Do you have a picky eater? What kibble brand do you feed your dogs?

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
I have come to learn two things about Finley. The first is that he is a follow-the-leader kind of pup. Meaning, he does as the other does as other dogs do. [He young, 14months.] Second, he is a picky eater at home and home only. Although he has maintained his weight 40 pounds (+/- 2 pounds) over the past 8 months, the pickiness/not eating at home continues to concern me. When at doggy daycare Finley eats what I provide without issue. He is much more active there and does the follow-the-leader thing. This makes sense to me.

When it is just the two of us, he hardly eats. I get that he is not as active, and needs downtime to recover from all the play. But, it can be just the two of us for a solid 7 days, and I am lucky if he eats his evening meal. I keep the same feeding schedule as the daycare of 8 AM and 4 PM. Also, it is the same food. The last few days I have tried something different. I gave him a different brand and flavor (chicken), and he is more inclined to eat at home. However, this makes me nervous because Finley is known to have a sensitive stomach. It takes about a month to switch over to a new food. If I mixed it, he would not take it. If I gave the food right out of the bag he ate, some.

What are your thoughts? Crate him for meals like at the daycare? The daycare owner seems to think he might be depressed and misses his friends when not there.

KGu2fFJtQPCQL22jc8%oBg.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
8-4 might not be enough of a distance in meal time... Iā€™ve always done 12 hour separation. Have you tried that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
8-4 might not be enough of a distance in meal time... Iā€™ve always done 12 hour separation. Have you tried that

Yes, I have. In fact 7a-7p meals are my preference. If I put the bowl out for 20-30 minutes and take it up or not, he isn't eating at home. :(

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, I have. In fact 7a-7p meals are my preference. If I put the bowl out for 20-30 minutes and take it up or not, he isn't eating at home. :(

So bizarre... maybe it is the bowl? Have you tired feeding on a plate or cookie sheet

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Finleyā€™s a peculiar fellow. He has 2 bowls he eat out of and thatā€™s it.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finleyā€™s a peculiar fellow. He has 2 bowls he eat out of and thatā€™s it.

What a stinker!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What a stinker!!
We had a bulldog at a day care I worked at, he would not eat out of his bowl from by.. we had to use a paper plate

Vanillagurilla

Jan 11, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Remington and Ruger
My dogs get fed at 6am and 6pm, sometimes my older girl wont eat breakfast so we will set it aside for later and so my boy doesnt eat it. She will eat dinner later that day though. Shouldn't be an issue unless he doesnt eat for 24hrs. Sometimes if I'm worried I'll put a little bit of cheese or some left over meat in her food but 99% of the time shes ok.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Iā€™ve never had an issue with my boys not eating.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I think he shows that he doesnā€™t like the food. At some point my Tank started to refuse to eat food just because he was tired of the same recipe, and he usually inhales food. I changed protein and everything.
Did you try all the tricks like putting a splash of yoghurt, or raw egg or cup of broth on kibble? Did you try adding some wet or raw food? Or, may be, cooking some broth with pieces of meat and veggies to add to kibble?
I would try something else, because I donā€™t think he is being just picky, I think kibble makes him feel uncomfortable in his tummy, may be he eats and feels bad after and gradually starts to refuse to eat at all.

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
I think he shows that he doesnā€™t like the food. At some point my Tank started to refuse to eat food just because he was tired of the same recipe, and he usually inhales food. I changed protein and everything.
Did you try all the tricks like putting a splash of yoghurt, or raw egg or cup of broth on kibble? Did you try adding some wet or raw food? Or, may be, cooking some broth with pieces of meat and veggies to add to kibble?
I would try something else, because I donā€™t think he is being just picky, I think kibble makes him feel uncomfortable in his tummy, may be he eats and feels bad after and gradually starts to refuse to eat at all.

The thing is, I have considered and implemented different foods, wet, yogurt, gravy, and so on. However, I have never tried a raw egg. The last couple of days I have been mixing kibble with freeze-dried raw. He ate more yesterday. He seems to only want human food which he cannot have. I will keep you posted.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe something like The Honest Kitchen might be an option

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.