Are there any UK members here? Insurance?

McPikie

Feb 18, 2019
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
George
I know this is mainly a US forum, but I wanted to ask some fellow UK'ers about who they are using for pet insurance.

I've had a few quotes from PetPlan, BoughtByMany and the like, but wondered if anyone can actually recommend one?

Our staffie was insured with Animal Friends, but I point blank refuse to use them again after they shafted us when she developed pemphigus

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I know this is mainly a US forum, but I wanted to ask some fellow UK'ers about who they are using for pet insurance.

I've had a few quotes from PetPlan, BoughtByMany and the like, but wondered if anyone can actually recommend one?

Our staffie was insured with Animal Friends, but I point blank refuse to use them again after they shafted us when she developed pemphigus
[MENTION=13960]Zedsded[/MENTION] from UK. And maybe [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] might also know.

I have a credit card just for my dogs if I every need it. Knock on wood.....I havenā€™t used it...Nyala is 3.5 n Duke 2... I personally find in Canada, pet insurance are extremely expensive n I opted for a credit card instead.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
[MENTION=13960]Zedsded[/MENTION] from UK. And maybe [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] might also know.

I have a credit card just for my dogs if I every need it. Knock on wood.....I havenā€™t used it...Nyala is 3.5 n Duke 2... I personally find in Canada, pet insurance are extremely expensive n I opted for a credit card instead.

Just got Jax's insurance renewal. It was $103 a month and now it's $176 a month!! Huge increase but considering his issues and potential for more surgeries, still worth it for him. Louie has a lower plan and it costs $37 a month but I am contemplating canceling it for him. Although with my luck, as soon as I do something will happen. Or I just keep it for peace of mind. Hmmmm....I don't know.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Just got Jax's insurance renewal. It was $103 a month and now it's $176 a month!! Huge increase but considering his issues and potential for more surgeries, still worth it for him. Louie has a lower plan and it costs $37 a month but I am contemplating canceling it for him. Although with my luck, as soon as I do something will happen. Or I just keep it for peace of mind. Hmmmm....I don't know.

$37 covers for what exactly? Here is Canada when I called for Nyala was $250 a month!!! Trupanion something like that.. can you imagine 250 a month and sheā€™s 3.5yrs old?!?!? Thatā€™s like 9000$ given out... why I got a credit card. Too expensive here.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
$37 covers for what exactly? Here is Canada when I called for Nyala was $250 a month!!! Trupanion something like that.. can you imagine 250 a month and sheā€™s 3.5yrs old?!?!? Thatā€™s like 9000$ given out... why I got a credit card. Too expensive here.

It's the major medical plan. So basically it covers certain things for example if Louie ate something and needed surgery to remove it, they would cover a portion after a $250 deductible. I do have a credit card that I have only been using for vet things like Jax's acupuncture and laser, etc. and then when I get the payment from insurance, I pay the credit card. The more I think about it, the more I think I can cancel Louie's and if something were to happen, just use the credit card. That will then help offset the increase in Jax's insurance.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It's the major medical plan. So basically it covers certain things for example if Louie ate something and needed surgery to remove it, they would cover a portion after a $250 deductible. I do have a credit card that I have only been using for vet things like Jax's acupuncture and laser, etc. and then when I get the payment from insurance, I pay the credit card. The more I think about it, the more I think I can cancel Louie's and if something were to happen, just use the credit card. That will then help offset the increase in Jax's insurance.

Why Iā€™m keeping both on raw, human grade food as treats, essentials oils, fermented sauerkraut or veggies etc..

You feed them well too so every bit counts.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do the same as Helene... a credit card on hand just for the boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
McPikie

McPikie

Feb 18, 2019
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Best quote I have at the moment is like Ā£100 per month, for life. This covers all eventualities and is Ā£100 excess for each item claimed.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I never had pet insurance in the UK. I had it here for my Dachshund as we got him as a puppy but it kept going up so much every year that I cancelled it. The excess to be paid for every claim also made it not worth it. Monty, we got as a 4 year old so pre-existing conditions applied. We now have a dedicated pet savings account that is added to every month (and an unused credit card if absolutely necessary).

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Best quote I have at the moment is like Ā£100 per month, for life. This covers all eventualities and is Ā£100 excess for each item claimed.

What I would look into, apart from costs, is what the insurance covers. Have they specifically said they cover anaything for bulldogs? We signed Castor up for an animal insurance company which is linked to our ordinary insurance company. Pure luck as that their bulldog insurance actually covered 75% or so of Castor's soft palate surgery costs. Only after his surgery did I learn that most insurance companies here don't cover such breed-specific problem surgery. So make sure your insurance actually covers bulldog issues.

It's difficult to comapare prices between countries, of course, but Ā£100 per month sounds quite a lot for months without vet visits. We pay approximately Ā£36 per month, and the insurance excess works like this: for a period of 125 days, we pay the first Ā£130 of vet/hospital costs plus 25% of the remaining cost. This has worked out like this: if Castor has had several expensive vet visits within a few months, we have paid for the first visit but much less for the remining ones. For periods when he doesn't need any vet visits, we only pay Ā£36 per month.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi, sorry to hear you had a bad experience with animal friends but thatā€™s who Dudley is insured with and so far (fingers crossed) they have paid out, that said we have had him insured since he was a puppy at Ā£54/$69 a month and never claimed once in over 4 years including many, many! Trips to the vets for all the usual checks and meds but having had two operations this year (the second of which luckily he had AFTER his renewal quote) the payment has now gone up to Ā£86/$111 a month. Obviously this will be going up again next year when the second operation is taken in to account :(

Kellylowe31

Oct 28, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Ronnie
I'm from UK. We use 4paws it's an umbrella of Aviva and we pay 51 pound a month and get life cover Have used it twice and they have paid out.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online