! But as far as puppy raising goes, 11 years was a lifetime ago! It all still feels brand new to me.

Have him tested for giardia... and how much are you feeding at each meal and how many meals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

AKbully

Aug 15, 2019
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
I was letting him free feed, about 2 cups total a day. then I actually read one of your articles about diarrhea and over feeding, which I mentioned to the vet as a possible factor to the diarrhea. So, she recommended 1 1/4 cups, divided up 3x a day. I felt that was too little so I went to about 1 3/4 divided up 3x a day and then the next day I realized I should listen to the vet. Last night I started on the bland diet for some gut rest for him. Iā€™m only feeding him 1/2 a cup of boiled hamburger meat with rice and I plan on doing that 3x a day. Is this the right amount for a puppy or still too much?
I plan to feed him the bland diet until his stools return to normal and Iā€™m researching some foods that do not have sweet potatoes, since he has the yeast issues. Iā€™m looking at Wellness Simple Recipes, but itā€™s not offered in a puppy formula. What would you recommend?

OP
A

AKbully

Aug 15, 2019
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Thank you! Do I need a prescription for that?

OP
A

AKbully

Aug 15, 2019
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Also, the vet did do a fecal test which came up negative for parasites. Would giardia have been detected in that test? Heā€™s gaining weight and is active.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online