OTC yeast tablets

Arthurs mom

Jul 13, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arthur
My EB has had a recurring yeast infection for so long it's hard to remember a time when he wasn't suffering. I have tried EVERYTHING from diet change, home remedies and thousands in vets medication and nothing has worked. The only thing I haven't given him is an anti yeast pill for humans as I wasn't sure if you could give that to dogs. Has anyone ever tried that and if so, what dosage did they use. My bully is about 60 pounds. Thank you.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My EB has had a recurring yeast infection for so long it's hard to remember a time when he wasn't suffering. I have tried EVERYTHING from diet change, home remedies and thousands in vets medication and nothing has worked. The only thing I haven't given him is an anti yeast pill for humans as I wasn't sure if you could give that to dogs. Has anyone ever tried that and if so, what dosage did they use. My bully is about 60 pounds. Thank you.

When you say ā€œrecurring yeast infectionā€ where exactly? As giving it in pill form depends on what kind of yeast infection n where itā€™s located or is it spreading etc etc..... Also what are you feeding him n what are his treats.

OP
A

Arthurs mom

Jul 13, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arthur
When you say ā€œrecurring yeast infectionā€ where exactly? As giving it in pill form depends on what kind of yeast infection n where itā€™s located or is it spreading etc etc..... Also what are you feeding him n what are his treats.

The yeast is everywhere but predominantly in his ears and nose folds and paws. He gets his ears packed at the vets every 10 days but even that isn't doing much. He was on grain free for 3 years but I've just switched him back. He's currently on Fromms Gold with Stella and Chewys raw topper. He doesn't have treats as I can't trust the ingredients. He's constantly scratching.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Has he been on Ketoconizole, or fluconizole for yeast? treatment usually last for up to 12 weeks. He also needs baths with special shampoos. Chlorhexadine, Miconizole, as an example. You may also need a new Veterinarian.....

OP
A

Arthurs mom

Jul 13, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arthur
Has he been on Ketoconizole, or fluconizole for yeast? treatment usually last for up to 12 weeks. He also needs baths with special shampoos. Chlorhexadine, Miconizole, as an example. You may also need a new Veterinarian.....

No, I've checked his records and he's never been prescribed either of those meds. He has been prescribed: Simplicef, Baytril, ciprofloxacin, clindamycin, cephalexin and vetalog.I have been using Douxo Chlorhexidine shampoo when I've bathed him. Thank you for responding to me, I'm feeling desperate at this point. I agree, I may have to try a new vet.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We have used both Douxo chlorehexidine and another brand called TrizChlor4 shampoo. The latter has been much more efficient. When Castor gets eg itchy pass, I use it and leave it on for ten mins before rinsing, and it helps.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
No, I've checked his records and he's never been prescribed either of those meds. He has been prescribed: Simplicef, Baytril, ciprofloxacin, clindamycin, cephalexin and vetalog.I have been using Douxo Chlorhexidine shampoo when I've bathed him. Thank you for responding to me, I'm feeling desperate at this point. I agree, I may have to try a new vet.
All medicines you mentioned except for vetalog which is steroid, are antibiotics. I donā€™t know what did doctors treat in your case with them, but it is very common to develop yeast infection after antibiotics. It is because yeast and bacteria are competing for food in our bodies and on our skin ( and dogs skin, for sure). So, you kill bacteria and yeast start to flourish because of no competition. In fact, sometimes just after a course of antibiotics humans are prescribed antifungal meds.
Examples of antifungal meds you can use for dogs in tablets are itrakonazol, terbinafine, fluconazol.
I wonder if you can get them without a prescription, because they are usually prescribed, for animal and human consumption.
I think you can OTC only get Fluconazol (Diflucan). Dose for acute infection is usually 10 mg per kg, which means that in your case 60 pound dog will need 300 mg a day. You need to give it once a day for 1-3 months depending on results. After that if he feels better pulse therapy is possible - 300 mg once a week.
But would be better to discuss with some knowledgeable vet.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The yeast is everywhere but predominantly in his ears and nose folds and paws. He gets his ears packed at the vets every 10 days but even that isn't doing much. He was on grain free for 3 years but I've just switched him back. He's currently on Fromms Gold with Stella and Chewys raw topper. He doesn't have treats as I can't trust the ingredients. He's constantly scratching.

With all these antibiotics heā€™s been on his immune system is shot. Each time he takes any antibiotics and this goes for humans too, you absolutely need to give on daily basis a probiotic. This is why your dog keeps having yeast. He has no good flora in his gut. I only use probiotics in food source. Start giving him as a topper or snack fermented veggies or sauerkraut. A good tablespoon PER day. There is also kefir, Greek yogurt thatā€™s good but I prefer the veggies/sauerkraut. I also give frozen tripe. You can find it at your pet shops in the frozen section. Itā€™s green n it smells. Tripe is the best way to get probiotics into the system.

