Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grain Free and Heart Disease...

Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Grain Free and Heart Disease...

@Lalaloopsie - on second thought about the subject, I think green peas and green beans are safer than fava beans, since the lectin content of green beans, peas and other soft vegetables are much lower than hard beans like fava beans and kidney beans and lentils, so you're probably right about Carna4. I fed it to my dog for a while, but didn't notice any allergy improvements compared to previous foods. In future if I got another dog who didn't have any allergies I would still feed it frozen raw dog food rather than giving it dog food supplemented with taurine.

I noticed that Zignature dog foods have beet pulp, which is another ingredient tied to lowering taurine levels, so you're probably better sticking with Earthborne Holistic Venture line if you want a limited ingredient extruded dog food.

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, nowadays we have to watch like hawks what’s in dog food. I feed my Tank home cooked food, in this way I always know what’s in his bowl. I use meat (change it every 4-5 months), veggies (pumpkin, butternut, carrot), non-gluten grains like whole buckwheat, rice (also change them), some offal meats. I supplement home cooked food with Nuvet vitamins, high EPA/DHA fish oil with Zinc, joint supplement, Vit A,E couple of times a week. He has currently no signs of allergies and his ears are very dry and clean inside, I probably clean them may be once a month, no brown discharge. He has no tear stains, but I remember when he was very small and still more or less able to eat kibble, one type of Acana turned his tears brown. I tried all varieties of higher quality kibble because his stools were never good even before he got sick with Parvovirus.
    He is very prone to allergies, though, this is how my home cooking story started when he was 5 months old. He always had diarrhoea from commercial food, but after he survived Parvovirus at 5 mo, the very first time when doctors let him eat and I gave him a bit of canned food he developed hives and face swelling. He was put on meds and chicken-rice diet, but when I tried to add a bit of canned food or kibble, he started developing hives and face swelling again. It was scary, so I decided I will cook for him. Since then I feed him home cooked food and it seems like it is working for us.
    I am myself very particular about what my family eats, we cook a lot and I make my own bread, yogurt with live lacto/ bifido bacteria, sauerkraut, dried meat jerky (for Tank too, his own jerky without spices), can my own jams/pickles etc. So, cooking for Tank became very natural for me. Even my husband learnt to cook for Tank, so when we now relocated to South Africa and he stayed with Tank alone for a month before my arrival he cooked for him!

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaloopsie View Post
    Even my husband learnt to cook for Tank, so when we now relocated to South Africa and he stayed with Tank alone for a month before my arrival he cooked for him!
    HAH! And that's exactly why we have "Father's Day"!

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

5. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaloopsie View Post
    Yeah, nowadays we have to watch like hawks what’s in dog food. I feed my Tank home cooked food, in this way I always know what’s in his bowl. I use meat (change it every 4-5 months), veggies (pumpkin, butternut, carrot), non-gluten grains like whole buckwheat, rice (also change them), some offal meats. I supplement home cooked food with Nuvet vitamins, high EPA/DHA fish oil with Zinc, joint supplement, Vit A,E couple of times a week. He has currently no signs of allergies and his ears are very dry and clean inside, I probably clean them may be once a month, no brown discharge. He has no tear stains, but I remember when he was very small and still more or less able to eat kibble, one type of Acana turned his tears brown. I tried all varieties of higher quality kibble because his stools were never good even before he got sick with Parvovirus.
    He is very prone to allergies, though, this is how my home cooking story started when he was 5 months old. He always had diarrhoea from commercial food, but after he survived Parvovirus at 5 mo, the very first time when doctors let him eat and I gave him a bit of canned food he developed hives and face swelling. He was put on meds and chicken-rice diet, but when I tried to add a bit of canned food or kibble, he started developing hives and face swelling again. It was scary, so I decided I will cook for him. Since then I feed him home cooked food and it seems like it is working for us.
    I am myself very particular about what my family eats, we cook a lot and I make my own bread, yogurt with live lacto/ bifido bacteria, sauerkraut, dried meat jerky (for Tank too, his own jerky without spices), can my own jams/pickles etc. So, cooking for Tank became very natural for me. Even my husband learnt to cook for Tank, so when we now relocated to South Africa and he stayed with Tank alone for a month before my arrival he cooked for him!
    That's amazing how much effort you put in !!! I'm happy my dog is thriving on the frozen raw, so I don't have to do all that. I do make my own water kefir which I feed Honey, which saves me money on probiotics.

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    That's amazing how much effort you put in !!! I'm happy my dog is thriving on the frozen raw, so I don't have to do all that. I do make my own water kefir which I feed Honey, which saves me money on probiotics.
    Yes such a big difference feeding from frozen.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads