chris89topher

Aug 23, 2017
Chesapeake, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Hi,

For the past two weeks I've been taking my 5 year old Winnie for walks around the neighborhood early in the morning when it's cool. We're talking 5am early which means it's rough getting her started, lol. She starts off slow but picks up speed. We only go about 1/2 to 3/4 mile before she loses steam.

Yesterday I noticed she's limping on her left front paw. I don't see anything stuck in it or bumps. Could this be from too frequent walks? Or just a coincidence and maybe hurt it running up and down the stairs or something? I'll give her a few days of vacation from the walks but just curious if they're just not built for that daily exercise? It's new to her. Previously I didn't take her as often.

I told her there are easier ways to get more sleep in the mornings besides faking an injury. [emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hope Winnie soon feels better!

I have no experience of limps but walks per se should not cause injuries, and like all dogs, bulldogs need their walks for social interaction and to experience new scents, sounds, etc. I understand early mornings are not easy, though; Castor is like a teenager and can sleep until noon if we don't wake him up.

OP
chris89topher

chris89topher

Aug 23, 2017
Chesapeake, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
This is how she usually looks after a good walk. Like she's giving up on life for a few hours, haha! Then the super loud snoring begins....
6a9fdde63f41dc08f14e682ff713ef25.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is how she usually looks after a good walk. Like she's giving up on life for a few hours, haha! Then the super loud snoring begins....
6a9fdde63f41dc08f14e682ff713ef25.jpg

Lol... what did you do to her!! Lol

Try every other day and see how see does. Also, when you say 1/2 mile is that total walk?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This happens w/my Walter, and usually it means he's getting another interdigital cyst... it must start hurting before it finally pops out. I agree w/the gang about walking her every-other day or shortening your route.

OP
chris89topher

chris89topher

Aug 23, 2017
Chesapeake, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Lol... what did you do to her!! Lol

Try every other day and see how see does. Also, when you say 1/2 mile is that total walk?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, we've been doing about 3/4 of a mile around the neighborhood round trip. Any further and she becomes a boat anchor. There is a park with a lake that she likes to walk around which is 1.5 miles that she does very well with as long as we take breaks. That must be more exciting to her but it's not as convenient during the week. I gave her a sick day this morning but will try again tomorrow and then every other day for a while. I still don't see anything wrong with her paw so I'm not sure what it is. She doesn't appear to be doing it as much today though.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I agree with [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Duke gets indigital cyst between toes. We walk 3-5 km n when I see him limp on his walks definitely he has a IC. I now use Bag Balm, put a sock on n in a couple days it’s gone. Back to our walks.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If she is limping, let her rest a day or two, and give her a massage! Start out with walks again-but shorter to begin with. Check her foot/leg before going. Or, she may have just stepped on a stone,ouch!

Members online

No members online now.