Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OTC yeast tablets

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arthur
    Likes (Received)

Default OTC yeast tablets

My EB has had a recurring yeast infection for so long it's hard to remember a time when he wasn't suffering. I have tried EVERYTHING from diet change, home remedies and thousands in vets medication and nothing has worked. The only thing I haven't given him is an anti yeast pill for humans as I wasn't sure if you could give that to dogs. Has anyone ever tried that and if so, what dosage did they use. My bully is about 60 pounds. Thank you.

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Newman, (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: OTC yeast tablets

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurs mom View Post
    My EB has had a recurring yeast infection for so long it's hard to remember a time when he wasn't suffering. I have tried EVERYTHING from diet change, home remedies and thousands in vets medication and nothing has worked. The only thing I haven't given him is an anti yeast pill for humans as I wasn't sure if you could give that to dogs. Has anyone ever tried that and if so, what dosage did they use. My bully is about 60 pounds. Thank you.
    When you say “recurring yeast infection” where exactly? As giving it in pill form depends on what kind of yeast infection n where it’s located or is it spreading etc etc..... Also what are you feeding him n what are his treats.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arthur
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    When you say “recurring yeast infection” where exactly? As giving it in pill form depends on what kind of yeast infection n where it’s located or is it spreading etc etc..... Also what are you feeding him n what are his treats.
    The yeast is everywhere but predominantly in his ears and nose folds and paws. He gets his ears packed at the vets every 10 days but even that isn't doing much. He was on grain free for 3 years but I've just switched him back. He's currently on Fromms Gold with Stella and Chewys raw topper. He doesn't have treats as I can't trust the ingredients. He's constantly scratching.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Has he been on Ketoconizole, or fluconizole for yeast? treatment usually last for up to 12 weeks. He also needs baths with special shampoos. Chlorhexadine, Miconizole, as an example. You may also need a new Veterinarian.....
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

5. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arthur
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Has he been on Ketoconizole, or fluconizole for yeast? treatment usually last for up to 12 weeks. He also needs baths with special shampoos. Chlorhexadine, Miconizole, as an example. You may also need a new Veterinarian.....
    No, I've checked his records and he's never been prescribed either of those meds. He has been prescribed: Simplicef, Baytril, ciprofloxacin, clindamycin, cephalexin and vetalog.I have been using Douxo Chlorhexidine shampoo when I've bathed him. Thank you for responding to me, I'm feeling desperate at this point. I agree, I may have to try a new vet.

7. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We have used both Douxo chlorehexidine and another brand called TrizChlor4 shampoo. The latter has been much more efficient. When Castor gets eg itchy pass, I use it and leave it on for ten mins before rinsing, and it helps.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

No, I've checked his records and he's never been prescribed either of those meds. He has been prescribed: Simplicef, Baytril, ciprofloxacin, clindamycin, cephalexin and vetalog.I have been using Douxo Chlorhexidine shampoo when I've bathed him. Thank you for responding to me, I'm feeling desperate at this point. I agree, I may have to try a new vet.
    All medicines you mentioned except for vetalog which is steroid, are antibiotics. I don’t know what did doctors treat in your case with them, but it is very common to develop yeast infection after antibiotics. It is because yeast and bacteria are competing for food in our bodies and on our skin ( and dogs skin, for sure). So, you kill bacteria and yeast start to flourish because of no competition. In fact, sometimes just after a course of antibiotics humans are prescribed antifungal meds.
    Examples of antifungal meds you can use for dogs in tablets are itrakonazol, terbinafine, fluconazol.
    I wonder if you can get them without a prescription, because they are usually prescribed, for animal and human consumption.
    I think you can OTC only get Fluconazol (Diflucan). Dose for acute infection is usually 10 mg per kg, which means that in your case 60 pound dog will need 300 mg a day. You need to give it once a day for 1-3 months depending on results. After that if he feels better pulse therapy is possible - 300 mg once a week.
    But would be better to discuss with some knowledgeable vet.

