Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 52

Thread: Puppy eats own poop

  1. #13
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    43,766
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    15040

    Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

    Quote Originally Posted by EduDL91 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Although all information was here already. She does not ďfree roamĒ the house she is just in the living room/dining room it is pretty small though itís a small apartment. I have to make a correction she does eat her poops when we are around sometimes she goes again right after going outside so we miss it but just catch her later munching on her stools. I really do not know how to stop this is really getting out of hand and my apartment smells horrible not because of the poos itself but she actually REEKS with her breath it is REALLY REALLY bad I can smell her across the apartment again not that big but still think itís ridiculous. My wife doesnít even get near her anymore makes her want to puke. Carmen is really stinky and wonít stop I donít know what to do. Thanks everybody for trying to help will update if there is a solution or what was done. thanks again have a good one


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What food are feeding brand/protein?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  2. Likes EduDL91 liked this post
  3. #14
    Dog Show Judge cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,407
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2120

    Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

    Quote Originally Posted by EduDL91 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Although all information was here already. She does not ďfree roamĒ the house she is just in the living room/dining room it is pretty small though itís a small apartment. I have to make a correction she does eat her poops when we are around sometimes she goes again right after going outside so we miss it but just catch her later munching on her stools. I really do not know how to stop this is really getting out of hand and my apartment smells horrible not because of the poos itself but she actually REEKS with her breath it is REALLY REALLY bad I can smell her across the apartment again not that big but still think itís ridiculous. My wife doesnít even get near her anymore makes her want to puke. Carmen is really stinky and wonít stop I donít know what to do. Thanks everybody for trying to help will update if there is a solution or what was done. thanks again have a good one


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Although I understand this is an unpleasant situation, it does sound worrying that your wife doesn't go near the dog - we're talking about a young pup that needs affection to develop properly. I suggest you take Carmen to the vet to rule out any medical issue. I have looked through a few articles and they basically say the same thing: this is usually a puppy thing that dogs will grow out of; this can be related to stress, boredom or possibly owing to poor digestion or some medical issue (eg parasites or enzyme deficiency).


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  4. Likes 2BullyMama, Cbrugs, sisters3, EduDL91 liked this post
  5. #15
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    43,766
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    15040

    Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

    Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    Although I understand this is an unpleasant situation, it does sound worrying that your wife doesn't go near the dog - we're talking about a young pup that needs affection to develop properly. I suggest you take Carmen to the vet to rule out any medical issue. I have looked through a few articles and they basically say the same thing: this is usually a puppy thing that dogs will grow out of; this can be related to stress, boredom or possibly owing to poor digestion or some medical issue (eg parasites or enzyme deficiency).
    Excellent point and catch!!! Socialization is critical at this age


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  6. Likes Cbrugs, sisters3, EduDL91 liked this post
  7. #16
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    12,087
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    8842

    Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

    Possible lack of minerals. Needs plenty of toys, and activity and attention.
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  8. Likes sisters3, EduDL91 liked this post
  9. #17
    Potty Trainer
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    50
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Carmen
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    What food are feeding brand/protein?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have been feeding Acana Lamb and Apple, she seems to be doing a little better but still doing it once in a while. I do want to mention I did take her to the vet. Was told she is healthy and looking good does not have parasites nor deficiencies. She has been a little better since I have been back home almost all day and she has no accidents to munch on. She does do it at night which is actually another issue she have. She seems to poop 2 maybe maybe 3 times a day but up to 2-3 times each night consistently. I have tried altering feeding schedules but she seems to just do it at night. Another is that well her stools arenít really firm to speak of. She has no consistency at all maybe 1 firm 2 slushy and maybe another firm and again slushy ones. And I donít give her any other food nor treats that much to speak of. So I donít know if maybe I should try another brand or just different type of protein. Also my wife plays with her fetch and tugowar but I canít blame her for not getting her face up on Carmenís mouth. Sorry if I did make it seem as she is just shoved in a corner not really. Just been struggling a lot with these issues which we canít seem to find a reason and solution.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #18
    Rescue Volunteer Lalaloopsie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,507
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    2474

    Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

    Unfortunately some dogs just do it without any obvious reason. I had a dog like this and I totally feel your pain...
    6 poops a day is too much. Her food probably doesn’t suit her 100%.
    My suggestions 1) add pumpkin purťe (not pie filling), it helps to firm the poop
    2) look into other food. Slushy poop means it comes out for some reason not fully digested, that means that there is quite some undigested food in poops, so one of ideas I’ve heard from vets about poop eating is that kibble is too rich in nutrients to digest for some dogs, they smell residual food smell from poop and they eat it. IDK if it’s the case, but may be if you find better food for her which will come out in firm turds, which means food underwent full transformation, may be she won’t be so attracted to it.

