Picky and raw diet

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
I have a very picky eater. Every few weeks it seems that Finley's palate changes. He will eat well then stop until I change to another food brand. I am begining to wonder if I should transition him to a raw diet as he always gobbles up raw food toppers/mixers. Do you think this will help? Has anyone else had such an experience?

Lastly, if I make the transition, what is the best way to go about it. The raw food market is overwhelming.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
No matter what, you canā€™t go wrong with feeding a dog/cat raw. No transition needed but if you do have kibbles left, do one meal kibble n one raw till you run out of kibbles. Why waste. Duke eats anything n everything but Nyala is starting to pick n chose. First raw was turkey n beef. After 6months she didnā€™t want that anymore. Now itā€™s bison n beef. And yes raw needs to be balanced of organs n bones. She loves it. Dogs do get feds up of eating same thing. Like humans. You need to switch once in a while. You can order it online as [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] do n other members will tell you where to order. I only stick to meat n no veggies/fruits in the raw. To my eyes itā€™s simply used as a filler. Nothing wrong with it either. I like to have control of their veggies and fruits. But thatā€™s me. Hereā€™s the ratio that needs to be in a raw meal. One pound PER day per 50lb dog.

C469A772-D6E7-444E-8C52-F84405D8B6E8.jpeg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I buy from a place in the Poconos... it is BARF model, meaning it is meat, fruit, veggies. I did no transition.. and had no issues.

Most of Lambeau allergies under control and his SFA is gone. And the big winner No ear infections since switching to raw . Cheli doesnā€™t have any allergies, some runny eyes but nothing what Lambeau has... the raw gives him energy and keeps him lean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
@cbruggs, [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=12725]Dolly[/MENTION]s_owner, 2bullymama, Thank you
Iā€™ll do anything to get Finley to eat. Every 3-4 weeks like clockwork, he will simply stop eating.
He had pneumonia last week and had to be hospitalized and I just fell apart. So, boosting his immune system would be a great benefit.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
@cbruggs, [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=12725]Dolly[/MENTION]s_owner, 2bullymama, Thank you
Iā€™ll do anything to get Finley to eat. Every 3-4 weeks like clockwork, he will simply stop eating.
He had pneumonia last week and had to be hospitalized and I just fell apart. So, boosting his immune system would be a great benefit.

Heā€™s probably still on meds? Give him fermented sauerkraut or veggies to clean his gut. Or get him frozen raw tripe from your pet store. It will help enormously his immune system. He needs a good probiotic.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I buy from a place in the Poconos... it is BARF model, meaning it is meat, fruit, veggies. I did no transition.. and had no issues.

Most of Lambeau allergies under control and his SFA is gone. And the big winner No ear infections since switching to raw . Cheli doesnā€™t have any allergies, some runny eyes but nothing what Lambeau has... the raw gives him energy and keeps him lean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're lucky, my dog is on raw food and still gets ear infections, those only stopped when I started drenching her ears with EcoEars ear drops once a week. But I only use cetirizine antihistamine, have never had to use Apoquel or Cytopoint yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Heā€™s probably still on meds? Give him fermented sauerkraut or veggies to clean his gut. Or get him frozen raw tripe from your pet store. It will help enormously his immune system. He needs a good probiotic.

Agree, also milk kefir is a great probiotic if he doesn't get the runs from the lactose. Milk kefir has the most beneficial bacteria and yeast of any natural probiotic.

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
@heldonwheels, [MENTION=12725]Dolly[/MENTION]s_owner Yep still on meds
Finley is currently on Herbsmith but I will try tripe and kefir. He will not go near sauerkraut. LOL ��
We got to the vet for a follow-up tomorrow. Anticipating that we will leave on Zyrtec (cetirizine) or something similar.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online