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

The yeast is everywhere but predominantly in his ears and nose folds and paws. He gets his ears packed at the vets every 10 days but even that isn't doing much. He was on grain free for 3 years but I've just switched him back. He's currently on Fromms Gold with Stella and Chewys raw topper. He doesn't have treats as I can't trust the ingredients. He's constantly scratching.
    With all these antibiotics he’s been on his immune system is shot. Each time he takes any antibiotics and this goes for humans too, you absolutely need to give on daily basis a probiotic. This is why your dog keeps having yeast. He has no good flora in his gut. I only use probiotics in food source. Start giving him as a topper or snack fermented veggies or sauerkraut. A good tablespoon PER day. There is also kefir, Greek yogurt that’s good but I prefer the veggies/sauerkraut. I also give frozen tripe. You can find it at your pet shops in the frozen section. It’s green n it smells. Tripe is the best way to get probiotics into the system.

For the ears, get a quality lavender essential oil. Put a couple drops on a cotton ball n swipe ONLY inside the floppy ear and not in the canals. Oil will seep on its own downwards. That will clear the yeasty ears. Do it once a day till it clears. Takes a few days to see results. If you can, I would definitely go raw for his meals.

11. Likes 2BullyMama, Dollys Owner liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arthur
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaloopsie View Post
    All medicines you mentioned except for vetalog which is steroid, are antibiotics. I don’t know what did doctors treat in your case with them, but it is very common to develop yeast infection after antibiotics. It is because yeast and bacteria are competing for food in our bodies and on our skin ( and dogs skin, for sure). So, you kill bacteria and yeast start to flourish because of no competition. In fact, sometimes just after a course of antibiotics humans are prescribed antifungal meds.
    Examples of antifungal meds you can use for dogs in tablets are itrakonazol, terbinafine, fluconazol.
    I wonder if you can get them without a prescription, because they are usually prescribed, for animal and human consumption.
    I think you can OTC only get Fluconazol (Diflucan). Dose for acute infection is usually 10 mg per kg, which means that in your case 60 pound dog will need 300 mg a day. You need to give it once a day for 1-3 months depending on results. After that if he feels better pulse therapy is possible - 300 mg once a week.
    But would be better to discuss with some knowledgeable vet.
    Thank you so much. I'll look for the OTC Fluconazol. If I don't have any luck with that I will speak to my vet about the other meds you mentioned.

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arthur
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    With all these antibiotics he’s been on his immune system is shot. Each time he takes any antibiotics and this goes for humans too, you absolutely need to give on daily basis a probiotic. This is why your dog keeps having yeast. He has no good flora in his gut. I only use probiotics in food source. Start giving him as a topper or snack fermented veggies or sauerkraut. A good tablespoon PER day. There is also kefir, Greek yogurt that’s good but I prefer the veggies/sauerkraut. I also give frozen tripe. You can find it at your pet shops in the frozen section. It’s green n it smells. Tripe is the best way to get probiotics into the system.

For the ears, get a quality lavender essential oil. Put a couple drops on a cotton ball n swipe ONLY inside the floppy ear and not in the canals. Oil will seep on its own downwards. That will clear the yeasty ears. Do it once a day till it clears. Takes a few days to see results. If you can, I would definitely go raw for his meals.
    I agree his immune system is shot. I currently give him probiotics daily and greek yogurt. I'll try the lavender oil, thanks for the suggestion,

15. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I agree his immune system is shot. I currently give him probiotics daily and greek yogurt. I'll try the lavender oil, thanks for the suggestion,
    Just make sure the probiotic you’re giving him is live from the fridge section in a health food store n not tablets off the shelves as those are useless. I go with fermented food as there is no need to break your head with dosage. But that’s me.

17. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Also make sure the food does not have white potatoes.. it can feed the yeast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

19. Likes helsonwheels, Dollys Owner liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads