Whining, Moaning and Complaining

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I feel defeated. We had to go to Orlando to take care of some family business. We went up Weds. and got a hotel in Winter Park, the lovely step back in time 1920 Park Plaza Hotel. That's the only good part of this story.

I have a heavy cold. So anyway, we had some time to kill. I decided we should take the boat ride through the canals by Rollins College. We have Ollie, because hey, he's my Service Dog now. I am spending 1.5K on his specialized training. He has his vest. He is on a special leash that goes around my waist because I can''t use my hands. He wears saddle bags. It's all very ugly and very obvious. He has a letter from my doctor. I have versed myself in ADA FEDERAL laws.

So we stand in line to get tickets. Ollie is glued to my side as he ia trained to do. When I stop, he sits, as he is trained to do. We finally move up to ticket window. I kneel down and get in Ollie's bag to get my credit card. I stand up (people behind me) and say 2 tickets please."" The man says, "You can't take that dog." I point out the obvious, "He's my Service dog." The guy says, "Everybody says that. The owner says no dogs." I say, "I'm not those people. I don't have to do this, but do you want to see the letter I have from my doctor?" He says "No." He says, "what's wrong with you?' I say, "Under Federal Americans with Disabilities Law, I don't have to tell you that." anyway, to cut to the chase, instead of holding everyone up any longer, I said, "Tell your owner, I am filing a complaint with The Justice Department, ADA Compliance Division. He'll be hearing from them." Then he let us buy tickets. I really no longer even wanted to go on the damn boat, but it had become so much bigger than just a boat ride. After the boat ride, back at the hotel, I cried. What a Wuss.

The next day, we have to go to an Orange County government office. Everyone is behind glass with speaker things. This officious person behind the glass call us over and it's the same deal. I go through the same song and dance except I add, "you're a government entity, you of all people should be trained in ADA Compliance. I want to see your supervisor." She leaves, comes back and says, "The supervisor says you can have the dog." I lost it. I said, "NO! Federal law says I can have this dog, not your supervisor." I mean she came to a gun fight armed with a knife. Ollie and I sat down.

I don't want to be disabled. I'd rather be dead. I struggle every day. I can't dress myself, I'm having more and more trouble feeding myself. I only have the use of one finger. I can't pull down my own pants to take a pee. My husband is 82. He isn't going to live forever. I need this dog to fetch and carry for me. I should not have to beg or call attention to myself in public.

I wonder if part of the problem is because Ollie is a bulldog, shortish, chubbyish, smoosh faceish and doesnā€™t fit peopleā€™s preconceived notion of like a Golden Retriever or Lab leading a sight impaired person. Not sure I fit peopleā€™s preconceived notion of disabled, no wheelchair, no obvious disability until I try to use my arms or hands. Iā€™m so proud of Ollie for breaking the stereotype of Service Dog.
Sometimes life is hard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So sorry you had to deal with this. I think one of the problems is that people can get a ā€œservice dogā€ certificate online nowadays and itā€™s getting abused and people are bringing their dogs everywhere that havenā€™t even actually been trained like Ollie has. People are a**h*les.

Just keep doing what youā€™re doing!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
People suck!! And as Citty stated.. people are abusing this and causing problems for those who really need this assistance.

Stay strong and try not to give in to their ignorance

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Well done; educating the ignorant is the only way to go, and Ollie and you set a beautiful example. I don't usually suggest people go to the press or TV to tell their story, but your experience points to some central issues in the way disabled (and other marginalised groups in society) are met.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well done; educating the ignorant is the only way to go, and Ollie and you set a beautiful example. I don't usually suggest people go to the press or TV to tell their story, but your experience points to some central issues in the way disabled (and other marginalised groups in society) are met.

