Puppy eats own poop

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
Hello third time posting in probably 2 months. Another issue with Carmen. She keeps eating her stools. She is not hungry as I feed 1 cup 3 times a day of Acana Singles. It is getting REALLH annoying more annoying than anything else she is done because. 1 she smells horrible to poop I mean her breath is just straight up repulsive I canā€™t even get near it makes me want to puke. 2. I leave and come home to stools all over the place as she does not only poop but eats them and spreads stools through out the house. Itā€™s annoying as I miss some stools and sometimes step on them and smear all over my carpet. I really do not know how to make her stop but itā€™s getting to a point where my wife wants to just keep her outside cause she does it all the time and she smells HORRIBLE and my house is now full of **** smears. Oh and also itā€™s hard to keep track of her bathroom times cause sheā€™ll go and maybe eat the **** and now we do not know if she pooped or not or whatā€™s up. So any recommendations is this normal behavior and I am going to have to pen her because me and my wife will no have **** stains and smears all over the place it really others me to have to do that but I have no option but I do wish sheā€™d stop also I donā€™t think is something healthy. Any tips recommendations or explanation of maybe this is normal behavior but i would really appreciate the help it is getting really intense and annoying and like i said my wife does not want her inside anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
How old is she? You might just need to go back to potty training basics. A bulldog is not an outdoor dog, they should not live outside.

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
How old is she? You might just need to go back to potty training basics. A bulldog is not an outdoor dog, they should not live outside.

Sheā€™s actually really good she does not pee or poop inside just lately we have been leaving her in her own thatā€™s when she does it. Iā€™ve noticed also cause sometimes you can see stain on the floor but no poo so she ate them. Again only when weā€™re not home and is not being supervised she does that. With us around we take her out regularly and has accidents here and there but we see her have them as she is always around. Oh sheā€™s 20 weeks

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Sheā€™s actually really good she does not pee or poop inside just lately we have been leaving her in her own thatā€™s when she does it. Iā€™ve noticed also cause sometimes you can see stain on the floor but no poo so she ate them. Again only when weā€™re not home and is not being supervised she does that. With us around we take her out regularly and has accidents here and there but we see her have them as she is always around. Oh sheā€™s 20 weeks

Sheā€™s still a baby so maybe confine her when sheā€™s home alone.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Keep her confined when not supervised and make regular trips outside on a lead and have bags at the ready to pick up the poop. Some dogs just like the taste of poop...yuck!
Iā€™ve heard people suggest putting stuff in the food to make the poop taste bad...WUT???
How does anything make poop taste bad?

Vanillagurilla

Jan 11, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Remington and Ruger
Normally they will go poop shortly after meal time. So after you feed her wait about 30 min then take her outside and do not let he come back in until she goes poop. I'd also recommend a kennel, my dogs dont mind the kennel and go in it all day. 2 puppies in 2 years and neither of them have went potty inside.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh shame! My condolences to you, itā€™s so difficult! One of my dogs in the past did this and I barely could stand it. So disgusting. You know, it could be that she is trying to cover her mistake, cleaning the poop, because she knows it is wrong to poop at home. Iā€™m afraid you have no choice but to pen her.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
20 weeks old? Sheā€™s left alone with run of the house? Yikes! I think thatā€™s a recipe for trouble. Sheā€™s way too young to be without 100% supervision. Have you crate trained at anytime? Imagine if instead of poop she digested something that could really harm her, you would never know.....eyes on her at all time and if you canā€™t in the crate she goes, for her safety and yours and your wifeā€™s sanity. Back to basics before the problem gets worse. Hang in there, be persistent

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I agree with previous answers - you will probably need to go back to basic training. For how long do you leave her? I understand you may not be able to stay at home all day, but perhaps it would help if someone was with her for a few days and oversaw her at all times, taking her out every two hours or so, and then you could make that three hours and then four hours. At 20 weeks, I don't think she should be left more than a few hours on her own and she should be taken out every 3-4 hours.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice has been given... she is way too young to be free roaming the house ( no supervision). At 5 months old, can only hold it for about 4-5 hours and that is just a guideline.

Also, eating poo, you might be feeding too much or it is too rich for her so she still smell the ā€˜foodā€™ not the poo...this happens and the dog thinks it is still her kibble. Then again, some dogs just do this for no reason and you just have to be sure to clean up immediately so they canā€™t get to it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

Especially in Texas. The heat would kill her.

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
Thanks for the replies. Although all information was here already. She does not ā€œfree roamā€ the house she is just in the living room/dining room it is pretty small though itā€™s a small apartment. I have to make a correction she does eat her poops when we are around sometimes she goes again right after going outside so we miss it but just catch her later munching on her stools. I really do not know how to stop this is really getting out of hand and my apartment smells horrible not because of the poos itself but she actually REEKS with her breath it is REALLY REALLY bad I can smell her across the apartment again not that big but still think itā€™s ridiculous. My wife doesnā€™t even get near her anymore makes her want to puke. Carmen is really stinky and wonā€™t stop I donā€™t know what to do. Thanks everybody for trying to help will update if there is a solution or what was done. thanks again have a good one

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the replies. Although all information was here already. She does not ā€œfree roamā€ the house she is just in the living room/dining room it is pretty small though itā€™s a small apartment. I have to make a correction she does eat her poops when we are around sometimes she goes again right after going outside so we miss it but just catch her later munching on her stools. I really do not know how to stop this is really getting out of hand and my apartment smells horrible not because of the poos itself but she actually REEKS with her breath it is REALLY REALLY bad I can smell her across the apartment again not that big but still think itā€™s ridiculous. My wife doesnā€™t even get near her anymore makes her want to puke. Carmen is really stinky and wonā€™t stop I donā€™t know what to do. Thanks everybody for trying to help will update if there is a solution or what was done. thanks again have a good one

What food are feeding brand/protein?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

Although I understand this is an unpleasant situation, it does sound worrying that your wife doesn't go near the dog - we're talking about a young pup that needs affection to develop properly. I suggest you take Carmen to the vet to rule out any medical issue. I have looked through a few articles and they basically say the same thing: this is usually a puppy thing that dogs will grow out of; this can be related to stress, boredom or possibly owing to poor digestion or some medical issue (eg parasites or enzyme deficiency).

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Although I understand this is an unpleasant situation, it does sound worrying that your wife doesn't go near the dog - we're talking about a young pup that needs affection to develop properly. I suggest you take Carmen to the vet to rule out any medical issue. I have looked through a few articles and they basically say the same thing: this is usually a puppy thing that dogs will grow out of; this can be related to stress, boredom or possibly owing to poor digestion or some medical issue (eg parasites or enzyme deficiency).

Excellent point and catch!!! Socialization is critical at this age

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.