Eating less / new food recommendations

Shipwreck

Oct 4, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Our boy Duke, 11 month male, has really slowed down/reduced eating. Itā€™s been a few weeks and he is getting a little thinner, not alarmingly thin but his harness is not tight anymore. I am looking for a new food before we do anything else. We currently feed Fromm Heartland Large Breed Puppy.

1) Heā€™s still playful and very happy
2) He will scarf down anything from our plates (egg, ground beef, rice) but doesnā€™t get this often to where you think it would ruin his appetite, maybe a little once a week.
3) Drinks plenty of water
4) Eats his current food a little at a time in shifts, almost reluctantly.

Not an expert but I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything more serious going on at the moment and would like to get a food that would be tasty/delicious and try that first. Of course if that didnā€™t work then we would step up our concern.

So, what foods might be more flavorful for dogs that I could try next?

Thank You!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Our boy Duke, 11 month male, has really slowed down/reduced eating. Itā€™s been a few weeks and he is getting a little thinner, not alarmingly thin but his harness is not tight anymore. I am looking for a new food before we do anything else. We currently feed Fromm Heartland Large Breed Puppy.

2) He will scarf down anything from our plates (egg, ground beef, rice) but doesnā€™t get this often to where you think it would ruin his appetite, maybe a little once a week.

Not an expert but I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything more serious going on at the moment and would like to get a food that would be tasty/delicious and try that first. Of course if that didnā€™t work then we would step up our concern.

Thank You!

Kibbles is boring compared to your food. Little guy knows that. I definitely would switch him to one protein bags of Acana. Rotate protein bags every 2-3 months so his body gets use to different proteins n youā€™ll avoid a lot of allergies. Fromm Heartland Large Breed Puppyā€˜s protein are beef n pork so that means your dog is doing good with them 2 protein. Now select one that he hasnā€™t tried like Acana Duck which is more digestible. They also have lamb, fish, beef etc. keep a journal on each protein so youā€™ll know what he canā€™t eat n what he can. Both my dogs have ā€œnoā€ allergies with chicken as I rotated their kibbles as pups. Today both are on frozen raw. Watch for all the intakes of legumes n potatoes. Why I always suggest Acana as they use meat as protein n not legumes. Also they add tripe which is a great probiotic. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Thank You!

At 11 months, you can switch to adult kibble, since feeding Fromm, you can just go right to one of the all stage food... my guys did great on Pork and Peas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shipwreck

Oct 4, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Update

Duke inhaled his Acana samples from our local pet store ... I think one was beef and pumpkin ... I ended up returning for a bag of acana duck and pear which he likes but not as much as the sample. Either way he will now get acana adult varieties and is back to eating non stop ...

Thanks for all the suggestions

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Must be a Duke thing [MENTION=18655]Shipwreck[/MENTION].... MY Duke when he was eating kibbles n was also Acana he would inhale like a vacuum. I got him a slow feeder like the one below. I needed something with more of a maze n this one worked. Heā€™s on raw now. He also had a bad habit snapping at his snacks from your fingers. Itā€™s all about training of course.

7A79D6F3-96D5-47C6-A607-715C799BB41B.jpeg

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online