Stud service??

nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Hey everyone!

Recently Iā€™ve had a number of female English bulldog owners approach me and nacho asking if I am open to Studding nacho.

Iā€™ve never done this or even thought about it, and Iā€™m not sure what to say or think. They offer me money for his ā€œserviceā€ lol

It seems interesting and Iā€™m not going to lie and say Iā€™m 100% opposed to it.

I wanted to reach out and see what you guys think about this? Is it something worth checking out? Is there a risk or cost on my end? Whatā€™s a proponer charge for something like this?

Thank you all in advance!:)

54d752a7888389b611acbeb30d0f9874.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I'm no expert but would be careful unless the owners approaching you are serious breeders and Nacho has a good pedigree and is very healthy. Nacho looks great and if you are interested in breeding him I would contact breeders and perhaps the kennel club for advice on how to proceed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no knowledge... maybe. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] or @goobersmom have insight for US situation

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I'm no expert but would be careful unless the owners approaching you are serious breeders and Nacho has a good pedigree and is very healthy. Nacho looks great and if you are interested in breeding him I would contact breeders and perhaps the kennel club for advice on how to proceed.

Agreed. You donā€™t want to just breed to any female. Both dogs should be health tested and come from good bloodlines. A lot of research should be done especially if neither party is a breeder. Some good resources would be to go to a local dog show, kennel club, see if your area has a local bulldog club. You can also get some information from the Bulldog Club of Americaā€™s website.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
We had a female when I was younger that was bred twice and each time the stud fee was a pup or the price of one. That was almost 20 years ago so I am not sure how that works these days. The breeder we bought her from had two studs and one female and he did all the breeding work with us handling the pups once they were born.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Studding a male dog is not an easy thing, usually dog must have their health tested, ideally they should have Their DNA and fertility tested and they should have some awards from dog shows. So, usually people who invest into it, are breed fanatics because fees rarely cover the effort and show and testing fees, unless you have several famous studs or a whole kennel.
Also, not every male dog can successfully mate. Some are scared of female, some just mount and cannot penetrate, etc. Itā€™s not an easy process. I saw how stud owner had to help his dog in process, was quite embarrassing.
Remember also that male bulldogs have to move vigorously in process and can easily overheat, especially in summer. As far as I know really valuable studs arent even allowed to perform the process themselves, owners donā€™t want to risk, you just order sperm and owner takes them to vet where sperm is collected and sent to you. Then artificial insemination is performed.
People who approach you most probably are ā€œat home breedersā€, who hope to just get a litter to help themselves with bills. They usually have no clue about breeding.
No breeder will approach you in the street, because couple to mate is carefully selected according to their qualities - health, appearance, colour etc. The goal of breeding is to improve the breed and get puppies with best possible qualities. And pairs are chosen not on the basis of just average person judgement, it must be supported by health tests and show awards.
So, itā€™s your choice to participate in such a breeding or not. I wouldnā€™t. First of all, Nacho isnā€™t really a ā€œstudā€ in real breeding sense (despite he is gorgeous bull), so breeding him is unethical, as you donā€™t know if he carries hip displasia gene etc. And second, for you as an owner risks outweigh the benefits in my vision. Not worth it. Remember about STD in dogs, too. If female was bred with unknown mates, especially many times, she almost sure carries some infections (chlamydia etc).

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] gave some good advice, plus never let bulldogs breed naturally, they can get too hot, and have problems. Always do artificial insemination. So you will either have to take him to the vet for collection, or do it yourself. In my opinion in the US, only AKC champions should be used as sire or dam when breeding. Nothing against your dog because from the pic he looks good, but can't see the rest of him, plus the people who want to use him are probably back yard breeders and just breeding for money, which I am totally against. But that's just my opinion. Hope the info helps.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.