Someone got their distichia de-stichified this morning...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I had to dig them out, ‘‘twas a challenge. I like a challenge...usually.

Looks like it was quite painful !! How long did you wait to dig out stitches? Usually stitches should be taken out by 10-14 days after surgery to prevent them getting ingrown.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It must be catching. I just went through the same thing with my eye. I kept thinking I had a cat hair in my eye, then it eventually got worse until it felt like a brick!

OUCH!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Looks like it was quite painful !! How long did you wait to dig out stitches? Usually stitches should be taken out by 10-14 days after surgery to prevent them getting ingrown.
Doc said given the depth of the wound that 2-3 weeks would be necessary. I waited 17 days before beginning to pull them...over 4 day period.
The center of the site was the deepest and that's where the graft was. As it healed the single stitches at either end were the ones to begin to disappear. They're the ones I removed first. I allowed the center double stitches to stay in longer because that area was still weeping and clearly was not fully healed. Those were the ones that I had to dig out. Would have been nice to have some of the "freeze spray".
Sandy thinks I pulled them too early. I told her, "mind yer own foot!" OK, that's not exactly what I said.
My apologies to the OP for going way off topic.

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I just went through the same thing with my eye. I kept thinking I had a cat hair in my eye, then it eventually got worse until it felt like a brick!
Yeah! I thought I had a little sawdust in mine. That went on for 3 days until I couldn't stand it anymore. Eye Dr. found multiple lashes in both eyes that were growing funky. I suspect that the ingrown lashes are the by-product of years of Blepharitis due to extreme seasonal allergy. Ever since I was a child my allergies were just awful. They peaked at about 40 years old, and not being able to stand it anymore I started allergy shots. The Blepharitis stopped immediately...but apparently, the damage was done.
OMG, I wish I had done that years earlier. I went from taking 8 to 10 Benadryl per day to getting monthly maintenance shots and 4 Zyrtec/day. At its worst, in the Spring and Fall, I was having to wake up in the middle of the night, every night, and take 2 benadryl.

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
BTW, and back on topic, MINI is much better today. Her swelling is going down and she's breathing much better. Last night we even let her play for about 10 minutes. We will turn her loose tonight!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy that both you and Mini are on the mend! I guess she got to play a little sooner than you! Wasn't really necessary of you to try and compete with her surgery! We still would have cared about you! [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.