Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Possible lack of minerals. Needs plenty of toys, and activity and attention.:play::walk::mansfriend:

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
What food are feeding brand/protein?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been feeding Acana Lamb and Apple, she seems to be doing a little better but still doing it once in a while. I do want to mention I did take her to the vet. Was told she is healthy and looking good does not have parasites nor deficiencies. She has been a little better since I have been back home almost all day and she has no accidents to munch on. She does do it at night which is actually another issue she have. She seems to poop 2 maybe maybe 3 times a day but up to 2-3 times each night consistently. I have tried altering feeding schedules but she seems to just do it at night. Another is that well her stools aren’t really firm to speak of. She has no consistency at all maybe 1 firm 2 slushy and maybe another firm and again slushy ones. And I don’t give her any other food nor treats that much to speak of. So I don’t know if maybe I should try another brand or just different type of protein. Also my wife plays with her fetch and tugowar but I can’t blame her for not getting her face up on Carmen’s mouth. Sorry if I did make it seem as she is just shoved in a corner not really. Just been struggling a lot with these issues which we can’t seem to find a reason and solution.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Unfortunately some dogs just do it without any obvious reason. I had a dog like this and I totally feel your pain...
6 poops a day is too much. Her food probably doesn’t suit her 100%.
My suggestions 1) add pumpkin purée (not pie filling), it helps to firm the poop
2) look into other food. Slushy poop means it comes out for some reason not fully digested, that means that there is quite some undigested food in poops, so one of ideas I’ve heard from vets about poop eating is that kibble is too rich in nutrients to digest for some dogs, they smell residual food smell from poop and they eat it. IDK if it’s the case, but may be if you find better food for her which will come out in firm turds, which means food underwent full transformation, may be she won’t be so attracted to it.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Acana is a great food but can be too rich for some puppies. Louie didn’t do well on it. However it could also be the protein or that you are feeding too much of it.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It is possible that you are feeding too much food? If following the directions on the bag, then you probably are. Her body can only adequately process but so much...more than that goes unprocessed and is passed out the tailpipe. To her, it still smells like food. Try dialing her food back a bit and cutting her evening meal more than her other meal(s).

Sadly, some dogs just like the taste and will always eat their stool. Getting them on a regular poop schedule as quickly as possible is very important. Once she starts holding her stool throughout the night you will be able to get control of this situation.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have been feeding Acana Lamb and Apple, she seems to be doing a little better but still doing it once in a while. I do want to mention I did take her to the vet. Was told she is healthy and looking good does not have parasites nor deficiencies. She has been a little better since I have been back home almost all day and she has no accidents to munch on. She does do it at night which is actually another issue she have. She seems to poop 2 maybe maybe 3 times a day but up to 2-3 times each night consistently. I have tried altering feeding schedules but she seems to just do it at night. Another is that well her stools aren’t really firm to speak of. She has no consistency at all maybe 1 firm 2 slushy and maybe another firm and again slushy ones. And I don’t give her any other food nor treats that much to speak of. So I don’t know if maybe I should try another brand or just different type of protein. Also my wife plays with her fetch and tugowar but I can’t blame her for not getting her face up on Carmen’s mouth. Sorry if I did make it seem as she is just shoved in a corner not really. Just been struggling a lot with these issues which we can’t seem to find a reason and solution.

As the gang mentioned.. this is a great food but the amount could be an issue.

How much do you feed at each meal and how many meals?

This article has a good chart as a guideline for feeding high quality kibble. The bag guidelines usually are too high (they want you to buy more).

English Bulldog News Forums - Why Does My Bulldog Puppy Have Diarrhea?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=18899]EduDL91[/MENTION] I’ve fed Nyala n Duke only with acana. Nyala never ate poop but Duke did since a pup. He’s now 2 n rarely eats poop. But I do keep an eye on him. Both are on 100% raw n no kibbles anymore. Duke will eat on very rare occasion Nyala’s poop n not his. This is the million dollar question. But one thing you need to do is your puppy needs a good clean gut. Start giving fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies to his meals. Acana has tripe in their kibbles but add a tad more with real food. This slimy issue will disappear. Also slimy poop can be a sign of stress. Duke went through that too. Nyala is rough with him.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/16-reasons-dogs-eat-poop-and-what-to-do-about-it/

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
As the gang mentioned.. this is a great food but the amount could be an issue.

How much do you feed at each meal and how many meals?

This article has a good chart as a guideline for feeding high quality kibble. The bag guidelines usually are too high (they want you to buy more).

English Bulldog News Forums - Why Does My Bulldog Puppy Have Diarrhea?

