Another EB dies @PetSmart Grooming

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I donā€™t know, why to cause unnecessary stress to a dog, leaving him alone (stress) in the hands of strangers (plus more stress), to be washed (which many dogs not so happy about, even more stress)? And yet to pay for it? It takes 15 minutes to give dog a shower, and it is a bonding experience. And they DO use hair driers, I saw that multiple times. Hair drier sound and feeling alone can cause a heart attack in bulldog.
And NO, groomers are NOT experienced particularly in assessing level of bulldog distress or resuscitate them!
This family paid high price for being either lazy to wash him themselves, or being too naive to imagine that getting groomed in PetSmart equals SPA experience in people. Grooming is very rarely very enjoyable for dogs, it is very intimate for them to let someone wash and brush them and donā€™t like stranger to do it for them. Not everyone likes SPA or massage, but humans arenā€™t forced to undergo it if they donā€™t like, but dogs are.
I can understand if someone can not do dogs nails (itā€™s not so easy, dogs can be very nervous, you can cut them and draw blood, etc) but then at any vets office they do it for a small fee or even for free if youā€™re valued client. And I never heard about dog dying after grooming at vets, because probably if someone IS experienced in assessing dogs level of distress, they know when to stop. But I donā€™t understand why to send dog for a shower.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sad ... I wish people would stop going to these places.. if you donā€™t want to do it yourself find a REAL groomer not a mass production .. where crate dryers are used.

Find a small privately owned business that knows their stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I break out in hives from wet dog hair... so I take my dogs to a groomer that I have used for years. She uses a dremel to file down their nails, and she is literally a block away from my vet.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nyala loves being pampered but Duke freaks out with the dryer and itā€™s important for I dry him so he knows heā€™s ok. I canā€™t imagine someone else he doesnā€™t know pinning him down or collar around his neck to dry him. I know Duke heā€™ll jump off the table 200%. Only takes like mention 15mins n youā€™re done. I also rather use my own shampoo that 100% natural cause of skin allergies. Summers I wash them in the backyard n winter I go to my corner Pet Valu and bring all my own gear/products and it only cost $10. Canā€™t complain for $10. They also always have a bowl of dried liver for the dogs. Duke sure sits there n waits for his treats before n after his bath.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I take mine to a Petco self dog wash. $10, different height baths to save on your back, towels and shampoo (if you want) included. I believe Petsmart is now offering the same thing. It's a no-brainer for us, not that Monty gets a bath very often!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Jax goes in the kitchen sink and Louie goes in the bathtub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I take mine to a Petco self dog wash. $10, different height baths to save on your back, towels and shampoo (if you want) included. I believe Petsmart is now offering the same thing. It's a no-brainer for us, not that Monty gets a bath very often!

Where I go too. They supply all. Just I rather bring my own stuff.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I would think the hairdryers would have a really bad affect on the bulldog breathing. When my blind Dalmatian was alive I took him to Petsmart for bathing. The groomer was awesome. I told him that the dog would freak out with the hairdryer because of the hot air shooting on him plus the frequency sound. He would hold him in that area for a few hours wiping him down to speed the drawing without dryers. Then he would spend at least 45 minutes coming out all that hair. Adam liked this groomer so much and never gave him any issues. Because the fellow followed my directions, he got a great tip. On that note, I would never leave Porkchop at Petco or Petsmart. I asked one recently how to become a groomer. She said they attend a one-month school. I donā€™t know what the curriculum consists of. We do go there for nail grinding as Pork stands still for them, not so with me.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.