Stone chewing

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Hi

Bruce is 8 weeks old and we have had him 3 days.

We have a new build home and there are lots of small stone running around the back of the house and fence towards the back gate. Bruce loves these but I have read it is not good to allow them the chew on incase they swallow.

He also sits on the grass and tries to chew the concrete slabs. You can hear his teeth grating on the slabs. You say 'No' move him away, shout, bang and he just growls and runs back.

Any ideas? Removing the stones isnt an option as there are a lot of them and dont have the money to replace them with something. I just dont want him to hurt himself.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Very normal behavior for puppies... I think most of us has been thru this stage. His teeth are irritating him, so he will chew on everything... keep an eye on him, and give him appropriate chews such as antlers and Nylabones. Please do NOT give him rawhides, those can be a real chocking hazard.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Great thank you I will go out and have another look tonight. He has a teething ring which he chews in the house just outside he wants the stones

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
V
Great thank you I will go out and have another look tonight. He has a teething ring which he chews in the house just outside he wants the stones

Give him frozen “raw” marrow bones. He will never touch stones or furnitures. Have them cut like 3” n feed from frozen. Marrow is extremely good for their immune system.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
I will give that a go thank you. Anything to stop me running around the garden shouting 'no' haha

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If he will not leave the stones alone, you may have to leash him, until he learns that is not good, or he grows out of that stage! If he has lots of "chew" toys, he may not need the stones.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi

Bruce is 8 weeks old and we have had him 3 days.

We have a new build home and there are lots of small stone running around the back of the house and fence towards the back gate. Bruce loves these but I have read it is not good to allow them the chew on incase they swallow.

He also sits on the grass and tries to chew the concrete slabs. You can hear his teeth grating on the slabs. You say 'No' move him away, shout, bang and he just growls and runs back.

Any ideas? Removing the stones isnt an option as there are a lot of them and dont have the money to replace them with something. I just dont want him to hurt himself.

You describe my life about 7 years ago... new build home, stones every where and our girl ended up swallowing one. Yep, surgery to remove and a couple weeks of rest.
We had to stay right next to her in the yard for the first year till the grass grew in and the stones were covered. as someone else suggested, leash him or stick by his side and teach him the 'leave it' command.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
If a dig up and remove all the little stones what would be a good cheap substitute?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If a dig up and remove all the little stones what would be a good cheap substitute?

I’m thinking that may not be so cheap, but depends on size of the yard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have a yard full of river rocks and thankfully the boys are not interested in them. However, the border around the yard is filled with bark chips and Louie LOVES to eat them. I have slowly been removing the bark chips but it's a long process. I actually am contemplating moving some of the river rocks to where the bark chips are so then I can put in more grass.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Mulch is not so good, either. When visiting someone who had mulch, my pups would just "wolf" it down like kibble-so glad I never had mulch!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.