Hyperkeratosis treatment!

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I recently posted that Porkchop had tough little "hairs" coming out of his paws. One member said it was hyperkeratosis. I took the suggestion to contact my vet. She said I didn't have to come in for an exam if I wanted to try an inexpensive product first. (Which is great because I'm short on money). I ordered a tube of Solva-Ker from Amazon. Porkchop soaked his feet in the tub for 5 minutes, dried off most of the water, and applied the gel. Day 2-Foot soak, dry feet, apply gel. On Day 3, I noticed after the foot soak, those "hairs" were no longer hard but soft. While he was laying down, I trimmed them down with some small scissors, and applied more gel. As he walks on the carpet, I see little black fragments coming off. I also use the gel sparingly. A little dab will do ya. The instructions do say "hydrate" the area before applying, hence the foot soak. I'm really impressed. These things were growing so much that his feet were off-stance (if that's a word). He doesn't walk on rough surfaces anymore to that is likely why this condition started. I might start taking him for walks up at the strip mall for people fixes and some concrete. Nevertheless, this product works!

I read on the website that some folks use this on their dog's noses because that's a hyperkeratosis area as well. The tongues can't get up high enough to exfoliate the nose. The complaint was that the noses get pink and seem sore. Considering this gel contains salicylic acid, same component to remove corns and calluses, I would do this with caution.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great news... never heard of the product and great to know it works. I agree on being cautious with use on nose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Great news!

Most Reactions