Excellent suggestion!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I cannot imagine your frustration. People can be such ignorant jerks and I am so sorry you had to deal with them. I think you may be right about a bulldog as a service dog but it shouldn't matter at all what type of dog it is. As others said, it is people abusing the system that are too blame, support peacocks etc. Well done Ollie for being such a good boy for you.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My gut says more itā€™s because you never see EB as service dogs. Well I know I never did. We are use to seeing the same breeds like the ones you mentioned. Isnā€™t there some sort of paperwork thatā€™s federal approved n stamped to say Ollie is a service dog you can carry with you? Youā€™ll avoid a lot of ignorant people in life.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I know your pain. I used a shih tzu and i had people waving their hands in my face to see if i was REALLY BLIND!! I would do my best to educate but i did carry a card from the county with her picture on one side and mine on the other that made us "legal" in the eyes of businesses. Made it so much easier for ME as my disability was invisible and ohhhhhh how people can give opnions!! It's hard but hang in there, you'll get used to the hard part and just breeze through. It IS hard that people are getting vests and cards on line messing it up for those of us who are ligit. My girl was amazing and i would have lost years of life without her. She was a poster child for service dogs ;) but a shih tzu lol Anyway, hang in there, you'll get used to it really. Im sorry you need him, but God bless you connection with this boy to get you through...

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh, what a shame! Iā€™m so sorry you were treated this way! Ignorant, ugly people.
I cant see how general trend of people misusing service dogs can justify their stupid behaviour. First, not always you can see disability from outside. Second, if someone has a falsely arranged service dog papers, you still have to provide them required access, you are not qualified to decide if someone has real papers and real need for service dog or not. Why even to bother?! Risking to offend an honest person like you, a person who is in dire straights already.
Just MEAN people exercising their petty authority. Disgusting!

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
You are an awesome lady. Actually getting a bullie to do what Ollie does is a feat in itself. You have every right to feel the way you do. You are remarkable. :assurred:

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
My gut says more itā€™s because you never see EB as service dogs. Well I know I never did. We are use to seeing the same breeds like the ones you mentioned. Isnā€™t there some sort of paperwork thatā€™s federal approved n stamped to say Ollie is a service dog you can carry with you? Youā€™ll avoid a lot of ignorant people in life.

There is no govt licensure either in US or CA. The Canadian and US statues are almost exactly the same. Ollie does carry a statement from my doctor stating that I have a disability that requires his services. I am not required to show it and no one is allowed to ask for such a document. I offer it as a courtesy. The dogs with the I D cards are the fake internet service dogs.
Iā€™ve linked the US federal law. I also have cards with the statues on them that I can hand out to stores, hotels, restaurants.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
People are idiots and you are an absolute trooper! Please donā€™t let the ignorant section of the public upset set you, what you are achieving with Ollie is quite frankly a bulldog miracle :) keep going YOU ARE RIGHT they are not.

Do you use twitter or YouTube or instagram? I think a character like Ollie with his saddle bags and vest on and his/your back story would create a lot of interest on any of these platforms and maybe give you a more public space to get your points across.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
People are idiots and you are an absolute trooper! Please donā€™t let the ignorant section of the public upset set you, what you are achieving with Ollie is quite frankly a bulldog miracle :) keep going YOU ARE RIGHT they are not.

Do you use twitter or YouTube or instagram? I think a character like Ollie with his saddle bags and vest on and his/your back story would create a lot of interest on any of these platforms and maybe give you a more public space to get your points across.

Another EXCELLENT idea!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
As sharp as you are, I have a feeling that you EXPECTED this to happen at one time or another...but maybe not to this degree. Twice in two days? People are ignorant and, frankly, mean as hell sometimes. You just keep on doing what you need to do and don't let ignorant eh-holz change a thing about how you do it...Ollie too. +

Here is a good Q&A...for everyone that has not read up. It's interesting and informative.

COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT
SERVICE ANIMALS IN PLACES OF BUSINESS

1. Q: What are the laws that apply to my business?

A: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), privately owned businesses that serve the public, such as restaurants, hotels, retail stores, taxicabs, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities, are prohibited from discriminating against individuals with disabilities. The ADA requires these businesses to allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto business premises in whatever areas customers are generally allowed.

