Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Newman, (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Duke’s in the Emergency

I spoke to the vet and in a nutshell Duke as you all know was not the normal EB that was laid back n played normal. I always said he was a Jack Russell in an EB suite. It’s his airways that got the best of him which he lost control of his own breathing. When my son was coming over with his 3 dogs, Duke just didn’t know when to stop. Why I had to take him into the house after 10 minutes of playing. Aside from his non-stop playing he already had anxiety which was too much for his airways. He was breathing normal after his timeout. But Saturday he was so excited to go in the truck with Nyala n us he was panting a bit. But nothing out of the normal for an EB or Duke. It was only 18cel outside, not even hot. It’s his body that overheated and the temperature went up fast n he lost control of his breathing n why his lungs filled up of fluids. Even if she would have empty his lungs, he could breathe on his own as his airways collapsed. I wish I can go back n never have taken them out for a ride. She did say he had absolutely no murmur nor any heart issues. As I did ask as it was my #1 question . She said he was extremely fit n solid. She said its simply the breed of flat noses. But still, extremely hard to accept when you did/do everything in your power to keep your dog healthy, fit, eat like royalty n this happens. The airways n anxiety.

Nyala is a bit better. Just having issues her eating her meals. She’s snobbing her meals. She’s use to having Duke eating with her and would eat so Duke doesn’t steal her food. Now she’s back like when I got her, free fed type. Sadly I can’t free feed with raw. Tonight she ate a few bites n left it there. I took it away which she’ll have to wait tomorrow morning. I would love to baby her but Nyala is extremely wise n smart. I can’t let her win or I’ll end up catering her meals.

2. Likes Dollys Owner, 2BullyMama, ddnene liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for sharing, Helene. Give Nyala an extra big hug from us please...sounds like she could use it.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

Bulldog Vet in Training
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

So sorry again for Duke's premature passing. It sounds to me like Brachycephalic Airway Obstruction Syndrome (BAOS) , and there was really nothing that could be done to prevent this. We love bulldogs, and part of what endears them to us (flat faces ) also makes them so fragile.

5. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Helene. Give Nyala an extra big hug from us please...sounds like she could use it.
    I ended up giving her meal she didn’t want. I gave it else where than their regular spot. She ate it. Guess I’ll have to change some routines.

7. Likes Dollys Owner, Mmaker, cefe13, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Oh Helene, it is so sad. Poor Duke. Heartbreaking. No wonder Nyala doesn’t want to eat without her buddy. Sending hugs and prayers to you and Nyala.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for sharing what the vet says. Sending big hug to you and Nyala.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Thinking of you and Nyala! You're remaining in my thoughts, daily! I just still can't believe what you've been through. Peace and hugs friend!!!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Late last night I got a call from my breeder, she’s downsizing and is offering me Duke’s brother. He was my first choice but we went with Duke cause he was the chunky one n was such a little brat with his siblings. He was running everywhere, ramming into everything n simply being a clown. Little clown made us laugh n smiled so much we picked Duke. He sure didn’t change much as he was growing up. But Idk if I’m ready. She’s not getting rid of his brother immediately as she might use him one more time to breed. He has green eyes which she had no clue where that came from. As she said must of been that one gene he carried from an older ancestor.

I will have to think about it. A bit early for me.

-42416212-1845-4e74-a3f4-a9f203d35f19-jpeg-4141c12b-43f2-4c81-8f3d-54edf313a538-jpeg

Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Helene, go for it! It is early, but everyday hassles of taking care of a bully will make it easier for you, some kind of distraction! I think it’s an amazing coincidence that he needs a new home when your home became empty! And I feel like your heart already told you YES!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Duke’s in the Emergency

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Late last night I got a call from my breeder, she’s downsizing and is offering me Duke’s brother. He was my first choice but we went with Duke cause he was the chunky one n was such a little brat with his siblings. He was running everywhere, ramming into everything n simply being a clown. Little clown made us laugh n smiled so much we picked Duke. He sure didn’t change much as he was growing up. But Idk if I’m ready. She’s not getting rid of his brother immediately as she might use him one more time to breed. He has green eyes which she had no clue where that came from. As she said must of been that one gene he carried from an older ancestor.

I will have to think about it. A bit early for me.

-42416212-1845-4e74-a3f4-a9f203d35f19-jpeg-4141c12b-43f2-4c81-8f3d-54edf313a538-jpeg
    Go for it... there is a reason you got that call when you did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

When Chumly died, my dachshund went into a deep depression. Wouldn't eat, didn't want to go outside, slept all the time and generally lost all his personality. We weren't ready but Monty kind of dropped into our laps a few weeks later. It was the best thing for Barney (and me). He was scared of Monty at first but it brought him out of his depression. It certainly helped me with the loss of Chumly. It didn't take that pain away but I had to think about something else and not dwell on my grief.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

15. Likes Hceril, Lalaloopsie liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)

Do it!! Yes it’s early and Duke will never be replaced but his brother can help fill the void for both you and Nyala. Duke will forever be with you, a new dog will just be a new love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes Hceril, 1Chumly, Lalaloopsie, Chunky White liked this post
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Remove Ads