For the ears, get a quality lavender essential oil. Put a couple drops on a cotton ball n swipe ONLY inside the floppy ear and not in the canals. Oil will seep on its own downwards. That will clear the yeasty ears. Do it once a day till it clears. Takes a few days to see results. If you can, I would definitely go raw for his meals. :)

OP
A

Arthurs mom

Jul 13, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arthur
All medicines you mentioned except for vetalog which is steroid, are antibiotics. I donā€™t know what did doctors treat in your case with them, but it is very common to develop yeast infection after antibiotics. It is because yeast and bacteria are competing for food in our bodies and on our skin ( and dogs skin, for sure). So, you kill bacteria and yeast start to flourish because of no competition. In fact, sometimes just after a course of antibiotics humans are prescribed antifungal meds.
Examples of antifungal meds you can use for dogs in tablets are itrakonazol, terbinafine, fluconazol.
I wonder if you can get them without a prescription, because they are usually prescribed, for animal and human consumption.
I think you can OTC only get Fluconazol (Diflucan). Dose for acute infection is usually 10 mg per kg, which means that in your case 60 pound dog will need 300 mg a day. You need to give it once a day for 1-3 months depending on results. After that if he feels better pulse therapy is possible - 300 mg once a week.
But would be better to discuss with some knowledgeable vet.

Thank you so much. I'll look for the OTC Fluconazol. If I don't have any luck with that I will speak to my vet about the other meds you mentioned.

OP
A

Arthurs mom

Jul 13, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arthur
With all these antibiotics heā€™s been on his immune system is shot. Each time he takes any antibiotics and this goes for humans too, you absolutely need to give on daily basis a probiotic. This is why your dog keeps having yeast. He has no good flora in his gut. I only use probiotics in food source. Start giving him as a topper or snack fermented veggies or sauerkraut. A good tablespoon PER day. There is also kefir, Greek yogurt thatā€™s good but I prefer the veggies/sauerkraut. I also give frozen tripe. You can find it at your pet shops in the frozen section. Itā€™s green n it smells. Tripe is the best way to get probiotics into the system.

For the ears, get a quality lavender essential oil. Put a couple drops on a cotton ball n swipe ONLY inside the floppy ear and not in the canals. Oil will seep on its own downwards. That will clear the yeasty ears. Do it once a day till it clears. Takes a few days to see results. If you can, I would definitely go raw for his meals. :)

I agree his immune system is shot. I currently give him probiotics daily and greek yogurt. I'll try the lavender oil, thanks for the suggestion,

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree his immune system is shot. I currently give him probiotics daily and greek yogurt. I'll try the lavender oil, thanks for the suggestion,

Just make sure the probiotic youā€™re giving him is live from the fridge section in a health food store n not tablets off the shelves as those are useless. I go with fermented food as there is no need to break your head with dosage. But thatā€™s me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Also make sure the food does not have white potatoes.. it can feed the yeast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Ketoconizole Ketoconizole Ketoconizole
That's been our go-to med for control of Yeast infection for many many many years. It works!
If your Vet has been prescribing the Antibiotics you listed to fight Yeast then it's time for a new Vet. That is just WRONG!
Once starting the treatment, it may take 2-3 weeks(maybe longer) before you notice improvement. Yeast is very stubborn under the best treatment conditions.

Our very worst yeasty boy was Luke. He came in with Demodectic Mange and raging Yeast. He was nearly hairless, with scabs all over him. He had had it so long that he didn't even bother scratching it anymore. It took 6 months to get it under control enough to be able to place him in a new home. He continued to improve over the next 6 months and that period of time included pulsing Keto. I think he may still be getting pulsed on occasion but it's been 3 years and I'm not sure about that.
Before...
Luke2.JPG

After...Luke1.JPEG

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Ketoconazole is more toxic than itraconazole and fluconazole , but the least expensive and very effective. If you want efficacy and don't mind the price, try itraconazole pulse therapy ( needs Rx ) :
Administer 5-10 mg/kg PO q 24 h for 7days, then stop drug for 7 days, then treat again for 7 days, then stop for 7 days, then treat for a final 7 days. This week-on/week-off ā€œpulse regimenā€ saves cost and is effective because the drug accumulates in hair and skin tissue.

Fluconazole is the least toxic and doesn't need a Rx but not quite as effective as ketoconazole or itraconazole for skin infections, but good for ear infections, eye infections, central nervous system infections. There's a big range in doses, but a typical dose would be 5-10 mg/kg = 136-272 mg , or 150 or 275 mg rounded off , for your dog, once daily for 3-4 weeks.

Sometimes dogs with yeasty skin infections also have concurrent staphylococcal infections, so vets will sometimes also prescribe at same time cephalexin for 3-4 weeks.

Bathe your dog with a combination ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo ( eg. Ketohex, Curaseb ) once or twice weekly.

I would try to switch your dog to frozen raw dog food ( PREY model, not BARF model ) and avoid all sugars and starches.

You might want to give your dog cetirizine antihistamine daily.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Just make sure the probiotic youā€™re giving him is live from the fridge section in a health food store n not tablets off the shelves as those are useless. I go with fermented food as there is no need to break your head with dosage. But thatā€™s me.

You can also buy raw goats milk, and even add probiotic capsules such as Primal defense to that too and let it ferment. You can also buy commercial products like probiotic miracle or Proviable DC. Easiest way though as you said, is to buy milk kefir, or live raw sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store or refrigerator in organic section of supermarket etc

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online