Am I the only one with an energizer bunny for an English Bulldog???

stephw

May 14, 2019
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi!! I have a young male English bulldog, he will be 1 year old June 1st. This is my first bulldog and I did lots of research, (or I thought I did) before getting Duke. Everything I have read states these guys are basically couch potatoes.. Well my boy Duke is far from it! We go to the park almost daily and he would fetch for hours if I would let him! He runs and runs and runs some more chasing sticks that I throw for him and when we get home he follows me around with his favorite red squishy ball hitting me on my legs every chance he gets because he wants to play tug of war or he wants me to chase him around the house trying to take his ball from him.. This is favorite game LOL.. So, my question is should I be questioning his authenticity as a pure bred English Bulldog? I didn't adopt him, I purchased him and I'm sure you all are very aware of how expensive these dogs are, at this point that really doesn't matter because he is the love of my life. However, it would make me definitely feel better if there are others out there with overly energetic bulldogs, I wouldn't feel as though I had been taken advantage of.

Thanks so much for any input!! :D

nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
My boy Nacho is exactly the same way! Lol... we would be at the park ALL DAY if it was up to him! But both your bully and mine are fairly young (mine is about to be 2) and the rumors you saw only are true, but they come with age. Since theyā€™re still young, they still have energy, they want to explore, play, run, etc. I was told that the energy dies down after they turn 3. I guess we will find out! One thing is for sure, as much as I want that couch potato already, when it comes, Iā€™m going to miss this energizer bunny! Lol

Also, did you get AKC paperwork to verify his purity? I have mines and heā€™s 100% EB. That can help you answer that question!:)

63b960f5446c3d37f7bc5b6a3057a02b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
This post made me laugh! You are not the only one with an Energizer Bunny. My Louie just turned 2 in February and that boy never stops. There as awhile where he would wake up at 5 am on the weekends and go go go until he passed out around 3 pm. He now does take some day naps but he could play like no one's business. It's actually hard finding other bulldogs that can keep up with him. Right now I am watching his brother for a few days and the two of them together are a force! Lazy bulldogs are a big misconception...they are not all couch potatoes. I actually have to feed Louie more than other bulldogs get because he is so active and burns through calories.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] is gonna love this thread... lol. Duke!
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] .. Lala fit this description?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Oh yeah. Sheā€™s 4 now and settling down a bit. OTOH, MINI is still wide open. Iā€™m in no hurry for it to stop...itā€™s funny and keeps us amused.

handsomedan

Apr 2, 2018
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dan and Auggie
We call our Auggie an Energizer bunny too! He's staring at me waiting for me to throw his ball as I type this! He's only about two years old so we're assuming he'll chill out as he gets older, but it's nice to know he's not the only one!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
It would make me definitely feel better if there are others out there with overly energetic bulldogs???
[MENTION=19020]stephw[/MENTION] must be the name DUKE!! As most knows here my Duke (white face) I call him the flying torpedo. If I was awake 24/7, I guarantee you heā€™ll be there to. Both of my dogs are extremely over active. Nyala my brindle moves just as much as him. But Duke will jump a good 3times higher than Nyala. This winter, I was walking down towards the end of the backyard. Both were behind me following. I absolutely have no clue what Nyala n Duke weā€™re doing but out of nowhere, all I saw corner of my eye is Duke flying pass my elbow n did a rolly polly n landed in front of me. What happened behind me...I just donā€™t know.

Vanillagurilla

Jan 11, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Remington and Ruger
My boy will be 1 June 3rd lol he will go and go and go if he has the opportunity. I have a 2 year old, olde English and she gets irritated at times and wants in the kennel to escape for a bit but she usually starts him up and then wants to hide.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
our thoughts exactly.we have a 9 week old and boy around 8pm she turns into cujo!

Lol... bedtime zoomies!!

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
My Porkchop was an active little guy too. Rolling down hills, chasing kids at the park, and lots of helicopter jumps turning in mid-air. I wish I had stopped his leaping behavior as the vet said it led to the development of spinal bone spurs. That has now affected his rear leg movement and he canā€™t go for short walks anymore. The bone spurs cause a neurological issue in the spinal cord. One rear leg now ā€˜rollsā€™ instead of moving correctly. It became noticeable when he was about 5 yrs old. The vet also said letting him jump off the bed put too much of a jarring effect on that stocky front end and contributed to his ailment. He did start moving with more ease after being placed on Carprofen and 3 months ago, on CBD oil. Instead of walks, I now put him in his stroller so he can still visit with neighbors and have some stimulation. My laymanā€™s suggestion to you is donā€™t let him become a bouncy boy, in case my vet is correct. (Sorry this is so long.)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My Porkchop was an active little guy too. Rolling down hills, chasing kids at the park, and lots of helicopter jumps turning in mid-air. I wish I had stopped his leaping behavior as the vet said it led to the development of spinal bone spurs. That has now affected his rear leg movement and he canā€™t go for short walks anymore. The bone spurs cause a neurological issue in the spinal cord. One rear leg now ā€˜rollsā€™ instead of moving correctly. It became noticeable when he was about 5 yrs old. The vet also said letting him jump off the bed put too much of a jarring effect on that stocky front end and contributed to his ailment. He did start moving with more ease after being placed on Carprofen and 3 months ago, on CBD oil. Instead of walks, I now put him in his stroller so he can still visit with neighbors and have some stimulation. My laymanā€™s suggestion to you is donā€™t let him become a bouncy boy, in case my vet is correct. (Sorry this is so long.)

True, but not much you can do if they are super active. You canā€™t stop them for the What if or For your own good type of issues. Like telling a toddler not to burn energy. It is what it is. Duke would be a concern but heh, I am not going to stop him from being active. You sure can do maintenance now to prevents future issues. Great oils in their food, essentials oils, feeding raw, long walks.....so much you can do for ā€œThe Ifā€™sā€

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
LMAO!!! love this... i think we are all there with you! we call Stella the gremlin when the night time zoomies hit!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
My Bella is NOT the lazy bulldog that I was taliā€™s she would be! She is 2 1/2. I cannot imagine her not being so active!
I guess only will tell!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.