KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Ollie had his follow-up vet appointment on Monday. His injured leg was most likely muscle pull. After a week of crate and Rimadyl, it's fine.

Now onto the bigger issue, the right hip dysplasia...We need to do the consult with the orthopedic surgeon. We have insurance. The best advice I ever got was "get a bulldog, Get insurance." One thing in Ollie's favor, he's young. Here are the logistics...
Ollie has 6 more weeks of Basic II Obedience. I have already paid for 4 more private sessions of Service Dog Training. I really don't want Ollie to loose his momentum with the training.

Also we need to go to Winter Park/Orlando for 2 days and this will be Ollie's longest car ride (2 hrs) and his first overnight hotel stay. We'll be doing his first restaurants. To say I'm nervous is an understatement. On May 14th WE HAVE TO go to Canada so I can say good-bye to my 93 year old Dad. Ollie will again have to stay in a hotel the night before we fly out, go through TSA, get on plane etc. etc. Etc. This is huge for us. One of the things I always worked on with teachers was for them to be proactive rather than reactive. To this end, there is a county transit bus that stops out in front of our neighborhood gates. I have discovered that Ollie and I can ride this bus for free. We could even go as far as Tampa on it (40 miles, 2 hrs) but I'm sure Id never need or want to. Anyway, I can get on here and get off at the first stop which is Walmart, just about 5 miles down the road. Ollie and I can meander around Walmart and eat at the Subway in there and then hop the bus back. John said he will go with me the first time "Just in case." I told him he can't talk to me or Ollie because we have to concentrate and he can sit nearby, but not with us. He has to be like a United Nations observer and only step in if needed.

So, I will schedule the ortho consult for after we get back from Canada and after Ollie completes School II and his 4 other sessions. And, FINALLY (yes, there is an end to all this drivel), for those who remember our discussion about Ollie's crooked front end alignment
the vet said the weaker right hip is causing him to compensate and lead with his stronger left foot/side. Seems possible to me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You have a busy schedule... hopefully the HD is not that severe and with supplements and limited jumping he will be fine.

Good luck with your bus ride, keep us postedā€” Iā€™m sure he will do great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
You have a busy schedule... hopefully the HD is not that severe and with supplements and limited jumping he will be fine.

Good luck with your bus ride, keep us postedā€” Iā€™m sure he will do great

Can you recommend a supplement?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
People have great success with CBD oil. Glucosamine is good for joints as well. You can also try acupuncture and laser therapy.

All if what Citty suggested....

We use Movoflex and laser therapy.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Great plans - taking the bus and having your husband stand by sounds like a good plan!

When you go to hotel/restautrant - do you need to take Ollie into the restaurant? Unless you are meeting up with other people for dinner, perhaps you can have food sent to your room? We have taken Castor to hotels on a few occasions and it has been ok but we haven't enjoyed our dinners but only eaten quickly and headed back to the room.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Great plans - taking the bus and having your husband stand by sounds like a good plan!

When you go to hotel/restautrant - do you need to take Ollie into the restaurant? Unless you are meeting up with other people for dinner, perhaps you can have food sent to your room? We have taken Castor to hotels on a few occasions and it has been ok but we haven't enjoyed our dinners but only eaten quickly and headed back to the room.

Well, I understand what you ate saying but if heā€™s going to be my service dog he has to do a ā€œplace, down and stayā€ while we eat. He has to carry my special eating utensils, metal straw etc. Its his job now.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
I don't have much advice, BUT OLLIE YOU GOT THIS!! Much love from Ellie

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Well, I understand what you ate saying but if heā€™s going to be my service dog he has to do a ā€œplace, down and stayā€ while we eat. He has to carry my special eating utensils, metal straw etc. Its his job now.

Ah, yes, of course. Sorry; I know but forgot and was thinking of him as a pet.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Ah, yes, of course. Sorry; I know but forgot and was thinking of him as a pet.

I know. Itā€™s a transition for us too. I have to stop thinking of him as my sweet baby boy and start thinking of him as my partner.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I know. Itā€™s a transition for us too. I have to stop thinking of him as my sweet baby boy and start thinking of him as my partner.

Ollie in a restaurants n youā€™re nervous?? Lol. Donā€™t forget photos!!!

Once you cross Canada, CBD is legal throughout the country. Just walk into a Cannabis store buy some. Not sure if you can cross it back though. If youā€™re not sure what to get this link tells you which one for pets. https://wccannabis.ca/product-category/cbd/ (Look for the PET one) . I personally would start immediately putting NON diluted Frankincense. It will help him enormously. Or get a drop of CO in the palm of your hand, add a good 8 drops n start massaging. Do it daily. Might help your hands too as your massaging it into Ollie.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Good luck on the bus, and in the restaurant... I think the cannabis oil is a great idea. I keep reading wonderful things about it...

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online