Out of Crate Training

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
Hello! Does anyone have any advice on training my two year old bulldog to stay out of his crate all of the time, day and night????

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello! Does anyone have any advice on training my two year old bulldog to stay out of his crate all of the time, day and night????

Hummmmm...Close the door? :D

A lot of dogs find their kennel as a security place/blanket. Try closing the door or get it out of the house n simply put a bed on the floor but in a different area. See what happens.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Yep, as Helene stated...once out, close it up.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/Helene... I leave the crate opened, so my crew know when they could get into trouble (hence the vacuum cleaner) they relax in there until the torture is over... Lol

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Bella likes to lay in hers!
When we get home from being out she is usually laying in it (the door is left open) or she’ll be on my bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
Wrangler doesn't really want to be in his. When he is allowed to roam the house and it's time for him to be back in it, he resists. But I can't leave him out like when im gone or anything because he makes a mess. He also like to mark his territory on everything,, which I heard could be because he isn't fixed. He's also a chewer. I have to be watching him constantly. If any blankets, shoes, kids toys, or anything is left out, he pees on it. I actually have an old indian statue in the corner of the living room, and he pees on it too. is this just because he isn't fixed or is this something I can fix without having to get him fixed??

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler doesn't really want to be in his. When he is allowed to roam the house and it's time for him to be back in it, he resists. But I can't leave him out like when im gone or anything because he makes a mess. He also like to mark his territory on everything,, which I heard could be because he isn't fixed. He's also a chewer. I have to be watching him constantly. If any blankets, shoes, kids toys, or anything is left out, he pees on it. I actually have an old indian statue in the corner of the living room, and he pees on it too. is this just because he isn't fixed or is this something I can fix without having to get him fixed??

How old is he? Have you had him as a pup?

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
He’s almost 3 and yes I have.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
He’s almost 3 and yes I have.

Ahh yes Wrangler the one that also has skin allergies. Just dawned on me your other post.

Basically your dog is bored. Dogs don’t do all that if their energy is burned off. Like example, do you walk your dog before going out or work or after supper etc? Even if he’s fixed, he’ll still chew on things n pees in the house, @ almost 3 yrs old fix or not he’ll still do what he’s doing if he’s not discipline or trained. From what I’m reading, he’s not allowed to roam the house cause he always makes a mess as you stated. So basically he spends a lot of time in his crate, correct? If so, that’s your problem there why he doesn’t want to go in it.

One more thing regards your other post, get him off Beneful. You’re not feeding ANY protein to your dog(s). Protein = stop chewing shoes.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/evr_dg_focusing_on_protein_in_the_diet

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Louie is 2 now and he started marking everything around 10 months or so in the house. he got neutered just before 1 and the indoor marking stopped. He has however marked inside other peoples houses. Louie can’t have any bedding in his crate when he is home alone. He would tear apart the crate pad and he actually ate a chunk of blanket.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie is 2 now and he started marking everything around 10 months or so in the house. he got neutered just before 1 and the indoor marking stopped. He has however marked inside other peoples houses. Louie can’t have any bedding in his crate when he is home alone. He would tear apart the crate pad and he actually ate a chunk of blanket.

He was trying to hide the “Evidence” so hey, what better way to eat it. Not as if you’re going to check in his poop.

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
Wrangler doesn’t have bedding either cause he chews it up. Thanks for your advice though.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@HannahYother Many dogs can never be trusted out of the crate, when you are not there. All of mine were trustworthy b y 3 yrs. of age. When you are there, you have to know where he is at all times,and what he is up to. If he does pee, you must show him that it is wrong, and buy a cleaner such as
[h=1]Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator - Enzyme-Powered Pet Odor & Stain Remover for Dog and Cats Urine this has great reviews.[/h] If the smell is still there from his marking-he will do it again. He can be taught, it just takes diligence on your part. When you are not there, he goes into his crate, with no bedding. If he did swallow some, there would be big trouble. When mine had to be in crate, I always threw a few treats in so they didn't mind. If you take him to someone else's home, keep him on a leash, and pay attention... Hope this helps a little

Last edited:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
He was trying to hide the “Evidence” so hey, what better way to eat it. Not as if you’re going to check in his poop.

I knew he ate the blanket because he threw it up! And I was squishing it around in my hands trying to figure out what it was and then I had the a-ha moment! Oh and I will squish around the poop too hee hee...but not with bare hands. He used to eat toy parts too so it was poop watch time to make sure they came out.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I knew he ate the blanket because he threw it up! And I was squishing it around in my hands trying to figure out what it was and then I had the a-ha moment! Oh and I will squish around the poop too hee hee...but not with bare hands. He used to eat toy parts too so it was poop watch time to make sure they came out.

When my GS was like 3-4 months old which he never touched shoes or anything BUT like you, I come home from work n I swing close the living room curtains. I see on the floor a small hard thick little ball type behind the curtains. I pick it up and just couldn’t figure out what on earth it was. I go under the light get a better look n I see writing. Was my one of my Louis Vuitton glove!! Man I wanted to ring his fregen neck. I swear! lollll. Kept repeating to myself, he’s a puppy, a puppy playing with leather. My fault as I shouldn’t have left my gloves on the staircase. But... I didn’t talk to him for a few days and trust me he sure knew what he did was wrong after putting the ball under his nose.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.