Can Bulldogs Live in Denver, Colorado with the High Altitude?

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello,

I was possibly thinking about moving to the Denver Colorado area. I have a five-year-old sweet baby English bulldog named Bella and she is pretty light for her breed as I know females can get up to 70 to 80 pounds. She is 50 pounds and I feed her Frommā€™s his regularly since she was a puppy and she has had limited health problems. My worry is the high altitude of the Denver Colorado Rockies and whether she could adjust. I obviously donā€™t want to take her to a place that she would struggle with coming from Indiana and getting used to the natural Indiana air all her life. I will be visiting Denver Colorado in a couple weeks to test it out on my own body as well but I believe that it is a possible place I could relocate to with my baby Bella. Any thoughts on this experience? Anybody in the Denver Colorado or Colorado area that live in the high altitude?? Just want to know if bulldogs are safe to live there so the move would be as smooth as possible for my baby girl in case I decide to move.

Thanks,
Bryan & Bella

Attachments

• 0AE3DCB4-9D17-4D0C-8DBF-A319850F4CE8.jpeg
    0AE3DCB4-9D17-4D0C-8DBF-A319850F4CE8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 819

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There are a few in in the Denver area... Nu and Jeannie come to mind, Iā€™ve tagged them for you.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We moved to Manitou Springs on Cameron's Cone (my house is at 8700') about three years ago. Curly has been thriving here since we moved. He is a larger EB, weighing in at 80lbs. He is originally a California dog, who moved to VA, and now CO. He was very much a "sea level" dog for the first 3 years of his life. In both CA and VA he has the worst tear stains and skin issues, now all of that has cleared up.

We were concerned about the lack of oxygen, but the body does adapt after about a month, so for the first month, we took it easy and only went on short walks. Now we have easily been going on 1 mile walks at 8700'.

So the altitude is fine for EBs, just give them some time to adjust...and for you, my best advice is to over hydrate about 2 weeks before you go to CO. Your body will dehydrate itself to accommodate for the lack of oxygen (pulling oxygen from H2O).

I posted a few pics too, so you can see how clear his skin is, my view from 8700' (cuz I had to). The one where his is laying on my other dog, you can kinda see how bad his tear stains were.

5d1322f00db6b02ec03cac2dd00cefb7.jpg
b43969745c0591680416e16a5e55309d.jpg
3aea6f11a1b0787757057c78070fd393.jpg
600894e214393b02fce528dcb720a7ca.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I should add that my husband is now stationed in Los Angeles again, but we decided for the dogs, for me to stay on the mountain with the dogs. Curly was diagnosed with Lymphoma not too long ago and as much as I wish he could hang out with his human (my husband), the fresh mountain air and our natural spring water is better for his overall health than smoggy LA.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Wow what a great view!!
Awesome photos!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello,

I was possibly thinking about moving to the Denver Colorado area. I have a five-year-old sweet baby English bulldog named Bella and she is pretty light for her breed as I know females can get up to 70 to 80 pounds. She is 50 pounds and I feed her Frommā€™s his regularly since she was a puppy and she has had limited health problems. My worry is the high altitude of the Denver Colorado Rockies and whether she could adjust. I obviously donā€™t want to take her to a place that she would struggle with coming from Indiana and getting used to the natural Indiana air all her life. I will be visiting Denver Colorado in a couple weeks to test it out on my own body as well but I believe that it is a possible place I could relocate to with my baby Bella. Any thoughts on this experience? Anybody in the Denver Colorado or Colorado area that live in the high altitude?? Just want to know if bulldogs are safe to live there so the move would be as smooth as possible for my baby girl in case I decide to move.ThanksBryan & Bella

Correction on my geography.....

I live above Colorado. Iā€™m just like an hourish from the Rockies. Alberta Canada. I bring my 2 for walks n hikes in the Rockies on regular basis. Alberta meets British Columbiaā€™s Mount Waddington which goes the Alaska. That mountain is 13,186 ft in altitude. You do have towns down below. So I sure wouldnā€™t worry about Bella. Btw, 50lbs is a perfect weight. Different sizes in all EB. Both of mine hovers between 45-50lbs. Winter they exercise less with all the snow/ice on sidewalks.

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you all very much for your input! This is exactly what I needed to hear. I really feel strong for a girl that Iā€™ve known for over 10 years. Iā€™m visiting in two weeks and I just want to make sure that if/when I decide to move down there Bella doesnā€™t have any issues. You guys answered my questions and I really appreciate all your feedback and input. Thank you so much for the compliments and positive feedbacks. Reason 1001 why I love this forum!! Your dogs are beautiful and I love the positive feedback. God bless and thank you all again!!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thank you all very much for your input! This is exactly what I needed to hear. I really feel strong for a girl that Iā€™ve known for over 10 years. Iā€™m visiting in two weeks and I just want to make sure that if/when I decide to move down there Bella doesnā€™t have any issues. You guys answered my questions and I really appreciate all your feedback and input. Thank you so much for the compliments and positive feedbacks. Reason 1001 why I love this forum!! Your dogs are beautiful and I love the positive feedback. God bless and thank you all again!!
We are rooting for ya!

Bella will def be fine. Denver is at ~5700' which is a lot lower than we are at and all 4 of my dogs (Frenchie/Boston, Boston/pug, Great Dane and EB) adapted quickly and well ... animals tend to adapt a lot easier that people.

One more note for you: higher altitude can make you feel drunk faster, so if you do drink, make sure you take it easy. I've had friends visit from Cali, who I wouldn't consider lightweights, and they were on the floor drunk after 3 beers.

Good luck!!

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
We moved to Manitou Springs on Cameron's Cone (my house is at 8700') about three years ago. Curly has been thriving here since we moved. He is a larger EB, weighing in at 80lbs. He is originally a California dog, who moved to VA, and now CO. He was very much a "sea level" dog for the first 3 years of his life. In both CA and VA he has the worst tear stains and skin issues, now all of that has cleared up.

We were concerned about the lack of oxygen, but the body does adapt after about a month, so for the first month, we took it easy and only went on short walks. Now we have easily been going on 1 mile walks at 8700'.

So the altitude is fine for EBs, just give them some time to adjust...and for you, my best advice is to over hydrate about 2 weeks before you go to CO. Your body will dehydrate itself to accommodate for the lack of oxygen (pulling oxygen from H2O).

I posted a few pics too, so you can see how clear his skin is, my view from 8700' (cuz I had to). The one where his is laying on my other dog, you can kinda see how bad his tear stains were.

5d1322f00db6b02ec03cac2dd00cefb7.jpg
b43969745c0591680416e16a5e55309d.jpg
3aea6f11a1b0787757057c78070fd393.jpg
600894e214393b02fce528dcb720a7ca.jpg

wow what a handsome boy! You guys do an amazing job with his wrinkles and tear stains!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
wow what a handsome boy! You guys do an amazing job with his wrinkles and tear stains!

FYI, regarding tear stains, if you keep them dry helps enormously but I will have to say, Duke never had tear stains cause he was on raw as a pup. He did have Acana in the beginning and did have some reddish markings but barely. I would use n still do wipe him with fragrance free baby wipes then immediately use a paper towel to absorb all. Check the photo. All about maintenance.

F420575E-6848-43BE-BFDC-57A7B17D6659.jpeg

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Honestly, it's the dry weather and lack of major allergens here in CO at 8700' that has helped with his wrikles and tear stains. Whenever we go back east/sea level where there are more allergens, his tear stains reappear.

In Colorado, we wipe down his wrinkles maybe once a month, if that and he hasnt had any issues.
61aff31c443bd04ee279a6282d0b0bac.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Honestly, it's the dry weather and lack of major allergens here in CO at 8700' that has helped with his wrikles and tear stains. Whenever we go back east/sea level where there are more allergens, his tear stains reappear.

In Colorado, we wipe down his wrinkles maybe once a month, if that and he hasnt had any issues.
61aff31c443bd04ee279a6282d0b0bac.jpg

Hello handsome... look at that smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.