Anyone ever use a Treadmill for their dog?

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Holistic and W/D are kibble

I have some honest kitchen. Just never tried it. Is it low calorie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi Andy, sorry I can’t offer any advice about the treadmill but we recently (around 6 months ago) had to change Dudley’s food from dry kibble to tinned wet food due to his kidney stones but since then he has lost nearly 5kg, now we are actually trying to get some weight back on him he’s a big bully and is just looking a little too slim :)

We had him to the vets to do all the usual tests to make sure there wasn’t another problem, which there isn’t and the vet said it was quite common to lose weight on wet because it’s a higher % of water and overall weight wise it’s less calories than his kibble was.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I've been told that a treadmill can screw with a Bulldog's rolling gait. Show breeders do not use them. Not so sure about these claims.

Pebbles is heavy but young and has a large frame for a female. I'd agree with the Vet that she needs to shed some weight. I would not set the bar as high(12-16 lbs) as the Vet...10 lbs would probably be good. She's a big girl. Anyway, lose the 10 and see what she looks like. If the waist is not well-defined, lose more.

My recommendation is to cut her kibble in half right away and add as many frozen green beans(warmed, of course) as she can eat...1/2-1 Cup. That will fill her up. If you treat her, then give her kibbles from her daily ration. Watch the weight fall off.

Exercise when you can, weather permitting.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Doc says she should lose 12-16 lbs. and get down from 66 to 50-55 lbs.

Hard to get much exercise in Houston as it’s so humid in summer.

Winter/fall we walked 3/4 mile 5 nights a week.

Like Christine mentioned dehydrated raw or frozen raw will slim her down no matter what. Ever consider a cooling vest for her summer walks? When you live in Texas or dry area like so, you’re very limited for walks with flat noses. What’s easy with dogs is it’s easier to put them on a diet as you’re in control of their meals. But raw, semi cook green beans, frozen berries are great diet food. Also a great probiotic like froze smelly tripe, chlorophyll in their diets helps weight loss. For humans too.

ramesh

Jun 26, 2019
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
:yes:yes i did that experiment that was so funny but at same time it is dangerous for your dog so kindly avoid this idea

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Thanks everyone

Guess we are back to frozen green beans.

Saved me 700 on a treadmill which I can put towards the Bam Bam house destruction fund.

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
Pebbles is a big cutie pie, but who is that other adorable smoochie face with her?

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Pebbles is a big cutie pie, but who is that other adorable smoochie face with her?

That would be my little 8 month old BAM BAM. Pebbles & Bam Bam

Ever seen a seen a 10K bulldog? That would be Bam Bam....

Purchase price plus what she has destroyed in the house.

Yesterday she took a liking to my wifes custom leather chair....

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old

That's a pricey bullydog. Glad we got rid of our Italian leather furniture. My wife would have had a cow if one of our dogs did that to our couch. Our dogs are not allowed on the furniture at all. Good luck both of them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That would be my little 8 month old BAM BAM. Pebbles & Bam Bam

OH MY!!! she has pent up energy.... can you get a Kong wobbler, have her eat her kibble from it? We used it for Banks and got her tired out. I also used it for treats…

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
That's a pricey bullydog. Glad we got rid of our Italian leather furniture. My wife would have had a cow if one of our dogs did that to our couch. Our dogs are not allowed on the furniture at all. Good luck both of them.

Ours are not allowed on the furniture either. We tried leaving her out of the crate we went left the house a few times. We installed a gate to keep her away from stairs and front door which she has chewed. Both door and stairs are new.

Now when we leave she is crated.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Add a glass coffee table to Bam Bams tab.

Ran they the legs and knocked it over. Shattered the glass.

Wife is pissed. Dog has destroyed our house.

I’m just trying to keep up with the repairs.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Add a glass coffee table to Bam Bams tab.

Ran they the legs and knocked it over. Shattered the glass.

Wife is pissed. Dog has destroyed our house.

I’m just trying to keep up with the repairs.

Holy crap!! This is crazy... we have glass table too .. never really go near them

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Well bam bam has started attacking pebbles again.

When my wife eats anything if pebbles is near then bam bam jumps her.

I am going to try the trainer again as he never fully trained her as he hurt his back.

I have a feeling this is something that can’t be trained out but willing to try anything.

I think we will have to find her another home. I have never given up on a dog but my blind Shar pei has been attacked and yesterday it happened next to my 8 yr old granddaughter.

She is the sweetest dog, house trained, loves the pool. She just doesn’t like my other dogs.

If anyone knows maybe someone who just lost a dog who has no other dogs we may need to talk.

At night we watch tv on the bed & I have to have a leash on her to make sure she doesn’t attack pebbles.

This stopped for about a month after initial training but back in full force.

It’s so depressing. Pebbles is sad, I can see it in her face. We can’t play fetch unless my wife hold bam bams leash.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well bam bam has started attacking pebbles again.

When my wife eats anything if pebbles is near then bam bam jumps her.

I am going to try the trainer again as he never fully trained her as he hurt his back.

I have a feeling this is something that can’t be trained out but willing to try anything.

I think we will have to find her another home. I have never given up on a dog but my blind Shar pei has been attacked and yesterday it happened next to my 8 yr old granddaughter.

She is the sweetest dog, house trained, loves the pool. She just doesn’t like my other dogs.

If anyone knows maybe someone who just lost a dog who has no other dogs we may need to talk.

At night we watch tv on the bed & I have to have a leash on her to make sure she doesn’t attack pebbles.

This stopped for about a month after initial training but back in full force.

It’s so depressing. Pebbles is sad, I can see it in her face. We can’t play fetch unless my wife hold bam bams leash.

So sorry to hear it has come to this... where inTexas are you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.