paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop's paws look like they are miniature overgrown toenails. His back issues are such that he can't go for walks anymore so there is no rough surface to 'exfoliate' the paw pads. His left leg sort of twists when he walks also, which the vet attributes to neuro damage due to the bone spurs. In the attached photo, those yellowed things on his left rear paw are rather tough and minimally flexible. There are black ones on the pad to the left of the white pad. Here's my question-I've been putting cocoa butter lotion on them which softens them but they aren't coming off. They are getting thick and I think offsetting his foot placement more than the back issue. I've toyed with maybe holding him down and using nail clippers on them. He doesn't have these on his front feet but he paws at the carpet several times a day with the front feet. There is no sign of a yeast infection and his nails are trimmed. I thought maybe he's able to keep the front paws in shape by pawing. (He's tearing up the carpet though.) Any suggestions? Have any of you seen something like this?

Attachments

• Pork Paw.jpg
    Pork Paw.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 1,137

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
This might be hyperketosis or something like that. There might be an article on here somewhere but I’m not at a computer to search for it.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tawnys mom

Sep 11, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tawny
It believe it is Hyperkeratosis. Have you been to the vet? Can be caused by a few things like parasites, fungus, genetics, or not being able to absorb zinc properly. The vet will likely just trim all the excess skin off but you want to know why it’s happening. My frenchie has it on his nose.

Tawnys mom

Sep 11, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tawny
This might be hyperketosis or something like that. There might be an article on here somewhere but I’m not at a computer to search for it.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Lol you beat me to it!

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Pork has that on his nose as well. I put coconut oil on that and when he drags his nose on the carpet, little black balls come off. I will take your advice and make a vet visit. Thanks!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We see them occasionally on older dogs and trim them like you mentioned, with nail clippers...being very careful not to go too deep.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Punk has this on her front left paw - only on one toe. I take my pretty paws grinder and grind it down to where it feels more like her real paw. I do this each time I trim her nails. It doesn't hurt her - she would jerk her paw back if it did. I do not go too deep with it, just to where it feels less rough.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep... gang has you covered. Banks has this on her nose and back paws. I used to wipe with warm water , trim, and then rub in mushers secret

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online