Susan Alba

Dec 16, 2015
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
I hope I'ts Okay if I ask multiple questions here
I have a 5 year old bulldog. Rescued from petland at 6 mo.s old (son worked there, after surgery he was to "old" to adopt after recovery) So my Bosco is un-neutered. Does not like strange adults...he growls at them. But he loves every child he meets. So problem, at 5 years old us there really much benefit to neutering at this point? He is super healthy, free feeds and doesnt overeat. He is aggressive towards strange adults. I just do not want to have a change in is personality...he has so much energy , hes a love bug, plays fetch and I love him like a child. I'm afraid he will change if I fix him. I also need advice on clipping his nails, I sometimes can get one at a time while hes asleep, but he is so freaked out by it I'm afraid he will hurt himself while trying to do it. Any ideas on that? I am terrified to take him anywhere to get it done at a groomers. I have seen how several different groomers clipped my bosses dogs nails and they bled. And they were both pretty calm dogs! I'm afraid he will have a heart attack or start wheezing or they will be "rough" with him. Id rather do it myself. Last question . My boy has a nice bed in the living room he will sleep in during the day. But most nights he will just come sleep on my bed or on the floor near ny bed. I just bought him a new bed for up in my room, I'm afraid he's going to hurt his joints jumping on and off mine, as well as he sheds all over mine, and hogs it. New bed so excited he cant help himself he sits in it, lays in it rolls around in it. Then tries to chew the stuffing out like its a giant stuffed animal * which he cannot have, there isnt one strong enough for his powerful jaws* I have had to take the new bed away and stuff in my closet...he cries and barks at the door he wants it back BADLY! But it was too expensive to be exploded all over the room. Any ideas on that?.sorry so long... this is like introducing us and questions combined. I just dont know who else to ask but a bulldog forum lol. TIA.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN!

Neutering... not guarantee his personality will change, some do some donā€™t.

Nails... have you tired to use a Dremel and have a hand full of treats to occupy him. Two people, one dreamed and one treats in face. I use a groomer that only Dremel , no clippers.

Bedding.. you have to teach him not to chew, however some dogs just canā€™t have ā€˜stuffies ā€˜... my girl was like that, no matter what we did, she torn them up... but, she never chewed anything that was not hers, she knew the difference . Let him have it... only when supervised, and when he goes to chew.. tell him to leave it, and when he stops give him a treat. It will take a while to train him, but you can get there with time, consistency and patience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15206]Susan Alba[/MENTION] if heā€™s 5 now n you have no aggression except towards strangers/adults has nothing to do cause heā€™s not neutered. Thatā€™s MY opinion. I sure would leave him as is. Iā€™ve mentioned this a couple years ago about my white face one Duke, he has a vasectomy cause I wanted him to stay as is. Just canā€™t produce. My intention wasnā€™t to breed him anyway. A dog thatā€™s aggressive boils down to the owner. All about controlling your dog. He was a rescue so maybe something happened with adults but not kids. Can be anything as rescues usually comes with baggages. We donā€™t know. My GS as a pup 2x at 3 months n 6 months old was attacked by packs of dogs in dog parks. Throughout his adult life if he came near any size dog he would/could ripe them apart. He was castrated. Again, IMO Nothing to do with fix or not.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the advise above...

Here's our story... we had our Wally neutered because he became extremely aggressive towards the males in the house (hubby & son) and he did stop it. Some males have more than normal amounts of testosterone in their systems...

Shop around for groomers that are used to bulldogs... my groomer only uses a dremel on Wally, and he growls the entire time. He is a BIG baby, and it's over in a second.

Wally likes to destroy his bed too... but we put it in the living room during the day. When he starts to get crazy, we make his stop...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
BTW Been a year now Duke doesnā€™t like ā€œmale strangers adultsā€ either coming to the house. He confronts the stranger, stops in front of them n barks. He will stop only if I tell him ā€œitā€™s ok Dukeā€ n I pet him. Then heā€™ll be fine n ends up going towards the male species n investigates them by smelling him. If Iā€™m walking him he doesnā€™t do it only at the house. IMO, heā€™s doing his job and warning me.

Also bare in mind, testosterone is also produced elsewhere in the body, not only in the testicles.

Tuttly

Jun 16, 2019
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Tulamay
Take the new bed out of the house so he can't smell it. Put an old blanket or a bed like he uses in daytime in your room. As for nail clipping take him to a reputable vet and insist on watching the clipping. If the first one doesn't go well stop the clipping. You might try sanding the nails and use treats as a reward for good behavior. I think maybe you need to establish which one of you is the boss and which is the dog. Bulldogs may be aggressive at times as with strangers. You could get sued if he attacks. Put dog in a safe room with door closed before strangers come into your home. I would not take him outside for walks for the same reason. If he does bite someone you may have to part with him.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online