2. Q: What is a service animal?

A: The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government.
Service animals perform some of the functions and tasks that the individual with a disability cannot perform for him or herself. Guide dogs are one type of service animal, used by some individuals who are blind. This is the type of service animal with which most people are familiar. But there are service animals that assist persons with other kinds of disabilities in their day-to-day activities. Some examples include:
_ Alerting persons with hearing impairments to sounds.

_ Pulling wheelchairs or carrying and picking up things for persons with mobility impairments.

_ Assisting persons with mobility impairments with balance.

A service animal is not a pet.

3. Q: How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

A: Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.

4. Q: What must I do when an individual with a service animal comes to my business?

A: The service animal must be permitted to accompany the individual with a disability to all areas of the facility where customers are normally allowed to go. An individual with a service animal may not be segregated from other customers.

5. Q: I have always had a clearly posted "no pets" policy at my establishment. Do I still have to allow service animals in?

A: Yes. A service animal is not a pet. The ADA requires you to modify your "no pets" policy to allow the use of a service animal by a person with a disability. This does not mean you must abandon your "no pets" policy altogether but simply that you must make an exception to your general rule for service animals.

6. Q: My county health department has told me that only a guide dog has to be admitted. If I follow those regulations, am I violating the ADA?

A: Yes, if you refuse to admit any other type of service animal on the basis of local health department regulations or other state or local laws. The ADA provides greater protection for individuals with disabilities and so it takes priority over the local or state laws or regulations.

7. Q: Can I charge a maintenance or cleaning fee for customers who bring service animals into my business?

A: No. Neither a deposit nor a surcharge may be imposed on an individual with a disability as a condition to allowing a service animal to accompany the individual with a disability, even if deposits are routinely required for pets. However, a public accommodation may charge its customers with disabilities if a service animal causes damage so long as it is the regular practice of the entity to charge non-disabled customers for the same types of damages. For example, a hotel can charge a guest with a disability for the cost of repairing or cleaning furniture damaged by a service animal if it is the hotel's policy to charge when non-disabled guests cause such damage.

8. Q: I operate a private taxicab and I don't want animals in my taxi; they smell, shed hair and sometimes have "accidents." Am I violating the ADA if I refuse to pick up someone with a service animal?

A: Yes. Taxicab companies may not refuse to provide services to individuals with disabilities. Private taxicab companies are also prohibited from charging higher fares or fees for transporting individuals with disabilities and their service animals than they charge to other persons for the same or equivalent service.

9. Q: Am I responsible for the animal while the person with a disability is in my business?

A: No. The care or supervision of a service animal is solely the responsibility of his or her owner. You are not required to provide care or food or a special location for the animal.

10. Q: What if a service animal barks or growls at other people, or otherwise acts out of control?

A: You may exclude any animal, including a service animal, from your facility when that animal's behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. For example, any service animal that displays vicious behavior towards other guests or customers may be excluded. You may not make assumptions, however, about how a particular animal is likely to behave based on your past experience with other animals. Each situation must be considered individually.
Although a public accommodation may exclude any service animal that is out of control, it should give the individual with a disability who uses the service animal the option of continuing to enjoy its goods and services without having the service animal on the premises.

11. Q: Can I exclude an animal that doesn't really seem dangerous but is disruptive to my business?

A: There may be a few circumstances when a public accommodation is not required to accommodate a service animal--that is, when doing so would result in a fundamental alteration to the nature of the business. Generally, this is not likely to occur in restaurants, hotels, retail stores, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities. But when it does, for example, when a dog barks during a movie, the animal can be excluded.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
As sharp as you are, I have a feeling that you EXPECTED this to happen at one time or another...but maybe not to this degree. Twice in two days? People are ignorant and, frankly, mean as hell sometimes. You just keep on doing what you need to do and don't let ignorant eh-holz change a thing about how you do it...Ollie too. +

Here is a good Q&A...for everyone that has not read up. It's interesting and informative.

COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT
SERVICE ANIMALS IN PLACES OF BUSINESS

1. Q: What are the laws that apply to my business?

A: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), privately owned businesses that serve the public, such as restaurants, hotels, retail stores, taxicabs, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities, are prohibited from discriminating against individuals with disabilities. The ADA requires these businesses to allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto business premises in whatever areas customers are generally allowed.

2. Q: What is a service animal?

A: The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government.
Service animals perform some of the functions and tasks that the individual with a disability cannot perform for him or herself. Guide dogs are one type of service animal, used by some individuals who are blind. This is the type of service animal with which most people are familiar. But there are service animals that assist persons with other kinds of disabilities in their day-to-day activities. Some examples include:
_ Alerting persons with hearing impairments to sounds.

_ Pulling wheelchairs or carrying and picking up things for persons with mobility impairments.

_ Assisting persons with mobility impairments with balance.

A service animal is not a pet.

3. Q: How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

A: Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.

4. Q: What must I do when an individual with a service animal comes to my business?

A: The service animal must be permitted to accompany the individual with a disability to all areas of the facility where customers are normally allowed to go. An individual with a service animal may not be segregated from other customers.

5. Q: I have always had a clearly posted "no pets" policy at my establishment. Do I still have to allow service animals in?

A: Yes. A service animal is not a pet. The ADA requires you to modify your "no pets" policy to allow the use of a service animal by a person with a disability. This does not mean you must abandon your "no pets" policy altogether but simply that you must make an exception to your general rule for service animals.

6. Q: My county health department has told me that only a guide dog has to be admitted. If I follow those regulations, am I violating the ADA?

A: Yes, if you refuse to admit any other type of service animal on the basis of local health department regulations or other state or local laws. The ADA provides greater protection for individuals with disabilities and so it takes priority over the local or state laws or regulations.

7. Q: Can I charge a maintenance or cleaning fee for customers who bring service animals into my business?

A: No. Neither a deposit nor a surcharge may be imposed on an individual with a disability as a condition to allowing a service animal to accompany the individual with a disability, even if deposits are routinely required for pets. However, a public accommodation may charge its customers with disabilities if a service animal causes damage so long as it is the regular practice of the entity to charge non-disabled customers for the same types of damages. For example, a hotel can charge a guest with a disability for the cost of repairing or cleaning furniture damaged by a service animal if it is the hotel's policy to charge when non-disabled guests cause such damage.

8. Q: I operate a private taxicab and I don't want animals in my taxi; they smell, shed hair and sometimes have "accidents." Am I violating the ADA if I refuse to pick up someone with a service animal?

A: Yes. Taxicab companies may not refuse to provide services to individuals with disabilities. Private taxicab companies are also prohibited from charging higher fares or fees for transporting individuals with disabilities and their service animals than they charge to other persons for the same or equivalent service.

9. Q: Am I responsible for the animal while the person with a disability is in my business?

A: No. The care or supervision of a service animal is solely the responsibility of his or her owner. You are not required to provide care or food or a special location for the animal.

10. Q: What if a service animal barks or growls at other people, or otherwise acts out of control?

A: You may exclude any animal, including a service animal, from your facility when that animal's behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. For example, any service animal that displays vicious behavior towards other guests or customers may be excluded. You may not make assumptions, however, about how a particular animal is likely to behave based on your past experience with other animals. Each situation must be considered individually.
Although a public accommodation may exclude any service animal that is out of control, it should give the individual with a disability who uses the service animal the option of continuing to enjoy its goods and services without having the service animal on the premises.

11. Q: Can I exclude an animal that doesn't really seem dangerous but is disruptive to my business?

A: There may be a few circumstances when a public accommodation is not required to accommodate a service animal--that is, when doing so would result in a fundamental alteration to the nature of the business. Generally, this is not likely to occur in restaurants, hotels, retail stores, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities. But when it does, for example, when a dog barks during a movie, the animal can be excluded.

Thank you so much for sharing this. Itā€™s a very straightforward clarification of ADA rules and regulations.

Most Reactions

Members online