helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] Decided to start a new tread for Newman. I think I will call him Jake. Again Newman reminds me of Jerry saying ā€œ Hellllooo Newmanā€. He slept well. I put him in the kennel cause heā€™s still intact. He tried on Nyala and she turned around and growled at him 2ā€ from his face. Nyala will put him in his place. But why risk a fight.... So for time being, he will be sleeping in the kennel till he gets his vasectomy. I want to give him a break n not do it now, maybe in a month. Living in a house is all new to him as he lived outside all year round. Donā€™t want to freak him out with new house, new food, rules, leash, walks etc etc. He does pant only when he sees people as he gets excited. He loves his raw I give him. He was fed frozen raw chicken so I know thereā€™s no allergies with chicken. Why variable protein every 2-3 months is so important as a pup. Then he had kibbles which was free fed throughout the day. Will have to do small steps with him for his food n treats. He doesnā€™t adventure throughout the house. Only living room n kitchen. Baby steps will get him there.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hi Paul Newman (Jake) and welcome to the forum. I hope you will soon settle in with Nyala. Sounds like a good start and it's beautiful that Duke's brother is helping Nyala and you through this difficult time. All the best from us.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
He's a really nice bulldog specimen! But if he's trying to mate with Nyala, why would vasectomy help with that? He'll still have all his testosterone- maybe leave him intact a little while longer until somewhere between 3-5 years of age and then neuter him. That way he won't be at risk of benign prostatic hyperplasia, prostatitis, perianal adenoma formation, and testicular tumors and he won't have the same behaviours. I know other risks can develop from neutering but from a behavioural point of view it seems it's worth it in his case.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
He's a really nice bulldog specimen! But if he's trying to mate with Nyala, why would vasectomy help with that? He'll still have all his testosterone- maybe leave him intact a little while longer until somewhere between 3-5 years of age and then neuter him. That way he won't be at risk of benign prostatic hyperplasia, prostatitis, perianal adenoma formation, and testicular tumors and he won't have the same behaviours. I know other risks can develop from neutering but from a behavioural point of view it seems it's worth it in his case.

Not for Nyala mostly for other dogs and probably wonā€™t make much of a difference. It does bring it down a tad but not much. At the age he is, fixed or not, his habits wonā€™t disappear. Also, I simply donā€™t want my males neutered. You know, even neutered dogs still can/get health issues. More n more studies shows neutered/spayed dogs are not immune. Simply read the posts in here and youā€™ll see they still can get health issues. This is a Western Side of the planet thingy. If you look at the other countries where there are more males intact, they sure donā€™t get any more sick than dogs on this side. I simply donā€™t want him to get a female pregnant. Jake carries Chocolate Merle and he was supposed to be sold to a breeder in a Ontario. They were coming down this month to pick him up. Heā€™s worth a lot but when the breeder found out what happened to Duke, she canceled all so we can have him instead. She knows heā€™s going to be in good hands n felt more at ease with us. She did say to make sure I have him fix. I will respect that too. But Iā€™m not in a hurry. :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Newman=Heleneā€™s new man. Hmmm. Iā€™m Okay with Jake. I wish you guys all the best. IMO, itā€™s best to give Nyala plenty of opportunity to correct Jake early on while Jake is still getting comfortable, the Honeymoon period.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I went back to my vet and Jake is in perfect health. We will wait a few weeks or a month before getting h fixed and he will do his soft palate as it's thick in there. Nostrils are a bit tight but lime vet said dogs don't die of nostrils but soft palates.

He will also put an alert in my file so if I'm coming down for an emergency his secretary will NOT tell me they are fully booked. Why Duke died cause I was forced to go see a vet with no experience in Bullies. He said he had a couple new secretaries and will talk to them about that issue. Also I told him everything what happened to Duke m what that vet did. He said that is suspicious. No reason why she did what she did.

So Jake weight is 55lbs. :)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Well I go back from my bet and Jake is in perfect health. We will wait a few weeks or a month before getting h fixed and he will do his soft palate as it's thick in there. Nostrils are a bit tight but lime vet said dogs don't die of nostrils but soft palates.

He will also put an alert in my file so if I'm coming down for an emergency his secretary will NOT tell me they are fully booked. Why Duke died cause I was forced to go see a vet with no experience in Bullies. He said he had a couple new secretaries and will talk to them about that issue. Also I told him everything what happened to Duke m what that vet did. He said that is suspicious. No reason why she did what she did.

So Jake weight is 55lbs. :)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Is the palate what caused the lungs to fill up with fluid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Is the palate what caused the lungs to fill up with fluid?

