Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Yes...too much food at 4 cups per day, IMO. Do not feed anything after 4-5pm if possible. Cut back to 3 cups total per day and if you want to put some food in the treat toy, take that out of the 3 cups per day ration.
As far as the meat tenderizer...
Accent is what we have used in the past. We would just sprinkle some on the food and let them eat it up. I would say 1/8 teaspoon or perhaps a little less is plenty. This is a temporary thing...use long enough to break the cycle of poop eating. If you do not see results from dosing the Accent within a few days then do not continue it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
To this day, I go outside every morning with them n stand in front of their potty pen. To fix that you need to go out there, stand there even if itā€™s takes long. We get -40s here in winter but Iā€™ll still get out there. When he was a pup, I redirect him back in the pen n tell him...Go Poop Dukie... repeat till he poops n praise him with...GO POOP DUKIE, GOOD POOP n pet him, scratching him on top of his hips which he loves. Eventually he got it. I would let him smell the poop BUT tell him NO, donā€™t touch and then pick it up. He sees me doing all this. But yes, you absolutely need to get out there n pick up to avoid him eating it. No reason for him to eat poop if someone is out there on a schedule picking it up. :)

Btw, 8:30pm is way too late to eat for a pup n expect miracles. Food should stop at 6ish in your case.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
And yes...feed at an earlier time for the evening meal! I feed my guys around 4 pm to avoid late night poops. Feeding less and feeding earlier will hopefully help with less poop and night poops.

Parsley is supposed to be good for breath but since the bad breath is due to eating poop, not really sure anything will actually help as long as the poop eating continues.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
And yes...feed at an earlier time for the evening meal! I feed my guys around 4 pm to avoid late night poops. Feeding less and feeding earlier will hopefully help with less poop and night poops.

Parsley is supposed to be good for breath but since the bad breath is due to eating poop, not really sure anything will actually help as long as the poop eating continues.

I too feed mine around @ 4:30

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
So 4 cups a day? Try going down to 3 cups. Howā€™s her weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iā€™m sorry I do actually feed 1 cup twice a day so 2 cups total plus the treat you and I measure so I do give her 2.25 cups a day not 4 she weighs 19lbs

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Iā€™m sorry I do actually feed 1 cup twice a day so 2 cups total plus the treat you and I measure so I do give her 2.25 cups a day not 4 she weighs 19lbs

Can you do earlier feedings? I do 5 Am and 5 PM

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
Can you do earlier feedings? I do 5 Am and 5 PM

I most definitely can I just kind of stretch them out a bit cause I kinda feel bad like I said I try 9am and then the latest is 8 sometimes 830 when weā€™re not home early but i could definitely try changing it like that

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Feeding earlier,adding some canned pumpkin(not pie mix) and taking her out during the night(trying the Adolph's) sounds like a plan. When mine were young, took them out 2 times during the night. Adopted a Belgian Malanois who ate his poop(think he was cleaning up,as he had been kept on a short chain) I used to smell his breath, then say "you ate poop!?,then brushed his teeth with toothpaste! He hated toothpaste! After a few times, he quit eating poop! Don't know if it would work with EBD, as they eat anything!! [MENTION=18899]EduDL91[/MENTION]

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
Feeding earlier,adding some canned pumpkin(not pie mix) and taking her out during the night(trying the Adolph's) sounds like a plan. When mine were young, took them out 2 times during the night. Adopted a Belgian Malanois who ate his poop(think he was cleaning up,as he had been kept on a short chain) I used to smell his breath, then say "you ate poop!?,then brushed his teeth with toothpaste! He hated toothpaste! After a few times, he quit eating poop! Don't know if it would work with EBD, as they eat anything!! [MENTION=18899]EduDL91[/MENTION]

I will be adding either pumpkin mix or meat tenderizer to see if that deters the behaviour Iā€™m just scared of giving her some toothpaste I donā€™t know how sheā€™s going to react.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Just toothpaste on a tooth brush-it probably won't work for her, 'cause she'd like it!!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
To this day, I go outside every morning with them n stand in front of their potty pen. To fix that you need to go out there, stand there even if itā€™s takes long. We get -40s here in winter but Iā€™ll still get out there. When he was a pup, I redirect him back in the pen n tell him...Go Poop Dukie... repeat till he poops n praise him with...GO POOP DUKIE, GOOD POOP n pet him, scratching him on top of his hips which he loves. Eventually he got it. I would let him smell the poop BUT tell him NO, donā€™t touch and then pick it up. He sees me doing all this. But yes, you absolutely need to get out there n pick up to avoid him eating it. No reason for him to eat poop if someone is out there on a schedule picking it up. :)

Btw, 8:30pm is way too late to eat for a pup n expect miracles. Food should stop at 6ish in your case.

How many times can I like this post?? 100,000 times would just about do it. SPOT ON Helene!!!

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen

We do do that, my wife comes home from lunch and takes her out if Iā€™m not home. Iā€™ve never been able to make her go even staying out there 30+ minutes. She either wants to go o or doesnā€™t, also she does not seem at all interested in eating turds outside, she does her business and moves on wonā€™t even smell other dogs poops. It really just seems to be inside and obviously when weā€™re not around at work/asleep. Iā€™ve gone since Friday feeding her early and I really feel bad just not feeding her from 5pm to 5am I feel itā€™s just too long specially since We have lunch around 4 and diner around 9-10 lol so maybe weā€™re making her hungry thatā€™s why she eats the turds at night I really donā€™t know why it is I have not tried meat tenderizer or pumpkin whatever will try out this week. But yeah I donā€™t have an issue whit her going or going outside just an issue with her pooping at night when we miss our alarm and eating her stools.

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Pebbles ate her poop and it drove us crazy. Pet store have the stuff to add to food to make it taste too bad to eat.

FWIW she grew out of it at about 1 yr old.

Like others stated, kennel her when not watching.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
We do do that, my wife comes home from lunch and takes her out if Iā€™m not home. Iā€™ve never been able to make her go even staying out there 30+ minutes. She either wants to go o or doesnā€™t, also she does not seem at all interested in eating turds outside, she does her business and moves on wonā€™t even smell other dogs poops. It really just seems to be inside and obviously when weā€™re not around at work/asleep. Iā€™ve gone since Friday feeding her early and I really feel bad just not feeding her from 5pm to 5am I feel itā€™s just too long specially since We have lunch around 4 and diner around 9-10 lol so maybe weā€™re making her hungry thatā€™s why she eats the turds at night I really donā€™t know why it is I have not tried meat tenderizer or pumpkin whatever will try out this week. But yeah I donā€™t have an issue whit her going or going outside just an issue with her pooping at night when we miss our alarm and eating her stools.

ā€œI really just seems to be inside and obviously when weā€™re not around at work/asleep.ā€

Sheā€™s probably bored.....Dogā€™s do eat poop if theyā€™re bored. You need 2 dogs. :)

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
Pebbles ate her poop and it drove us crazy. Pet store have the stuff to add to food to make it taste too bad to eat.

FWIW she grew out of it at about 1 yr old.

Like others stated, kennel her when not watching.

Hehe! She is actually penned not kenneled but the pen is pretty small basically 4ft*4ft. Will definitely try it Iā€™m los scared to give her just regular meat tenderizer or pumpkin stuff afraid it will upset her stomach or something, hopefully she grows out of it too!

Members online