Lola's rear end is clunking

LolaLouise

Feb 13, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Louise
Lola is 9 months old and I started to hear clunking or knuckle cracking type noises coming from her rear end when she walks.
Her legs must not be in her hip sockets right or something, because I can also set my hand on her hind end and feel the clicking when she walks.
You can feel and hear the slight click on each side as she steps forward.
She is very active and acts like everything is normal, but this can't be normal and will obviously get worse as time goes.

I made appointment with the vet for x-rays, but have any of you heard of this happening before ?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
yep...
I would not be in too big of a hurry to do anything drastic until she's done growing...unless she's in PAIN. FHO surgery may be in your future, maybe not. See what the X-rays show and go from there.
Nearly every Bulldog we've had X-rayed showed some measure of hip dysplasia. Most do not end up needing surgery.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Lola is 9 months old and I started to hear clunking or knuckle cracking type noises coming from her rear end when she walks.
Her legs must not be in her hip sockets right or something, because I can also set my hand on her hind end and feel the clicking when she walks.
You can feel and hear the slight click on each side as she steps forward.
She is very active and acts like everything is normal, but this can't be normal and will obviously get worse as time goes.

I made appointment with the vet for x-rays, but have any of you heard of this happening before ?

Also to add to Chipā€™s comment.....If sheā€™s not spayed, keep her that way till ā€œifā€ hip dysplasia occurs. Donā€™t rush to get her spayed... Just a thought.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can start giving a joint supplement to help .... we use Movoflex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I remember one of mine had "popping" hips when she was less than a year. Movoflex is a great idea, and mine grew out of it, and didn't have any problems(yet) and she is 5 years old.

OP
LolaLouise

LolaLouise

Feb 13, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Louise
Also to add to Chipā€™s comment.....If sheā€™s not spayed, keep her that way till ā€œifā€ hip dysplasia occurs. Donā€™t rush to get her spayed... Just a thought.

Why is this ? to avoid too many surgeries ?
She was actually supposed to get spayed a few weeks ago but she went into heat a few days before the appointment.
She was also to get her nasal airways done at the same time so she could breath better.
We rescheduled all this for June.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will start her on movoflex or similar supplement.
This popping drives me crazy, I cant understand how or what is making this bone to bone noise in her rear legs when she walks.
I hope she grows out of it like some of yours have.
I don't know why her femor ball's can't just fit in the hip sockets like normal. (I'm assuming this is the bone clicking I hear)
anyway's got a appointment for the xray's so, first things first.

I googled FHO surgery and thats crazy, how in the heck can a dog run around with their femor ball's cut off and not in a hip socket ??? Those xrays and pictures are scary !

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Why is this ? to avoid too many surgeries ?
She was actually supposed to get spayed a few weeks ago but she went into heat a few days before the appointment.
She was also to get her nasal airways done at the same time so she could breath better.
We rescheduled all this for June.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will start her on movoflex or similar supplement.
This popping drives me crazy, I cant understand how or what is making this bone to bone noise in her rear legs when she walks.
I hope she grows out of it like some of yours have.
I don't know why her femor ball's can't just fit in the hip sockets like normal. (I'm assuming this is the bone clicking I hear)
anyway's got a appointment for the xray's so, first things first.

I googled FHO surgery and thats crazy, how in the heck can a dog run around with their femor ball's cut off and not in a hip socket ??? Those xrays and pictures are scary !

Iā€™m ONLY on about spaying, not about your other surgeries.

Hereā€™s a link about spaying or neutering...Dana Scott is very on the holistic side. She explains it in a nutshell.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/new-study-neuter-risk-hip-dysplasia-dogs/

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

English bulldogs are big dogs, so their growth plates are not all fused till 18 months of age, although many of them are fused at 12 months. If you spay her, the hormones that support bone growth are no longer released. 12 months seems to be about the sweet spot for preventing hip dysplasia and cancers.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
English bulldogs are big dogs, so their growth plates are not all fused till 18 months of age, although many of them are fused at 12 months. If you spay her, the hormones that support bone growth are no longer released. 12 months seems to be about the sweet spot for preventing hip dysplasia and cancers.

Other supplements you can give include turmeric with pepper, Actiflex 4000, and even Adequan injections when she's a bit older.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
The muscle supports the femur and with most of the Bulldogā€™s weight being over the front legs the surgery is HIGHLY recommended for Bulldogs. Some other breeds do not respond as well. Weā€™ve done quite a few FHOs and all have been successful. Our Zoey had bilateral FHO 5+ years ago. Prior to surgery she was lame. Within 48 hours she was walking. In 1 month she could run. To this day sheā€™s as mobile as any of our guys...well, maybe not as fast as Lala.
This surgery is not recommended for mild cases of dysplasia...only moderate to severe.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] n [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] said it all.

Nice to see you D.O. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.