I’ve actually been feeding her the amount suggested on the article you just sent. Just by pure coincidence so maybe I should tone down a bit or try a different one because she does go slushy and makes sense she might be eating too much. Any suggestions on other brands other than Acana. Also any suggestions to make her breath less stinky? Carmen says hi
c980471fde378028a94c701c54529265.jpg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I’ve actually been feeding her the amount suggested on the article you just sent. Just by pure coincidence so maybe I should tone down a bit or try a different one because she does go slushy and makes sense she might be eating too much. Any suggestions on other brands other than Acana. Also any suggestions to make her breath less stinky? Carmen says hi

Fromm, Zignature and Earthborn Holistics are also good brands. You can definitely try feeding just a little less or try a different protein within Acana to see if that helps.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Carmen says hi

Geez and I thought Nyala was the only one with da look... lol. Carmen’s adorable!

Bad breath comes from the gut just like humans. Do add fermented food to her meals. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Try the Acana duck... lamb might be too much for her and add a probiotic, refrigerated sauerkraut, raw goats milk or milk keifer

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
Fromm, Zignature and Earthborn Holistics are also good brands. You can definitely try feeding just a little less or try a different protein within Acana to see if that helps.

Update: well I have been feeding considerably less and her stools look better but she still keeps on eating them and it’s repulsive really when I meant bad breath it was because of the poo eating it’s really annoying I can tell cause again here is a stain where she pooped but no poo. So again I don’t know weather it is the food or what is it but this poop eating is really annoying and disgusting. I really cannot take it. Oh and also again with her pooping at night twice and only 1 time during the day also pretty annoying I don’t know how to change that.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
At this point I’d try to figure out exactly when the pup is pooping and adjust my sleep time and the pup’s eating schedule in order to be able to clean up before the poop eating can happen. You and the wife can take turns getting up and taking her out at night for her business. This is a temporary situation as she will eventually sleep through the night without pooping. Do your best to get her on a schedule.
BTW, exactly how much are you feeding?
FWIW, our Vet said that meat tenderizer, according to patient feedback, was the best deterrent to poop eating. Not to say that it always works, but that it had the highest success rate.

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
At this point I’d try to figure out exactly when the pup is pooping and adjust my sleep time and the pup’s eating schedule in order to be able to clean up before the poop eating can happen. You and the wife can take turns getting up and taking her out at night for her business. This is a temporary situation as she will eventually sleep through the night without pooping. Do your best to get her on a schedule.
BTW, exactly how much are you feeding?
FWIW, our Vet said that meat tenderizer, according to patient feedback, was the best deterrent to poop eating. Not to say that it always works, but that it had the highest success rate.

Well we run a pretty tight schedule on her, at night it might be different as sometimes we don’t even hear my alarm like today. But we feed Acana Lamb and Apple formula. About 2 cups twice a day. Usually at around 8-830AM but not later nor earlier and then again at around 730-8PM, also sometimes I add about 1/4 of a cup to a toy that dispenses kibble and she loves it but not everyday. She really does no have a pooping schedule as I take her out at 9AM and every two hours after that. She pees every time we go outside but she poops only 1 time and it might be at any given time she does not poop at the same time really. And again goes twice maybe 3 times during the night. Last time we take her out will be between 12 and 1AM and she still won’t poop so her times are between 2AM and 6AM maybe which is the weird part like I said I’ve tried changing feeding schedules and it won’t do her any good she’s been pooping 2 sometimes 3 times every night for the past couple of months. What type of meat tenderizer just a regularMccormick one I am really scared to feed her additional stuff as even “highly quality” dog food seems to be making her go slushy and making her eat them as well.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Well we run a pretty tight schedule on her, at night it might be different as sometimes we don’t even hear my alarm like today. But we feed Acana Lamb and Apple formula. About 2 cups twice a day. Usually at around 8-830AM but not later nor earlier and then again at around 730-8PM, also sometimes I add about 1/4 of a cup to a toy that dispenses kibble and she loves it but not everyday. She really does no have a pooping schedule as I take her out at 9AM and every two hours after that. She pees every time we go outside but she poops only 1 time and it might be at any given time she does not poop at the same time really. And again goes twice maybe 3 times during the night. Last time we take her out will be between 12 and 1AM and she still won’t poop so her times are between 2AM and 6AM maybe which is the weird part like I said I’ve tried changing feeding schedules and it won’t do her any good she’s been pooping 2 sometimes 3 times every night for the past couple of months. What type of meat tenderizer just a regularMccormick one I am really scared to feed her additional stuff as even “highly quality” dog food seems to be making her go slushy and making her eat them as well.

So 4 cups a day? Try going down to 3 cups. How’s her weight?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.