Runt pup

stanlee

Aug 8, 2019
Leeds
Country
united kingdon
Bulldog(s) Names
Maisey
Hi All this is my first post I am from the uk and would like a little advice please.
I have put a deposit down and collecting next week a 13 week old bully pup and i'm not sure if I have done the right thing. There was 3 pups left of a litter of 12 and we fell in love with the smallest one it being about half the size of the largest pup (which was massive) by the way. The mother was very chunky and had to have a cesarean to give birth. What I want to know is at 13 week should the smaller one of caught up with the other pups with them being weaned now. Has anyone else had experience in this matter and do you think I will encounter any problems. I am starting to doubt my choice now but this pup had the best markings and was so cute. Help to put my mind at rest or not:ohmy:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi All this is my first post I am from the uk and would like a little advice please.
I have put a deposit down and collecting next week a 13 week old bully pup and i'm not sure if I have done the right thing. There was 3 pups left of a litter of 12 and we fell in love with the smallest one it being about half the size of the largest pup (which was massive) by the way. The mother was very chunky and had to have a cesarean to give birth. What I want to know is at 13 week should the smaller one of caught up with the other pups with them being weaned now. Has anyone else had experience in this matter and do you think I will encounter any problems. I am starting to doubt my choice now but this pup had the best markings and was so cute. Help to put my mind at rest or not:ohmy:

Hello and Welcome to EBN. You canā€™t rely on that theory cause it was the smallest and will stay small forever. I prefer a 45-55lb EB cause itā€™s healthier. Also if possible feed them from the start proper quality kibble like Acana which you have in U.K. and even better, raw. Youā€™ll avoid a lot of health issues if you start raw when you bring the puppy home. Exercise is a must. Start slow as itā€™s just a puppy. Give healthy treats like real dry liver. If youā€™re sticking to kibbles, to avoid allergies, acana and orijen does puppy food. Then at 6 months old switch to one protein per bag and when one bag is finished, switch protein. The more different proteins you introduce to your puppy the less development of allergies will happen. Also by sticking to one protein per bag easier to monitor if any allergies. I did this technique and my dogs have no food allergies.

OP
S

stanlee

Aug 8, 2019
Leeds
Country
united kingdon
Bulldog(s) Names
Maisey
Hi and Thankyou for a quick reply Helsonwheels.
The pup is about the size of a 10 week old if even that and it's bigger brothers are bullying it which made us fall for it even more, they wouldn't let it play with any toys they just snatched them off him. The owner said he will grow to be like a mini bull and short and cobby.

I wonder if anyone else on the forum has had a small pup similar in size and could let me know how it developed and did they encounter any health problems. Thanks again

OP
S

stanlee

Aug 8, 2019
Leeds
Country
united kingdon
Bulldog(s) Names
Maisey
IMG_20190808_160518.jpg

This is the pup. He is very timid and nervous and we had to move the biggest pup out of the room just to get this pup to come to us.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 117134

This is the pup. He is very timid and nervous and we had to move the biggest pup out of the room just to get this pup to come to us.

I recently lost my 2.5yr old Duke. (Bad vet). He was the biggest out of the litter. I wanted this other one but ended up going home with Duke. The other one I wanted is basically the one I have now the brother of Duke. Jake. Jake was small n scared. Jake is 5 lbs more than what Duke was. Duke was very fit @ 50lbs n Jake unfit @ 55lbs. Iā€™m working on him. I just got him a few weeks ago. Iā€™m working on him to get him fit. Btw your pup has good size front paws and looks fine to me. Just feed them right from the start n all will be fine.

Jake
D3D69E70-2AC3-4C23-B0E3-FECEFC856507.jpeg

Duke
32CFA0B9-AD88-4BB4-B9CF-21F6D560D946.jpeg

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Donā€™t worry too much about the size, he can catch up in the future, and if he wonā€™t and will stay on the smaller side you can always think about those mini- bulldogs breeders try to get and which cost big money! And you got it for regular price! But honestly size doesnā€™t matter that much as far as puppy is healthy and active.
12 puppies is actually an enormous litter, amazing that all puppies survived. No wonder your baby was a bit small, 12 siblings!

