KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I've decided that I'm going to try to document Ollie's experience with TPLO (tibial-plateau leveling osteotomy) surgery. I'm pretty much having to learn everything on my own. Maybe some time down the road someone might find this useful. If it needs to be moved, feel free Moderator/s.

In the Beginning

Ollie's injured by another bully just over a month ago. To use the orthopedic surgeon's vernacular, Ollie was "pancake'd (splayed flat) during rough play. I immediately knew that he was injured. It was difficult to get the other dog off him. At first Ollie could not/would not stand. Eventually with help, he got up and limped into the house. He was taken to the vet the next morning and had an x-ray. It was not a great X-ray, but the vet suspected a pull to the cranial cruciate ligament, the canine version of the ACL in humans. We came home with Rimadyl, 50mg X 2 daily and crate confinement for a week. At his veterinary recheck at the end of the seven days, he was walking fine. The vet said not to let the recovery go to our heads, that the tendon was weak and would probably tear and we would need to see a veterinary orthopedic surgeon. Fast forward thirty days. Out of nowhere, Ollie was walking on 3 legs. He was holding his left hind leg straight, off the ground with his toe pointed like a toe dancer ballerina. Back to the vet. More Rimadyl. Referral to orthopedic surgeon. We had a consultation with the surgeon two days ago. He took some specialized X-rays.The ligament/tendon is fully torn. He checked Ollie's breathing capacity (for anesthesia) and said it was great for a bully. He was also very pleased at Ollie's weight and athletic build. All pluses from a surgeon's point of view.He originally scheduled the surgery for tomorrow (Thursday), but called back to reschedule it for Monday because upon further studies of the X-rays, he decided he needed more surgery time than he had in his schedule. So Monday it is. We are continuing the Rimadyl.

Random Thoughts In Bullet Points
  • I'm glad we have pet health insurance
fullsizeoutput_9f6.jpegfullsizeoutput_9f8.jpegfullsizeoutput_9f7.jpeg

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Following along...

GOOD LUCK, OLLIE!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Good luck, Ollie, and thanks for sharing! I learn do much everyday here on EBN and am very grateful that members share experiences and knowledge like this!

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
For what it's worth, Koozer had the TPLO surgery many years ago, and it was the best thing we ever did. The knee is still holding strong and he's (unfortunately) still hopping around the furniture like a sporty dog. Good luck. Oh, also, we opted to add stem cell therapy to his recovery and I think that made a difference.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
For what it's worth, Koozer had the TPLO surgery many years ago, and it was the best thing we ever did. The knee is still holding strong and he's (unfortunately) still hopping around the furniture like a sporty dog. Good luck. Oh, also, we opted to add stem cell therapy to his recovery and I think that made a difference.

What did the stem cell therapy do? No mention made of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great idea!! Thank you for documenting and sharing,

Best of luck Ollie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Following too!!
We send prayers and good luck on a speedy recovery.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Following as well... I'm SO sorry that this has happened. Wish only the best for you and Ollie...

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Some Collective Group Thoughts Needed
I need some group
synergy. When Ollie comes home from hospital, sooner or later, he's going to need to pee. He has never once lifted his leg. He squats. I don't think he can squat on 3 legs. If he tries, I don't think it will be a good thing. What do you think? How can I help him?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Some Collective Group Thoughts Needed
I need some group
synergy. When Ollie comes home from hospital, sooner or later, he's going to need to pee. He has never once lifted his leg. He squats. I don't think he can squat on 3 legs. If he tries, I don't think it will be a good thing. What do you think? How can I help him?

He will do just fine... they are amazing. My boy had this done and he squared for a poo without issue

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Get an old bath or beach towel. Cut it into four lengthwise strips. Use one of the strips like pictured. Keep strips around the house and in cars as needed.
Support one leg for peeing
8B09DCB7-5AE9-4C44-BA00-22EC2485C378.jpeg
Support two legs for pooping
7E74CC60-3080-458B-A10D-C614BBEDD18C.jpeg

Some dogs figure it out and some need help. How did he do it when he was initially injured, nearly lame?

ameliamont63

Nov 15, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sirius
My Minji will be having her TPLO surgery as well. I'm glad that I saw your post regarding your experience. At least I'm quite relieved that I know we can get through this together. I hope your Ollie is doing well now. Lots of love from me and my Minji!

-Amelia

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.