Thread: Puppy eats own poop

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Carmen
    Likes (Received)

Default Puppy eats own poop

Hello third time posting in probably 2 months. Another issue with Carmen. She keeps eating her stools. She is not hungry as I feed 1 cup 3 times a day of Acana Singles. It is getting REALLH annoying more annoying than anything else she is done because. 1 she smells horrible to poop I mean her breath is just straight up repulsive I can’t even get near it makes me want to puke. 2. I leave and come home to stools all over the place as she does not only poop but eats them and spreads stools through out the house. It’s annoying as I miss some stools and sometimes step on them and smear all over my carpet. I really do not know how to make her stop but it’s getting to a point where my wife wants to just keep her outside cause she does it all the time and she smells HORRIBLE and my house is now full of **** smears. Oh and also it’s hard to keep track of her bathroom times cause she’ll go and maybe eat the **** and now we do not know if she pooped or not or what’s up. So any recommendations is this normal behavior and I am going to have to pen her because me and my wife will no have **** stains and smears all over the place it really others me to have to do that but I have no option but I do wish she’d stop also I don’t think is something healthy. Any tips recommendations or explanation of maybe this is normal behavior but i would really appreciate the help it is getting really intense and annoying and like i said my wife does not want her inside anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

How old is she? You might just need to go back to potty training basics. A bulldog is not an outdoor dog, they should not live outside.

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Carmen
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    How old is she? You might just need to go back to potty training basics. A bulldog is not an outdoor dog, they should not live outside.

She’s actually really good she does not pee or poop inside just lately we have been leaving her in her own that’s when she does it. I’ve noticed also cause sometimes you can see stain on the floor but no poo so she ate them. Again only when we’re not home and is not being supervised she does that. With us around we take her out regularly and has accidents here and there but we see her have them as she is always around. Oh she’s 20 weeks

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EduDL91 View Post
    She’s actually really good she does not pee or poop inside just lately we have been leaving her in her own that’s when she does it. I’ve noticed also cause sometimes you can see stain on the floor but no poo so she ate them. Again only when we’re not home and is not being supervised she does that. With us around we take her out regularly and has accidents here and there but we see her have them as she is always around. Oh she’s 20 weeks

She’s still a baby so maybe confine her when she’s home alone.

6. Likes Lalaloopsie, sisters3, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Keep her confined when not supervised and make regular trips outside on a lead and have bags at the ready to pick up the poop. Some dogs just like the taste of poop...yuck!
    I’ve heard people suggest putting stuff in the food to make the poop taste bad...WUT???
    How does anything make poop taste bad?

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

8. Likes Lalaloopsie, Cbrugs, sisters3, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Remington and Ruger
    Likes (Received)

Normally they will go poop shortly after meal time. So after you feed her wait about 30 min then take her outside and do not let he come back in until she goes poop. I'd also recommend a kennel, my dogs dont mind the kennel and go in it all day. 2 puppies in 2 years and neither of them have went potty inside.

10. Likes Lalaloopsie, helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Oh shame! My condolences to you, it’s so difficult! One of my dogs in the past did this and I barely could stand it. So disgusting. You know, it could be that she is trying to cover her mistake, cleaning the poop, because she knows it is wrong to poop at home. I’m afraid you have no choice but to pen her.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

20 weeks old? She’s left alone with run of the house? Yikes! I think that’s a recipe for trouble. She’s way too young to be without 100% supervision. Have you crate trained at anytime? Imagine if instead of poop she digested something that could really harm her, you would never know.....eyes on her at all time and if you can’t in the crate she goes, for her safety and yours and your wife’s sanity. Back to basics before the problem gets worse. Hang in there, be persistent
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

13. Likes helsonwheels, Cbrugs, Manydogs liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I agree with previous answers - you will probably need to go back to basic training. For how long do you leave her? I understand you may not be able to stay at home all day, but perhaps it would help if someone was with her for a few days and oversaw her at all times, taking her out every two hours or so, and then you could make that three hours and then four hours. At 20 weeks, I don't think she should be left more than a few hours on her own and she should be taken out every 3-4 hours.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

15. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Great advice has been given... she is way too young to be free roaming the house ( no supervision). At 5 months old, can only hold it for about 4-5 hours and that is just a guideline.

Also, eating poo, you might be feeding too much or it is too rich for her so she still smell the ‘food’ not the poo...this happens and the dog thinks it is still her kibble. Then again, some dogs just do this for no reason and you just have to be sure to clean up immediately so they can’t get to it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

17. Likes sisters3, Manydogs liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post

Especially in Texas. The heat would kill her.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

19. Likes sisters3, 2BullyMama, Cbrugs liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Carmen
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies. Although all information was here already. She does not “free roam” the house she is just in the living room/dining room it is pretty small though it’s a small apartment. I have to make a correction she does eat her poops when we are around sometimes she goes again right after going outside so we miss it but just catch her later munching on her stools. I really do not know how to stop this is really getting out of hand and my apartment smells horrible not because of the poos itself but she actually REEKS with her breath it is REALLY REALLY bad I can smell her across the apartment again not that big but still think it’s ridiculous. My wife doesn’t even get near her anymore makes her want to puke. Carmen is really stinky and won’t stop I don’t know what to do. Thanks everybody for trying to help will update if there is a solution or what was done. thanks again have a good one

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads