Nails keep breaking and bleeding

Richard S

Nov 5, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
Hi all,

Jax is now 8 months old and doing well but lately when we take him for walks his nails start bleeding, mainly 1 nail on 1 paw but once there were 3 nails bleeding so sometimes more then one.

Friend of mind told me to stop walking him on the sidewalk as it files the nails down to low which I did, when I take him to the park we walk thru the grass instead of the sidewalk which helps but his regular walks are around the block and:mellow: on the sidewalk, we try to walk him on grass patches to avoid the sidewalk but I guess not enough, he is a strong dog too so when he pulls or sees another dog I guess he has a chance to chip the nail further.

So I guess my question is what is a preventive action for this? Is this a regular thing with bulldogs and there nails that sensitive? He loves to go out and hate to deny that to him, not sure what to do. Do I have to get him stupid shoes to wear? I sure hope not.

Also what is the best way to stop the bleeding? I used peroxide and hold a paper towel to it until it stops.

Thanks in advance for your help.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=18704]Richard S[/MENTION]. Donā€™t deny him from walking. My dogs walks on sidewalks only as I donā€™t like them smelling grass as thatā€™s how they can get worms smelling other dogs poop etc. And yes great way filing their nails. Have you brought him to the vet to make sure nothing broken inside towards the root or cuticle? Any redness aside from blood of course? Peroxide will dry a nail so you will need to put like a balm for paws. Paws needs moisture. Try to look with a flashlight/cell phone light if you see anything lingering in between the toes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If you boy is like my Lambeau.. drags his paws and doesnā€™t lift to walk... then walks need to be limited. If we walk Lambeau more than twice a week, his nails will all bleed and break.

We tried so many things.. not trimming, nail covers, grass only... after two years of trying tricks... we just went to limited walking. We are lucky and have a fenced in yard, so it is an option for us. If not an option for you, then grass walks are they only answer.... but to Heleneā€™s point... be sure he is up to date on all shots to keep illnesses at bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dukeā€™s is a ā€œknuckle draggerā€ When he walks his front right paw goes under then back up. I simply add Musher's Secret Pet Paw balm n massage it more onto that side of his paw. Also you can buy ā€œvets wrapā€ just for his walk. But do have him checked in case something is stuck in there.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Dukeā€™s is a ā€œknuckle draggerā€ When he walks his front right paw goes under then back up. I simply add Musher's Secret Pet Paw balm n massage it more onto that side of his paw. Also you can buy ā€œvets wrapā€ just for his walk. But do have him checked in case something is stuck in there.

Yep.. knuckle draggedā€”- here is his paw after a walk this morning

ac53f166cc80e003ceca3ab86f93654c.jpg

OP
R

Richard S

Nov 5, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
Thanks everyone for your responses. It is definitely bleeding from the nail shaving down to the vein or whatever you call it.

Does anyone have pictures on how to do the Vet Wraps?

Also what supplements can I get him to strengthen up his nails?

Even now we wants to go out and walk so bad, I will take him to the front lawn I guess.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone for your responses. It is definitely bleeding from the nail shaving down to the vein or whatever you call it.

Even now we wants to go out and walk so bad, I will take him to the front lawn I guess.

Vet wrap is basically like a stretchable clingy wrap. Just wrap completely around the paw and a bit above the paw. Make sure the cut end of the wrap ends on the front side n not the back. Then tighten only with a small squeeze from your hand and it will cling on its own. You have to try it to understand. Really easy.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

You can get it in pretty much any color
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E0730A-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.