paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop is 9 yrs old as of last week. He's got back issues, the occasional toe cysts & yeasty nose yet otherwise healthy, not overweight. He started taking CBD oil 3 months ago, which perked him up for awhile. He also takes Carprofen, Movoflex and recently Turmeric Bytes for the back inflammation and pain. In the last two weeks, I've noticed that he's sleeping more, doesn't approach his food until a couple hours after it's served and then doesn't eat it all. When offered his treats, like the dental chews or rawhide, he sniffs and leaves them. He doesn't sleep in his bed anymore, just on the carpet or the hardwood near the front door. He just seems 'blah'. The only time he gets truly excited is when I open the garage door and he races to the car. He loves to go for rides. Even if I'm just going to the gas station, I tote him along so he can have his ride. I'm a virtual worker and have noticed that he now follows me around the house. He didn't do this before a month or so ago.

I had read that EBD's have an average life span of 9-12 yrs and am wondering if he is in his twilight days. Or perhaps it's because his back pain just makes him slow down and he wants to stay close? Any thoughts?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I’m thinking it is the back... see if you can find a place that offers laser therapy— it really works and helps relieve the pain in the spine. Both my boys have it done once a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Can be the back but on the other hand he wouldn’t be dashing to the garage without having pain. Or does he? Hard to say as all dogs as the get older they like being closer to us. BTW regarding the dental chews or rawhide, IMO absolutely stop giving them as it can simply sit there in the stomach n painful. Give raw marrow bones instead. Much healthier.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm thinking the back pain also. At 9 he should still be pretty active.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My boxer lived to be 10, and whenever I noticed ANY behavior out of the norm I would contact the vet... she would do a checkup and sure enough something would be up. It's hard to know when they are in pain, but pay attention to those subtle signs... they can mean something is going on.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll get a vet appointment for a complete physical.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.