My Tate is in the hospital

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Oh my .... that is just awful!!! I am so sorry that you have been through this, and I just want to repeat what everybody else has said, that it's not something you can blame yourself for. I'm guessing we are all guilty of leaving electrical cords open for a puppy to chew on!! I'm just glad that it sounds as if he is getting so much better already!! :hug:

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Prayers for little Tate! Please don't blame yourself! It could happen to any one of us! Belly constantly has things in her mouth. We actually had her x rayed just to make sure we didn't miss her having something and she swallowed it. It is impossible to totally puppy proof your house. They find EVERYTHING! I'm sure it is a lesson learned for all of us to be more watchful of those curious bullies! Thinking of you and the little guy! :heart:

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I am just glad to read that he's showing signs of improvement. And said a prayer for the lil' fella myself. I'm just glad that you were home and seen and heard him. And that you were able to get him so quickly to a medical facility that could treat him. I would image that in itself has helped his progress so far. Keep us posted...and as the other said...Accidents happen...they are unintentional...and never planned. You can not blame yourself for this...just focus on his getting better. And...that possibly this may also alert others to possibly recheck their puppy proof homes...

(((HUGS)))

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Oh my!! I am sorry to hear about Tate. We are sending prayers your way!!! Hoping for a fast recovery. :hug:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Poor Mr. Tate! You can never be too careful. The littlest things happen and you wouldn't ever think it was possible. Vegas R was playing downstairs and ended up putting his head thru the glass on our entertainment center. He just was too close and he turned really fast when he was playing with his sister. He also got into the pantry and (even tho I had a baby gate on the inside of the door) managed to get into and eat some corn meal...then got sick. (he probably thought it was shake 'n bake...which he loves. YouTube - Vegas and the shake 'n bake.) He also got into the lazy susan. You actually have to push it in and turn it...but he did it. He proceeded to bring out about 10 different spices..and got sick. YouTube - Don't ever teach your dog how to open and close doors...

My point in letting you view some of my bad bully-parent moments is this... nobody can protect their babies 100% of the time. But what you did do...and what you are doing is more important. You took care of what needed to be taken care of and you got Mr. Tate the help that was needed. Because of you..he's still here with us. You love him and that is apparent. You would do anything for him...and that is evident.
So don't beat yourself up too badly.
And thanks for sharing your story.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi, and thanks again for all the words of encouragement and support. I really appreciate it so much.

I just came back from the hospital and Tate is doing better! The Vet said his lungs look clearer, and he's definitely breathing normally now, and not on extra oxygen anymore. While i was there he ate some food and licked the bowl clean(!), and i got to hold him and give him as many kisses as i could!!:heart:
He in turn kept licking my face and boy, did that feel so wonderful! i'm SO THANKFUL for his improvement, SO THANKFUL for friends like you on this board, and for the Vets and Vet techs who are helping to care for my baby while he's in the hospital.

The doc said i should come tomorrow in the morning to pick him up (given everything goes well thru the night), and will take him to the regular vet's office for a check up, and possibly have him stay the day there...not sure yet.

I know this was an accident and I know i should not beat myself up for it. I am thankful that i was home when this happened and that the vet's office was only 10 min away (tho it felt like hours away as i was driving Tate there yesterday). This whole ordeal has made me realize how fragile life is and how precious Tate is to me. When i held him this evening and he was licking my face, my heart was bursting with joy. Just 24hrs ago i wasn't sure if he was going to make it. So, every day with him, every moment really, is something i will not take for granted again.

Thank you.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hi, and thanks again for all the words of encouragement and support. I really appreciate it so much.

I know this was an accident and I know i should not beat myself up for it. I am thankful that i was home when this happened and that the vet's office was only 10 min away (tho it felt like hours away as i was driving Tate there yesterday). This whole ordeal has made me realize how fragile life is and how precious Tate is to me. When i held him this evening and he was licking my face, my heart was bursting with joy. Just 24hrs ago i wasn't sure if he was going to make it. So, every day with him, every moment really, is something i will not take for granted again.

Thank you.

This is another reason for the argument behind kennels. The safest place for our babies when we are not around is in a crate/kennel! I just recently started kenneling Vegas while we are away. He use to have free roam downstairs. But..if he's ontop of his kennel and has a seizure, he could fall and seriously hurt himself. Or he finds something he's not supposed to have and entertains himself with it.

I'm so glad Tate is better. I can't wait to see some new photos of him!

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] said it perfectly, you acted fast and in a moment of sheer panic you did what needed to be done, got Tate to the vet and saved his life. I am soo glad he is fine and has come through this ordeal.
I wil give Lucy an extra big snuggle for Tate tonight and pray that he is home safe soon xxx

Daphne

Dec 31, 2010
OMG!! I am so sorry to hear about poor Tate! You guys will be in our prayers and will keep fingers and paws crossed, poor baby

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh how wonderful to be able to bring him home! Please take pics for us and give him extra hugs from all of us here too. :hug:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Oh poor Tate and poor you.. I will say lots of prayers for you both.. and yes take good care of you .. he needs his mommie :hug: I think we all blame ourselves no matter what our bullies do.

Hang in there and keep us posted. :heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.