Helene gave you good advice - think carefully what are you going to feed him. The best option would be raw.
I can already see from the picture that currently he is getting not good food - his toes are very red. Itā€™s allergy.

OP
S

stanlee

Aug 8, 2019
Leeds
Country
united kingdon
Bulldog(s) Names
Maisey
Thank you for your replies, we did notice his feet are big and his toes are spread apart is this normal? I didn't even notice his feet looked red! Could this bee the sawdust type stuff on the floor?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for your replies, we did notice his feet are big and his toes are spread apart is this normal? I didn't even notice his feet looked red! Could this bee the sawdust type stuff on the floor?

Find out what heā€™s fed.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi Stan, as said previously dont worry about his size bullyā€™s vary so much there is no ā€œright or average sizeā€ just keep them healthy and try to stay on the lean side.

That said, i doubt if anything said here could sway your decision from taking that pup :no: you have done what all bully owners do and already fallen in love with the cute little cheeky chappie who needs a mum and dad to protect him from being picked on :yes::D

OP
S

stanlee

Aug 8, 2019
Leeds
Country
united kingdon
Bulldog(s) Names
Maisey
They are fed on AVA puppy food. We can't feed raw food as we also have a Shih tzu.

Thanks for the replies.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I would not worry about the size. My Punk is on the smaller size and she does great! 10 years old and acts like a 1 year old. :drawheart:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
They are fed on AVA puppy food. We can't feed raw food as we also have a Shih tzu.

Thanks for the replies.

Chicken (54.5%) (Chicken Meal 27.5%, Fresh Chicken 17.5%, Chicken Fat 7%, Chicken Gravy 2.5%), Brown Rice (22.5%), Maize (12.5%), Beet Pulp (3.5%), Whole Dried Egg, Salmon Oil, Brewers Yeast, Minerals, Pre-Biotic Fructooligosaccharide (1600mg/kg), Beta-Glucans, Pre-Biotic Mannanoligosaccharides (400mg/kg), Yucca ...

Lots of chicken in there. Probably answerā€™s [MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] pink feet. Thereā€™s also Maize which is corn n rice. I never believe in corn for dogs. I personally would get him off that food when you bring him home. I would transition him to the one protein Acana bag. Start with duck as itā€™s easier to digest. Acana does make 2kinds of puppy food but they both have chicken in them. But you need to determine why his feet are so pink. Can be the chicken or the sawdust. Sawdust can irritate ears, eyes, nose as sometimes itā€™s mixed with other wood and some companies will put chemicals in their bags. Not a big fan of sawdust. When he gets home put your Colombo cap on and start observing. No chicken n no sawdust. Give him a good 3 weeks. If all disappeared, you got your answer.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Chicken (54.5%) (Chicken Meal 27.5%, Fresh Chicken 17.5%, Chicken Fat 7%, Chicken Gravy 2.5%), Brown Rice (22.5%), Maize (12.5%), Beet Pulp (3.5%), Whole Dried Egg, Salmon Oil, Brewers Yeast, Minerals, Pre-Biotic Fructooligosaccharide (1600mg/kg), Beta-Glucans, Pre-Biotic Mannanoligosaccharides (400mg/kg), Yucca ...

Lots of chicken in there. Probably answerā€™s @Lalaloopsie pink feet. Thereā€™s also Maize which is corn n rice. I never believe in corn for dogs. I personally would get him off that food when you bring him home. I would transition him to the one protein Acana bag. Start with duck as itā€™s easier to digest. Acana does make 2kinds of puppy food but they both have chicken in them. But you need to determine why his feet are so pink. Can be the chicken or the sawdust. Sawdust can irritate ears, eyes, nose as sometimes itā€™s mixed with other wood and some companies will put chemicals in their bags. Not a big fan of sawdust. When he gets home put your Colombo cap on and start observing. No chicken n no sawdust. Give him a good 3 weeks. If all disappeared, you got your answer.

Columbo hat? Thatā€™s a sign. I bet Stanlee wasnā€™t born when Columbo was on TV.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We had one litter of pups w/our girl Bella... one of the smallest pups ended up being the largest bulldog of them all. Don't let the runt status fool you, sometimes they end up being HUGE!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the gang, runt doesnā€™t mean they will not grow as big

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.