  11. Likes 2BullyMama, EduDL91 liked this post
  12. #19
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,771
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    4793

    Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

    Acana is a great food but can be too rich for some puppies. Louie didnít do well on it. However it could also be the protein or that you are feeding too much of it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. Likes 2BullyMama, EduDL91 liked this post
  14. #20
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2,837
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    5948

    Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

    It is possible that you are feeding too much food? If following the directions on the bag, then you probably are. Her body can only adequately process but so much...more than that goes unprocessed and is passed out the tailpipe. To her, it still smells like food. Try dialing her food back a bit and cutting her evening meal more than her other meal(s).

    Sadly, some dogs just like the taste and will always eat their stool. Getting them on a regular poop schedule as quickly as possible is very important. Once she starts holding her stool throughout the night you will be able to get control of this situation.

    Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

  15. Likes Cbrugs, 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
  16. #21
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    43,766
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    15040

    Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

    Quote Originally Posted by EduDL91 View Post
    I have been feeding Acana Lamb and Apple, she seems to be doing a little better but still doing it once in a while. I do want to mention I did take her to the vet. Was told she is healthy and looking good does not have parasites nor deficiencies. She has been a little better since I have been back home almost all day and she has no accidents to munch on. She does do it at night which is actually another issue she have. She seems to poop 2 maybe maybe 3 times a day but up to 2-3 times each night consistently. I have tried altering feeding schedules but she seems to just do it at night. Another is that well her stools aren’t really firm to speak of. She has no consistency at all maybe 1 firm 2 slushy and maybe another firm and again slushy ones. And I don’t give her any other food nor treats that much to speak of. So I don’t know if maybe I should try another brand or just different type of protein. Also my wife plays with her fetch and tugowar but I can’t blame her for not getting her face up on Carmen’s mouth. Sorry if I did make it seem as she is just shoved in a corner not really. Just been struggling a lot with these issues which we can’t seem to find a reason and solution.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As the gang mentioned.. this is a great food but the amount could be an issue.

    How much do you feed at each meal and how many meals?

    This article has a good chart as a guideline for feeding high quality kibble. The bag guidelines usually are too high (they want you to buy more).

    English Bulldog News Forums - Why Does My Bulldog Puppy Have Diarrhea?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  17. Likes Cbrugs, helsonwheels, EduDL91 liked this post
  18. #22
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    8,505
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    10170

    Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

    @EduDL91 I’ve fed Nyala n Duke only with acana. Nyala never ate poop but Duke did since a pup. He’s now 2 n rarely eats poop. But I do keep an eye on him. Both are on 100% raw n no kibbles anymore. Duke will eat on very rare occasion Nyala’s poop n not his. This is the million dollar question. But one thing you need to do is your puppy needs a good clean gut. Start giving fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies to his meals. Acana has tripe in their kibbles but add a tad more with real food. This slimy issue will disappear. Also slimy poop can be a sign of stress. Duke went through that too. Nyala is rough with him.

    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...o-do-about-it/

  19. Likes EduDL91 liked this post
  20. #23
    Potty Trainer
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    50
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Carmen
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    As the gang mentioned.. this is a great food but the amount could be an issue.

    How much do you feed at each meal and how many meals?

    This article has a good chart as a guideline for feeding high quality kibble. The bag guidelines usually are too high (they want you to buy more).

    English Bulldog News Forums - Why Does My Bulldog Puppy Have Diarrhea?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iíve actually been feeding her the amount suggested on the article you just sent. Just by pure coincidence so maybe I should tone down a bit or try a different one because she does go slushy and makes sense she might be eating too much. Any suggestions on other brands other than Acana. Also any suggestions to make her breath less stinky? Carmen says hi


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  22. #24
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,771
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    4793

    Default Re: Puppy eats own poop

    Quote Originally Posted by EduDL91 View Post
    I’ve actually been feeding her the amount suggested on the article you just sent. Just by pure coincidence so maybe I should tone down a bit or try a different one because she does go slushy and makes sense she might be eating too much. Any suggestions on other brands other than Acana. Also any suggestions to make her breath less stinky? Carmen says hi


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fromm, Zignature and Earthborn Holistics are also good brands. You can definitely try feeding just a little less or try a different protein within Acana to see if that helps.

  23. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama, EduDL91 liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •