Heartworm meds

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
Ok so I have the HARDEST time giving spike his heartworm/flea preventatives every month.. I've tried it all... In his food, cheese, dog meat, etc and he just won't take it. Any suggestions? Bc of his weight the pill is so darn huge it's like a horse pill and it doesn't smell so good either. Please help!!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have always heard velveeta cheese hides pill scents..I see you tried cheese..if not velveeta might be worth a try! I mean fish even like it!!

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
I always use pill pockets made by the greenies company they come in different sizes depending on the pill size, the only problem is the dogs want pills everyday just for the pockets. kinda expensive to use as daily treats, since mine think they need a treat because they are breathing and alive.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I always use pill pockets made by the greenies company they come in different sizes depending on the pill size, the only problem is the dogs want pills everyday just for the pockets. kinda expensive to use as daily treats, since mine think they need a treat because they are breathing and alive.

Lol..[MENTION=1950]goobers mom[/MENTION]..we used pill pockets for years with our rottie who took 8 pills..3x a day! She never missed a meal or a treat and loved pill pockets. My male..on the other hand..could smell a sneak a mile away..and just held the pill pocket in his mouth until it was so slimy it ruined the meds! Got so mad ..expensive to waste..went to velveeta..and Ana the rottie could care less! Mac..the aforementioned male..played games with that too!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Have you tried crumbling it up and putting in some yogurt or something? You just have to be careful that he eats ALL of whatever you hide it in. Maybe a meatball?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I recommend peanut butter. Bury the pill in the peanut butter on a spoon and place the scoop of peanut butter on the bully's tongue.

Linus is magician with pills and this works for me (and is much, much cheaper than Pill Pockets, although those are a great idea.)

OP
catorres8988

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
Like just
Plain peanut butter? And when u say yogurt like plain no flavor yogurt?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..always plain..nonfat yogurt..whenever you use it. I buy an organic brand..not too much tho! I have never tried hiding pills in it..but do use a teaspoon of it couple times a week as a probiotic.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Have you heard of the topical method?? It prevents fleas, ticks, and heartworms.

OP
catorres8988

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
No. Dr did mention there was an injection now for heartworm that was given every three Months but it doesn't cover everything like the pill does. I'll have to buy the plain peanut butter and plain nonfat yogurt.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online