Skull X Rays with Anesthesia?

susan

Mar 14, 2010
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Rudy and Reggie
My English Bulldog Reggie developed a dent in her head near her ear on her left side. All of a sudden it was just there. I brought her to the vet yesterday and they want to do X rays with Anesthesia. She is going to be 10 in November. I am concerned with her age and the Anesthesia. Has anyone had this situation? He checked her mouth, eyes, movement and felt around. She is not in any pain. He said he would have her for the day - or maybe a half of the day and sedate her and she would have a breathing tube and oxygen. I got nervous about the test he said I could think about it. Anyone been through this or have any thoughts?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Not an easy choice with a 10 yo bulldog. To be honest, I would ask them - what they will recommend if as a result of X-ray they find a tumour- which is quite a possibility, frankly speaking, I don’t want to sound negative, but I cannot think what else can cause a dent in skull. It cannot be infection of the bone, bcs there would be other symptoms, like fever and swelling. Unless you may be somehow missed her getting trauma which is not realistic I think. I would suspect metastasis from some other place in the body.
So, you will subject her to a (fairly high) danger of anaesthesia during X-ray and what is the outcome? At 10 yo nobody will recommend her treatment, because bone tumours not really very treatable, and in her age it won’t prolong her life enough to go through all the pains and (big!) costs. Sorry to say this, I wish I could be more positive, but discuss may be with your vet what is the risk/gain ratio of X-ray with anaesthesia in her case.
My advice would be - If she feels now good, I would leave it alone and let her live as long as it is planned by Lord.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree... what is the plan based on what is found?
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] .. any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
@Lalaloopsie I agree. What can it be? What if it is any of those, what then? I would not risk anesthesia just to know, if there is nothing to be done that increasis her well-being. And if she is feeling fine and it does not bother her...

OP
susan

susan

Mar 14, 2010
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Rudy and Reggie
My husband emailed the vet to try to get some clarification. Yesterday was shocking to discover it and run to the vet. Today I am able to process it more clearly and try to figure out what the vets plan would be. I am leaning towards what Lalaloopsie's thoughts are. She is old and has had a wonderful life.
On May 8 of this year we lost our older bulldog she was 1 month shy of 11. We found her and think she died of a heart attack. This is the negative of getting two of them so close in age.
Thank you so much for your responses!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] .. any insight?
I have no personal experience with what the OP posted, so I sent a copy of it to Sandy.
Her reply:
Cant imagine why they would need to put her under to just take a NORMAL Xray. Is she aggressive or something? If she is in good health otherwise she would probably be OK with the anesthesia, but I just don't understand why. Are they doing a contrast study or something?

Not a vet but could be.......stroke or Masticatory Muscle Myositis (MMM-this is the muscle that opens and closes a dogs mouth) or brain tumor or just the normal sinking in the head area with muscle deterioration in older dogs. Did she show photos.

But bottom line...does she want to know or not. Will take testing and with some testing comes anesthesia.

Old dog heads sink in......we have seen it a million times, although it's not usually just on one side.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My husband emailed the vet to try to get some clarification. Yesterday was shocking to discover it and run to the vet. Today I am able to process it more clearly and try to figure out what the vets plan would be. I am leaning towards what Lalaloopsie's thoughts are. She is old and has had a wonderful life.
On May 8 of this year we lost our older bulldog she was 1 month shy of 11. We found her and think she died of a heart attack. This is the negative of getting two of them so close in age.
Thank you so much for your responses!!!

Sorry for your loss....

Agree with everyone. She’s already 10, why risk whatever she has left. I would definitely leave her be. I just lost my little guy 2.5yrs old cause of breathing tube collapsed his airways. At the end of the day it’s your decision. I personally sure wouldn’t go that route. :)

OP
susan

susan

Mar 14, 2010
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Rudy and Reggie
Thank you so much for helping me think this through. We were able to send questions to the vet based on the responses from this forum. It happened so fast with the vet that we were not able to think clearly at the visit to ask about it. When we were there he basically had no idea what is going on but though that Xrays would be a start to try to figure it out. He seemed surprised but supportive of my reluctance on the xrays. It wasn't the xrays I got nervous about it was the process to get them.

Helsonwheels I am very sorry for your loss of your 2.5 year old bully. I read through and saw what you went through. That was a big part of my reluctance on the Anesthesia and breathing tube.

Once we hear back from the vet I will post an update.

OP
susan

susan

Mar 14, 2010
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Rudy and Reggie
When we took Reggie to the vet to look at her indentation in her head he took her off her Gabapentin (medicine). He wanted to see if that would make a difference with her condition. We noticed she was sleeping more and seemed in pain. On Saturday he had us put her back on it and instantly we saw an improvement and she is more herself.
Today I called her breeder to ask her opinion. She said I should not do the test it would be too dangerous for her due to her age. That is the way I was leaning. She thinks I should just let her be since we are not seeing any other symptoms.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
When we took Reggie to the vet to look at her indentation in her head he took her off her Gabapentin (medicine). He wanted to see if that would make a difference with her condition. We noticed she was sleeping more and seemed in pain. On Saturday he had us put her back on it and instantly we saw an improvement and she is more herself.
Today I called her breeder to ask her opinion. She said I should not do the test it would be too dangerous for her due to her age. That is the way I was leaning. She thinks I should just let her be since we are not seeing any other symptoms.

A 10yr old especially a flat nose dog, like everyone is telling you and myself, leave her enjoy whatever she has left. Weeks, months or even years, who knows. Cherish each day n spoil her which I’m sure you’re already doing. :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A 10yr old especially a flat nose dog, like everyone is telling you and myself, leave her enjoy whatever she has left. Weeks, months or even years, who knows. Cherish each day n spoil her which I’m sure you’re already doing. :)

Couldn’t agree more.... enjoy and spoil her as long as no pain, let her be. (((Hugs)))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
susan

susan

Mar 14, 2010
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Rudy and Reggie
Thank you both. I am at peace with doing nothing. She is so loved and spoiled and happy as can be!!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you both. I am at peace with doing nothing. She is so loved and spoiled and happy as can be!!!

Perfect!!! Spoil her more from us :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Spoil her the best you can, and enjoy every minute with her! I think you have made the best decision for her!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.