Bulldog size

Rod52

Feb 26, 2015
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie
Do some English Bulldog breeders bred smaller standard size and some the larger size that is over the standard size that is given . I hope I said that right . Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, they do but I would not consider them reputable. You want a breeder that breeds for better health... not size or colors

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
A reputable breeder will breed to conform to the standard. While all bulldogs might differ in size, they should still be bred to the standard.

OP
Rod52

Rod52

Feb 26, 2015
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie
The reason I asked because my boy is 70 pounds . And the female puppy I'm picking up is a female . She is a very reputable breeder who has won championships with her bulldogs . She said the female should be 40 -45 pounds . My other female is 5 years old and 46 pounds . So my boy is over the standard weight for boys at actually 75 pounds. Why do some bulldogs go over the standard weight . Just want to know if some breeders just breed larger bulldogs and then others

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The reason I asked because my boy is 70 pounds . And the female puppy I'm picking up is a female . She is a very reputable breeder who has won championships with her bulldogs . She said the female should be 40 -45 pounds . My other female is 5 years old and 46 pounds . So my boy is over the standard weight for boys at actually 75 pounds. Why do some bulldogs go over the standard weight . Just want to know if some breeders just breed larger bulldogs and then others

Oh.... some just are bigger, it happens t times. My girl was 62 lbs and both my boys were/are.. between 56-58

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
My two were the last 2 runts of 7 males. They are 5 years old. One weighs 51 and the other is 71 pounds. Our vet says with their bone structure both are within correct weight.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My breeder has been doing this for a good 20yrs. She worked very hard to downsize them not for size but more for health wise. As we all know, most EB the big ones over 70lb will/has health issue cause of their weight n not being as fit as the 45-50lb ones. Yes you do have exceptions like in anything. The EB like a lot of other breeds nowadays basically became man made dogs. These dogs are sure paying the price for their health. 100yrs ago the EB looked more like the boxer or like my brindle Nyala which she’s a Bantam Bulldogge (Bulldog). They have a very wide chest, longer legs n smaller head. They also have a tad longer nose. Trust me that tad makes such a huge difference in these breeds. I personally find my breeder is on the right track as her motto is health first. I prefer EB 40-55lbs, keep them fit as much as I can n feed them like carnivores as they were meant to be. That’s my 2 cents. :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie is 62 pounds and about 2 1/2 years old. He's got some long legs and not as barrel chested as other bulldogs because of his height. He is the like an energizer bunny, very active.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I find this question interesting. Bulldogs certainly come in all sizes and not all breeding is done to uphold standards developed by national kennel clubs. I made a quick comparison between English bulldog standards issued by national kennel clubs in the US, the UK, and Sweden. UK and Swedish standards both state 25 kilos for males (55 lbs) and 23 kilos for females (50 lbs). Interestingly enough, the American kennel club has lower weight as official standard: lbs 50 for males and lbs 40 for females. That surprised me as my impression is that there are many much bigger bulldogs in the US. If that has to do with some specific breeding strategies or if a larger amount of bulldogs are being bred without the aim of fitting into the national standards, I don't know.

Even if parents fulfil national standards, it's no guarantee their pups will. Castor has quite a good pedigree but still ended up "too small" - at 6 years he is lbs 44. We took him to a big national puppy show when he was 9 months old and he received an honourable mention for his looks (!) but the judge said "although he looks good he is small and most likely, he won't reach the standard" which basically meant there was no use entering him in further shows. For other reasons, he has not entered any other shows, but clearly, size was an important assessment criterion.

I would say that in Scandinavia, serious dog buyers look for dogs which follow breed standards. That has not only to do with size, of course, but with the health benefits that come from certain lineages. That's also why there is so much work going on among serious bulldog breeders to help the breed develop in a healthy way.

I know [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] knows a lot about this so she can hopefully give an expert answer!

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
I’ve read and had numerous vets tell me this that 55-60 for boys leaning toward 55 for health and girls 45-50. Bongo is always around 56/57lbs.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] very true, breeders and clubs need to change their breeding rules/methods to get these EB or any flat nose dogs healthier. EB has a bad rap cause of their health issues. We are getting there slowly with this breed. Owners are getting more educated on feeding them, daily maintenance, exercise and why we are seeing EB living longer. But definitely breeders needs to breed for health.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.