Is a heater a good idea ?

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
Since i live in the Southern Hempishere, we are experiencing winter. Our pups sleep in our small living room, next to the kitchen, where the floors are all tiled. It is really the only area available for them. Needles to say it gets really cold. However our dogs sleep in plastic beds, and it's filled with blankets. Underneath their beds, i put cardbord to absorb the cold. This winter has been colder than previous winters, and i can see they do suffer. And i throw more and more blankets on them.

I am wondering if a heater will help. I'm thinking of getting one of those small heaters that spread the heat around instead of concentrating on a specific area.

Is it healthy for them ? Obviously i will put it at a distance. But i have also heard bulldogs suffer from heatstroke.

If not a heater, any other good ideas to keep them warm ?

OP
yankydoodle

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
Ok. I spoke to the vet. Heater not a good idea, but a heat mat is suitable.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Since i live in the Southern Hempishere, we are experiencing winter. Our pups sleep in our small living room, next to the kitchen, where the floors are all tiled. It is really the only area available for them. Needles to say it gets really cold. However our dogs sleep in plastic beds, and it's filled with blankets. Underneath their beds, i put cardbord to absorb the cold. This winter has been colder than previous winters, and i can see they do suffer. And i throw more and more blankets on them.

I am wondering if a heater will help. I'm thinking of getting one of those small heaters that spread the heat around instead of concentrating on a specific area.

Is it healthy for them ? Obviously i will put it at a distance. But i have also heard bulldogs suffer from heatstroke.

If not a heater, any other good ideas to keep them warm ?

I personally wouldn’t. Dogs gets use to cold. I’m in Canada and our winters here can get extremely harsh. My breeder, all her Frenchie’s n English bulldogs live outside. They all have massive runs, dog houses with straw n they are fine. If it's -40’s n up, she will bring them in.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I was wondering if you could use another type of bed, which is more padded? Castor has a bed like this. They absorb any draught. We put a duvet (baby size, from ikea) with duvet cover in the bed.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ok. I spoke to the vet. Heater not a good idea, but a heat mat is suitable.

Hey fellow SA winter sufferer! We just moved to Cape Town from US and I feel your pain! If your room is not too big, the best option is infrared heating poster. It is the safest (never heats over 60-70 C), doesn’t dry air, just 300 watts per hour. You put it on the wall and it heats room nicely. It works not as fast as typical heaters, but is very cost effective and safe. I bought some for my house.
May be check this out.
https://www.takealot.com/easy-heat-infrared-poster-heater-butterflies/PLID51975858

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I was wondering if you could use another type of bed, which is more padded? Castor has a bed like this. They absorb any draught. We put a duvet (baby size, from ikea) with duvet cover in the bed.

Neat bed! I presume you just pass the vacuum in it n wash or are there some with a cover you throw in the washer? I see one has a zipper.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Neat bed! I presume you just pass the vacuum in it n wash or are there some with a cover you throw in the washer? I see one has a zipper.

Yes, there are cotton covers that I think work like fitted sheets with an elastic, but for cold winters it's probably warmer with a duvet. Vacuum is a good idea but we just wipe the bed off now and then and throw Castor's bedding in the washer.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online