I donā€™t know as the story isnā€™t the whole story.... one says one thing n another says another thing.

according to my vet he said she should of empty the fluids which now wasnā€™t ā€œfullā€ of fluids just some fluids and leave Duke on the breathing tube till he gets back on track with his vitals. Not remove anything till she empty the fluids. I called to see if she was there as last week she wasnā€™t supposed to but was there. The girl that answered said Dukeā€™s X-ray had some fluids and wasnā€™t full like the vet said. In Canada doctors, vets are all protected.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I donā€™t know as the story isnā€™t the whole story.... one says one thing n another says another thing.

according to my vet he said she should of empty the fluids which now wasnā€™t ā€œfullā€ of fluids just some fluids and leave Duke on the breathing tube till he gets back on track with his vitals. Not remove anything till she empty the fluids. I called to see if she was there as last week she wasnā€™t supposed to but was there. The girl that answered said Dukeā€™s X-ray had some fluids and wasnā€™t full like the vet said. In Canada doctors, vets are all protected.

It does all sound very suspicious and rushed. Even your vet is confirming this. Sorry you had to be put through this!

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It does all sound very suspicious and rushed. Even your vet is confirming this. Sorry you had to be put through this!

My doubts was when she grabbed out of the box the needle to prepare to put him out permanently without me saying ok or anything . That was my red flag. I will go further with this but need to do a few more steps.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Pity you didnā€™t do the autopsy preferably by your own vet. Never let autopsy to be done by doctor who treated patient - first rule in human autopsy.
But at this grim moment any additional stress was just unbearable for you. I think they used your vulnerability to talk you out of autopsy.
Lung oedema is a symptom, not a disease on its own, that means it was caused by something. It could be heart condition (several of them), which causes increased blood pressure in pulmonary vessels and water just penetrates under pressure and fills the lungs, it could be acute anaphylactic allergic reaction (may be something bit him, like a snake, bcs you describe him going from 100% to zero in minutes), inhalation of a foreign object and obstruction (you know bulldogs, they can choke on their own clot of foamy saliva), very low protein in blood - blood becomes too watery and soaks into lungs, clot in pulmonary trunk (also, develops in minutes, potentially could be caused by overheating and dehydration).
It is usually treated with oxygen mask or intubation, and then there are certain meds used to gradually help lungs to drain liquid - massive injections of diuretics, cardiac medicines, drainage of free liquid from bronchial tree with the suction pipe and special meds Iā€™m not sure of English name for them, but itā€™s just like pure ethyl alcohol, and when you inhale vapour of basically vodka, it stops foaming of liquids in the lungs, bcs foaming makes it worse).
I was also surprised that they didnā€™t make more effort to save him as he was very young. Such a sad story.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Had Duke ever been evaluated for hypoplastic trachea? It not uncommon and symptoms can be exacerbated by an enlarged soft palate. Food for thought...and something to be mindful of when discussing Jakeā€™s well-being.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Had Duke ever been evaluated for hypoplastic trachea? It not uncommon and symptoms can be exacerbated by an enlarged soft palate. Food for thought...and something to be mindful of when discussing Jakeā€™s well-being.

Idk but, Duke had his full checkup this winter by his vet. No soft palate, heart, lungs, breathing issues whatsoever.

Jake was at the vet yesterday, he does have a soft palate problem. It will be fixed when he gets fixed. Need to wait a few weeks as I just go him a few days ago. Nostrils are a tad tight but not a big issue. Vet rather do the soft palate only. Too much of swelling around the face if you do all at the same time. Heart n lungs are great. Ear a bit of bacteria but he said continue whatever Iā€™m doing daily as itā€™s working. (Oils) I told him everything what happened to Duke so he can be alert for Jake since theyā€™re brothers. You never know.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Idk but, Duke had his full checkup this winter by his vet. No soft palate, heart, lungs, breathing issues whatsoever.

Jake was at the vet yesterday, he does have a soft palate problem. It will be fixed when he gets fixed. Need to wait a few weeks as I just go him a few days ago. Nostrils are a tad tight but not a big issue. Vet rather do the soft palate only. Too much of swelling around the face if you do all at the same time. Heart n lungs are great. Ear a bit of bacteria but he said continue whatever Iā€™m doing daily as itā€™s working. (Oils) I told him everything what happened to Duke so he can be alert for Jake since theyā€™re brothers. You never know.

I think thatā€™s why Iā€™m confused...cause I thought you had said Duke just had a wellness and there were no issues and then the ER report mentioned the soft palate. And I am sure you are confused by it all as well and want to know exactly what happened.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I think thatā€™s why Iā€™m confused...cause I thought you had said Duke just had a wellness and there were no issues and then the ER report mentioned the soft palate. And I am sure you are confused by it all as well and want to know exactly what happened.

Winter we just pass Duke had his annual checkup. His proper vet said he had no soft palate n great shape. Duke never had breathing problems. Unless it was stinking hot or when he was playing with his cousins I would remove him after 15 mins of playtime. Now last week this ER vet said he had a soft palate issue. Yes like all EB they need timeout if they are over doing it especially Duke. But neither of my dogs had breathing issues. But you are very right, itā€™s extremely confusing from everything Iā€™ve heard, read from the ER vet n techs. Like her notes, 1/2 is not what she said to me or what I said to her. Something is definitely off. Even my vet I saw yesterday said something is suspicious according to how she treated Duke. I do need to move on now.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.